Building a Factory Engine, Elmer's #41 (Finished on 2-28-10)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
#1 After two days of cleaning and organizing my shop I'm happy and ready to start another build. The (before) picture below shows the sad condition of my bench work surface. The bar stock picture was the only one I could find showing the old surface. I would usually avoiding taking any close up photos of it for obvious reasons.

p1020939u.jpg

#2 The bench (after) eliminating some of the clutter and the application of a better 'Rubber Maid' work surface. Now it has a more inviting look and feel. On the left is my old grinder. When I run it anything on the bench that's not bolted down usually ends up on the floor. The access to it is also very difficult. The clean up yielded a smooth running grinder hidden and forgotten for years.

p1020942.jpg

#3 The photo angle below was not possible in the past. At the bottom you can see a red lamp shade over a second work bench that was buried with boxes. The boxes were also in front of it, making access to the bench impossible.

p1020943.jpg

#4 Below is the second work bench. The grinder was not seen by me for 15 years or more. My main bench is on the right and perpendicular to this bench.

p1020944h.jpg

#5 Milling the aluminum 'floor' plate to start off the build.

p1020951.jpg

#6 I milled the 'base' and 'sub base' also from aluminum.

p1020952e.jpg

#7 That's all I got so far. Not much but its a start. Just like a journey that starts with the first few steps, an engine build starts with the first few parts. I number parts in progress for easy identification of the build model by the viewing audience. It's not for my benefit, I usually remember which engine I'm building. Usually... :big:

p1020954.jpg

-MB

Boy, MB, you're really starting to embarrass me here. I haven't finished one engine in over 6 months and I'm retired as well! Man, you're making me look bad. Worse, you're making me feel bad!

You know I'm kiddin, right? :big: I love to see this kind of enthusiasm for the hobby. Keep up the great work (and the free entertainment for the rest of us metal heads)!

Chuck

Didn't know if ya catch that, so I removed the question. Your too darn quick.

Looks to be an interesting build. Alot of aspects look to be the same as the #33 that I'm building. Looking forward to your progress. I'm sure it will be done shortly, with the assembly line you seem to have going there......LOL.

Not much new here today. The wife was looking for a copilot on a quick trip for supplies for her hair solan, its 50 miles one way. So I went with her for the company "and the New Harbor Freight store in that city". Its a great thing, it is right next to her supply place. Only came home with a 3/8 air ratchet for $19.99 for the 5c collet chuck. When I got home I see the UPS was here, and the backplates showed up. Ahh.......more cast dust on everything to come. ;)

1hand said:
Looks to be an interesting build. Alot of aspects look to be the same as the #33 that I'm building. Looking forward to your progress. I'm sure it will be done shortly, with the assembly line you seem to have going there......LOL.

I see the UPS was here, and the back plates showed up. Ahh.......more cast dust on everything to come. ;)

I was going to build the #33, but some one already grabbed it! ::)

Oohoo. UPS, my favorite guy! Let us know how well those cast iron plates machine for you. You did get them from LMS?

Cast iron dust! do it on your own thread. I just cleaned this place up! :big:

-MB

cfellows said:
Boy, MB, you're really starting to embarrass me here. I haven't finished one engine in over 6 months and I'm retired as well! Man, you're making me look bad. Worse, you're making me feel bad!

You know I'm kiddin, right? :big: I love to see this kind of enthusiasm for the hobby. Keep up the great work (and the free entertainment for the rest of us metal heads)!

Chuck

Entertainment! Is that all I am around here! :big:

-MB

BigBore said:
Entertainment? Nah, you are just another pretty face.... :big:

Thanks for doing the posts that you do. They are gold for a beginner! Thm:

Ed

Thanks! I'm glad your getting some benefit and enjoyment from my build threads and posts. 8)

I came late, and all the big crowd pleaser's like V-8's and complex radials were already taken. All that was left was Elmers engines to choose from. Its generally a thank- less job, but it needs to be done. ;D

-MB

OK, MB, I'll play your little game. Thanks, but not so much as if you'd built a V-8. Glad you're there to do the job. There, feel validated now? :big: :big: :big:

(I hope you know that I'm kidding, I've much enjoyed following your builds.)

Joe

Rick, you're a mad man!!! You keep spitting these things out like they're made of plastic.
George

joe d said:
OK, MB, I'll play your little game. Thanks, but not so much as if you'd built a V-8. Glad you're there to do the job. There, feel validated now? :big: :big: :big:

(I hope you know that I'm kidding, I've much enjoyed following your builds.)

Joe

Thanks Joe. Yes! Yes! Yes! Finally I feel validated! :big: :big: :big: Ha! gotcha!

Seriously, I'm glad you enjoy the builds I post. If no one did, then what would be the point of my efforts.

