Building #52, Elmers RVTW

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, that's a neat trick with the straw. I could have used that today.

You're braver than me with that .025 DOC, I was doing .005 and thought I was pushing it when I went to .010.
I do the dead slow, too. I got pretty nervous the first time I saw the end mill bend :eek:

ksouers said:
Hey, that's a neat trick with the straw. I could have used that today.

You're braver than me with that .025 DOC, I was doing .005 and thought I was pushing it when I went to .010.
I do the dead slow, too. I got pretty nervous the first time I saw the end mill bend :eek:

That bending is no good! It throws the cut off at a right angle to the cutters path by a few thou, or so. Go slower, the bend says so. ;D

-MB

MB,

I first tried to cut some splines with a 1/16 4 flute end mill. It took all of 7 Min's to break 2 $16 end mills. That's when I discovered A thing call a Slitting Saw...........Live and learn, costly at times.. ;D

I have some 3" parallels but their 1/8". I can see where them thinner ones would be nice for the tiny stuff.

1hand said:
MB,

I first tried to cut some splines with a 1/16 4 flute end mill. It took all of 7 Min's to break 2 $16 end mills. That's when I discovered A thing call a Slitting Saw...........Live and learn, costly at times.. ;D

I have some 3" parallels but their 1/8". I can see where them thinner ones would be nice for the tiny stuff.

Maybe you went to fast, or to deep? That will cause a problem! ;D

I was thinking about using my slitting saw, but decide to use the end mill instead. More set up time on the slitting saw than the end mill since the piece was already set up after drilling the hole for the valve pin. Its actually wasn't much of a cut for the end mill.

Put those thin ones on your 'priority' wish list. There's some good deals on E-Bay for about $23, I think.

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
That bending is no good! It throws the cut off at a right angle to the cutters path by a few thou, or so. Go slower, the bend says so. ;D

-MB

Yeah, when I saw it bend I backed off. Nuttin' but slow for those things, for sure. ;D

#62 Finally, the project is done! I got side tracked quite a bit, and so it took longer than I originally anticipated. This was my slowest build to date. And It took 26 days from start to finish. Below are the final pictures of my modified version of Elmer's #52 Reversible Vertical Twin Wobbler. Thanks for your patients and support.

p1020906b.jpg

p1020907v.jpg

p1020914e.jpg

p1020915.jpg

#66 The video below was supposed to be a test. But I liked it well enough to post. My previos videos all have an orange cast and are generally out of focus. Not knowing anything about cameras I thought the 'video mode' would auto focus. On good advice from Dean (Deanofid) and help from my 'picture guy' I found and adjusted the 'white balance' that eliminated the orange cast, and overall improved the video quality. I hope you enjoy the video. Thanks for the advice Dean!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGjAAH2hWQ[/ame]

-MB

You where busy this morning I see! Real nice runner there. Like the contrast of the paint, brass, and alum.
The lever turned out great, and very functional I see.

Congratulations, and job well done!! ;D

Matt

Beautiful work, MB. I particularly like the subdued paint you use on your models. It looks suitably machinery-like, yet very tasteful. (I'm of the school who thinks engines should not be shiny - buffers are for jewelers.)

mklotz said:
Beautiful work, MB. I particularly like the subdued paint you use on your models. It looks suitably machinery-like, yet very tasteful. (I'm of the school who thinks engines should not be shiny - buffers are for jewelers.)

Hey, I resemble that remark! What comedian was it who used to say that?

I can it see both ways. I used to love going to the Autorama (car show) and checking out the hot rods with their glorious shiny engines but I also like the mix of paint and metal grain look that MB uses.

MB, you're a virtual machine yourself, cranking them out like the parts were off-the-shelf. Nice job. I'm still working on the Open column twin...

Outstanding job Rick!! You're going to have to get off that, Oh shucks I just hack metal routine. Your work is up there with the big boys now. I agree with Marv, I like the finish on your engines and this one is real classy.
George

Beautiful runner MB!

I like the "real machine" look of it as well.

Rick

Great job, MB!

I like the way that runs. Very clean.

I also like the looks, another one for the "industrial" look.

It looks just great, Rick, and runs like a top!
Good machining, an appropriate amount of finish work, and proof of life make this one another winner.
Well done. Well done.

The vid quality is better too, but I miss the Doors. ; )

Dean

Was just cruising through the posts...haven't had nearly as much time to play as I'd like...but your video stopped me cold.

Very nice. Beautiful. And what everyone said about the finish.

Hi Rick

Another beauty! I still really like that ship-side gray :big:

Congrats,

Joe

Wow! I'm overwhelmed by all the wonderful responses to my finished build, and I don't know what to say. ???

1hand, mklotz, Troutsqueezer, gbritnell, rake60, ksouers, BigBore, Deanofid, zeeprogramer, and joe d.

I really appreciate all the support and inspiration you have given.
With out this forum and members like you, I would not be progressing the way I have since joining. It seems that displaying my engines on this forum inspires me to try harder to improve the quality of my work.

Thank you for your support! :bow:

-MB

Nice job MB, very tidy indeed

MB,

Another masterpiece. :bow: I wanted to say something original about your paint and finish style but everyone beat me to it. It's unique and absolutely complements you machine work - patent it before some downunder nerd copies it, (well they would if they could machine that well). :p

Best Regards
Bob

Back