Brilliant design work ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
The last nut is a large left hand ALUMINUM NUT on a rusty STEEL shaft under the agitator..All I have room for is channel lock pliers.......brilliant design work!
the above statement by steamer on his washing machine thread got me thinking. what criminal stupidity have you come across while fixing things.

I work as a scale mechanic we do our best to service all makes and models.
we have several customers that are in food service one of them makes sandwich steaks by the ton. or so it seems they pack in ten pound boxes so scales are important.
they bought some scales off the internet we had to service them . aluminum load cell on a stainless steel frame inside a "protective" stainless steel cover. this is a true recipe for corrosion. the cell on these scales were swollen and flaking and falling apart. and you can not buy stainless cell in that size and configuration arg. so they will be back probably in a year or so.
Hmm if you connect a wire to the cell and one to the frame will it power itself??
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
the above statement by steamer on his washing machine thread got me thinking. what criminal stupidity have you come across while fixing things.

I work as a scale mechanic we do our best to service all makes and models.
we have several customers that are in food service one of them makes sandwich steaks by the ton. or so it seems they pack in ten pound boxes so scales are important.
they bought some scales off the internet we had to service them . aluminum load cell on a stainless steel frame inside a "protective" stainless steel cover. this is a true recipe for corrosion. the cell on these scales were swollen and flaking and falling apart. and you can not buy stainless cell in that size and configuration arg. so they will be back probably in a year or so.
Hmm if you connect a wire to the cell and one to the frame will it power itself??
Tin

Tin

I'm having trouble following you on this one. Can you explain it a bit better for those (me) that don't understand it. Thanks.

Cheers :)

Don

what criminal stupidity have you come across while fixing things.

what design issues have you come across that are just plain wrong and stupid.

in the case I gave as an example the aluminum block small anode is attached to to a large cathode the stainless steel . in essence they build a primitive battery . and in this case the aluminum block the load cell is subject to severe corrosion hence the poor stupid design.
more on corrosion here look at chapter 3 good basic stuff to know for a home shop machinist.

http://www.robins.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-091006-032.pdf

this is stuff I learned in college Chem class then again in my Air force career.

Tin

Tin Falcon said:
what design issues have you come across that are just plain wrong and stupid.

in the case I gave as an example the aluminum block small anode is attached to to a large cathode the stainless steel . in essence they build a primitive battery . and in this case the aluminum block the load cell is subject to severe corrosion hence the poor stupid design.
more on corrosion here look at chapter 3 good basic stuff to know for a home shop machinist.

http://www.robins.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-091006-032.pdf

this is stuff I learned in college Chem class then again in my Air force career.

Tin

Tin

Now I understand. I thought that you were talking about scales and weighing meat/food products. What you were really talking about was batteries. Thanks

Cheers :)

Don

they were supposed to design a good scale they designed a good battery instead now you see the problem with the picture. .
tin

What Tin is talking about is Galvanic Corrosion. Take two alloys with different locations on the galvanic scale and put them together in the presents of a electrolyte....and voila....corrosion!....I can 't think of a better lock nut than one made out of aluminum on a steel shaft....we'll se if PB blaster gets in there.....

Dave

and IIRC animal blood is a pretty good electrolyte. as is dirty laundry water.
Tin

Right Tin
as is wash water!

This would never have been allowed any place Ive worked

Its still soaking....,

Having to drop all the tranny mounts and take out the right hand side shaft on a 87 Nissan Stanza to get the rear spark plugs changed....found out later they fired only on the exhaust stroke for emissions only as it had 8 plugs on the 4 cylinders.

NEVER CHANGED THEM AGAIN!.....still looking for the sop who designed that beauty! :big:

Dave

Back