Boiler building calculations

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainman3450

A.C.E. Engineering
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm starting work on a vertical boiler for a 4 3/4 inch gauge 0-4-0 "Clishay" style locomotive and I need a little help. I need to calculate how many tubes I'll need to get enough power out of the boiler and enough heating area, how thick the wall of the boiler barrel will need to be, how long the boiler barrel will need to be in order to get the maximum amount of power from it, and many other things that I'm sure you guys are familiar with, especially those of you who have designed and built boilers yourself.

I need the formulae for all of the above and what ever else may be needed to build this boiler. A few tips and tricks will be helpful too, as well as where I can get some copper tubing for the boiler barrel, as I plan to make it at least 4 inches OD and I can't seem to find a supplier of pipe that large.

AMBSC CODE PART 1 -----------COPPER BOILERS from Australia is a good reference material to calculate pipe thickness,heads and stay bars etc. Bought mine from AMENG.AU.

Competent skills in Silver Brazing is mandatory.

IMG_2383.jpg

Look through the first two stickies in this section.
Regards,
Gerald.

Latest posts

Back