-MB

That's a real cozy little hideaway you got going there MB. It does the mind good to cleanse things once in a great while. Besides that it allows for more engines to be built. ;D Looking forward as always to some more adventures in metal to keep me occupied for a few weeks. (days?) :big:

BC1
Jim

gbritnell said:
Rick, you're a mad man!!! You keep spitting these things out like they're made of plastic.
George

George, shhhh, don't tell any one. I have these made by a professional model maker, and they ARE plastic. I just wish I could afford to buy more than two a month. ;D

-MB

I'm glad to see some shots of your shop, Rick. For some reason, I had the idea you might be one of those clean freaks. Now I see you have a comfortably "normal" shop, like so many of us. Somewhere between a surgical room, and a toxic waste dump. Normal.

Metal Butcher said:
Seriously, I'm glad you enjoy the builds I post. If no one did, then what would be the point of my efforts.
-MB

Well, you could just build them because you enjoy it, like people did in the good ol' days before the interwebs.

Dean

Deanofid said:
well, you could just build them because you enjoy it, like people did in the good ol' days before the interwebs.
Dean

I do! I build them because I enjoy it. I didn't want to sound like I was whining, but picture and text posting takes up a lot of time.

But then so what, I have plenty of time to do it all.

Cleaning; "A ridicules waste of time creating a temporary solution for a reoccurring event." :big:

-MB

BigBore said:
Thanks for doing the posts that you do. They are gold for a beginner! Thm:

Ed

Ed,
I couldn't have said it better myself.

MB,
Thanks.

Sean

Deanofid said:
I'm glad to see some shots of your shop, Rick. For some reason, I had the idea you might be one of those clean freaks. Now I see you have a comfortably "normal" shop, like so many of us. Somewhere between a surgical room, and a toxic waste dump. Normal.

What a relief - I finally have someone that I can identify with! :big:

Metal Butcher said:
Cleaning; "A ridicules waste of time creating a temporary solution for a reoccurring event."
-MB

Yeah, it sure seems that way!
It does make the shop a welcoming refuge, though.

So... What color ya gonna paint this engine?

Dean

Deanofid said:
Yeah, it sure seems that way!
It does make the shop a welcoming refuge, though.

So... What color ya gonna paint this engine?

Dean

We all get that 'gotta clean up' feeling (normally) when the chips pile up. I usually do a 5 min 'vacuum up' at the end of the day. Its nice to see the shop in a reasonable state when I go down first thing in the morning. Its that last 5-10 percent that I feel is a Waste of time, unless of course your trying to impress a perfectionist, or are one.

"So... What color ya gonna paint this engine?" That's funny Dean! :big:

Got wood? I just ordered boards cut from 7-8 different species. I don't want all my engines to start looking alike. ;D

-MB

#8. I roughed out a few more 'blanks' that will require further opperations to become usable parts. I usually mill quite a few pieces and then switch over to layout, drilling, and reaming. Latter I'll finish them up with any final profile milling before starting all over again with milling the next few blanks.
The picture below shows the 'bearing' blanks milled out. I try to get them within .001 in outside dimension to simplify the layout and subsequent machining operations.

p1020960b.jpg

#9. Here I'm milling the 'anchor lugs' to the correct height. The 'Ultra Thin Parallels' become very useful on small pieces like this since their height increments are at 1/16".

p1020962.jpg

#10. I had some 1/4" square aluminum stock on hand and milled it down to 3/16" in height after cutting it to the specified length.

p1020963r.jpg

#11. I cut strips from 3/16" x 1" brass rectangular stock and milled them down to the specified heights for the upper and lower halves of the 'crosshead guides'.

p1020966b.jpg

#12. The upper and lower 'crosshead guide' blanks are ready for the next steps.

p1020969u.jpg

Today was my shopping day so I generally only post the previos days work. I did my usual routines that end with a stop at my favorite scrap yard. Today's finds were modest and include 8-lbs of aluminum 1/4" plate, and roughly 2-ft each of 5/8" square and 5/8" round 360 brass bars. Getting nice brass makes my day.

My lumber order came in today. It consists of random 1/2" thick boards with widths ranging between 4-1/2" to 6-1/2" wide by roughly 2-ft in length. I ordered interesting looking pieces from an on-line seller (E-Bay) that lists and photographs individual pieces. So what you see, is what you get, and I like buying that way vs a stock photo with, "Your item will vary from the picture".? The wood looks great and includes: Walnut, Che-Chen, Bubinga, Cherry, White-oak, Canarywood, Red-Oak, and Mahogany.

Should be enough for a few engines, I think.... :big:

-MB

Rick, can you provide the name of that ebay seller? Seeing what you're really getting will help loads.

Thanks,

Dean

Latest posts

Back