boiler pump

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonsteam

Reaction score
I was setting up my boiler pump on a "T" connector with the steam line. When I pumped water into the boiler, some of it went down the steam line and fouled the steam engine. What is the best way to connect a boiler pump to the boiler?

Thanks

Through a clack valve mounted in the boiler shell.

clack.JPG

clack.JPG

Since I'm a serious "newbie" can you explain what a "clack valve" is?

Thanks!!

oregonsteam said:
Since I'm a serious "newbie" can you explain what a "clack valve" is?

Thanks!!

I second that.

Ron

Perhaps someone could give me a simple sketch of this "check" valve so I could build one on my lathe.

Thanks!

Although I do not have any drawings for such a device, they should be readily available on the internet, though it may take a bit of searching to find. These check valves are basically a one-way device used to allow the passage of fluids in only one direction. They get the nickname 'clack valve' from the sound that they make when activated, an audible 'clack' sound. Also they sometimes have been known to oscillate open and closed rapidly during their operation, thus again producing an audible, very annoying and distinct sound. You will require one in your water supply line OS in order to prevent the hydraulic conditions you described. You may have to install an additional bung in the boiler shell to accommodate this line if you do not have a spare fitting available.

BC1
Jim

I don't want to sound too dumb here, but doesn't that mean that your water pressure source has to be higher than the pressure in your boiler.

Brian,

The output pressure from your feed pump or injector must be higher than the boiler pressure else the feed water cannot overcome the boiler pressure and supply more water as the steam is used by the process. The clack or non return valve prevents water at boiler pressure from going back into the feed system.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob. I was thinking along the lines of feed water coming from the kitchen tap at 40 PSI--and couldn't see how that was going to work. I didn't realize that there would be a high pressure pump or injector, but now that I think about it, that only makes sense.---Brian

'clacks' are classic one-way valves. You might also want to look at 'goodall' style boiler filler valves-- they use a bit of silicone tubing in place of the clack ball.

In any case, T-ing it into the steam line to the engine is going to get water in the engine-- you can't put a one-way valve on it or the steam won't get to it.

RobWilson said:
Hi Here you go, hope it helps
checkvalve.jpg

Regards Rob

That's the type of clack I make, in a variety of sizes to suit the application. Just be aware, however, that Rob's drawing is 90° out of orientation to the way it goes - the bottommost screwed spigot goes into the shell/bush bringing the 1/8" passage into the horizontal plane

I like that drawing.
I've got a 1920s Bing steam engine on my restoration list that has a feed pump but its lost all its boiler fittings.
I was going to buy a clack valve when I got to it but I think I should give it a go making one. It will also give me a good excuse to buy the correct size taps and dies for making steam fittings.

Making fittings is very therapeutic - one of the most enjoyable aspects of the hobby for me.

Hi

If you go over to the 'A WORK IN PROGRESS' section and have a look at my topic 'A SMALL BOILER' (you will have to go back a few pages to find it) you will see I made a clack valve and a hand pump as part of the project. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back