Bogstandard

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He resigned as site administrator? No one would say why exactly?

Wes

An answer to that is due.

John asked to be removed from our management team because he would could tolerate our
acceptance of model firearms. It was a cultural difference, nothing more.

If he chooses to no longer share his talents here, his contributions will be sadly missed.

Rick

That's too bad. Many Europeans have extremely strong feelings about firearms, as do many Americans. It's a very real cultural bias and not something to take lightly.

I recently had an interesting experience with it. A friend and his wife are English, and she is working on a Psychology degree. She received an assignment to immerse herself in something that others liked but that she detested. When I heard about this, I suggested she take up shooting for a week and that I would be happy to take her to the firing range, offer instruction, and let her borrow firearms.

It was a good experience for all. I'm not going to say I converted her to a love of shooting, but she gained a real understanding that people shooting are not blood thirsty killers. She enjoyed herself, and she was quite a good first time shooter. Perhaps what swayed her the most was taking along my 12-year old son who conducted himself very well at the range and was very attentive to helping her learn the ropes and feel comfortable.

Best Regards,

Bob Warfield

Firearms have a lot of interest for mechanical- and engineering-types in the US, me included, but I respect John's willingness to stand by his principles, though I do hope he continues to contribute.

We'd be a lot poorer for bar stock cut offs were it not for a couple military manufacturers hereabouts though-- swords into plowshares and all that ;)

Hello All and especially John: I always looked forward to John's posts and pictures and hope that he will remain with us by posting about his model making. I believe he was a good moderator, as things went along quite smoothly as far as what was observed on the screen, his enthusiasm was something to behold and it certainly helped me want to get back into the shop and play even though his pictures and write ups made my efforts seem very minimal.
If he chooses to refrain from posting with, for, or to us his presence will be greatly missed.
Don

john i might not share or understand your thoughts on all of this but i respect your decision.
you remind me allot of the late l.b.s.c.
you like l.b.s.c. share your unlimited knowledge and experience with all of us here and i know for me that has been a big help.
john if won't be a moderator PLEASE be a contributor to this great group of guys.

i for one will have allot of questions when i get to building the engine you posted plans for.

i would like to end this by adding that john isn't the only guy here with huge amounts of knowledge but you can never have enough smart guys around.

cheers and best wishes to all in the new year!!

chuck

Bog's contributions here were supurb. No doubt about it. His ingenuity in the shop, and his methods of sharing the knowledge are very much appreciated by all of us. It is a shame that things have taken the present turn, and hopefully he will continue to share his knowledge with all of us. Time will tell the tale.

Guys:
I have had some e-mail contact with John. He is going through some tough time in the real world. IMHO the firearms thing was just part of why he chose to take some time off. I see him lurking from time to time so he is still here just not posting for a while. When things settle down for him he may choose to return. Yes his contributions have been missed.
Tin

Tin
I've stayed in touch with John too. He's been posting on another non-machinist forum that I visit. I'm hoping that once he's cleared the decks of a couple real world issues, we'll see him getting active again. I suspect you've been encouraging that idea and I've been nagging him a bit about it as well. Like several of us.... he's got just a wee bit of a stubborn streak....(grin).

Steve

And to you, John. Good to see you around the old place.

Steve

Welcome back, John. Don't be a stranger. Stay well and prosper in the coming year.

Best wishes for your New Year as well John!

Rick

John, best wishes for a great New Year! Good to hear from you!!

Happy New Year, John, hope things are going well for you...

Chuck

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your greetings.

I suppose in this new year you deserve a reason.

My very personal life, thru major health and family issues, plus soon a maybe long drawn out legal battle are draining me so much at the moment, I just haven't got the heart and soul to post like I used to. When I can get into my workshop, it just feels cold and uninviting, so I just tinker about, with nothing useful being achieved.

I think it wouldn't be correct for me to put input into posting if I couldn't give it my all.

So at the moment I just watch how the site is going on and only open what pricks my interest, unlike before where I would eagerly read every post with a flourish, and stick my nose in, even if it wasn't wanted.

I can see my problems taking a fair while to be solved, and when I am ready and able I just might start to smile again, and maybe even laugh at some of your terrible jokes.

'nuff said on these issues now, enjoy looking forwards to what you can achieve in this new year.

Live long and prosper.

John

Hi John, best wishes to you & yours for the New Year! ;D

Thanks for letting us know that you are basically OK. It's been lonely around here without your wit & wisdom my friend.

I understand very well how it feels to be overwhelmed or disheartened by life's many challenges and sincerely hope that things get much better for you soon.

Take care sir and stay in touch when you can.

llegitimi non carborundum!

Milton

Latest posts

Back