Bore Measuring

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lohring, I suppose the 4 ball gauge must be held on axis or it gives a cosine error.
What technique you use to keep the gauge on axis or the base perpendicular to the bore axis?

That error would apply to most of the bore measuring techniques. It is very small even with a several degree misalignment. The ball gauge measures over a small range. If the cylinder holding the balls has a small clearance in the nominal bore that error will be almost non existent. The article I posted suggests a tapered ring around the cylinder. Look at the picture. That completely solves the problem.

Lohring Miller

I have a vernier caliper with rounded jaws on the outside edge allowing the measuring of bores.These have limitations as you can't detect a taper in the bore.I made a set of differet size size tapered parallels with round edges on the staight side ,used in different formats measuring with a mike gives an accurate reading .I will still make one of the guages shown.
Frank

Latest posts

Back