BMW boxer engine plans ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorstrain

Reaction score
With so many Hoglets getting around now days, I thought it would be time to even up the score.

Does anyone know of any BMW R model boxer engine drawings or plans? Air head would be preferable to oil head engines.
R%207%20&%201%20series%20eng%20x%20section.jpg

-5%20engine%20&%20gearbox%20cutaway.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Long live the K100 ;D

Hey now - That looks like a pretty good start. A few hours on cad and that should be doable.

It dosent look too bad if you omit the gearbox.
You might be better off to get the plans for a volkswagon engine.
Unless you wanted to build the gearbox too, that would be a great scale build.☺
-B-

Krown Kustoms said:
You might be better off to get the plans for a volkswagon engine.
-B-

Add two more cylinders to this one and you'll have the VW engine.

I've got one sitting in my gagrage and have rebuild several when I used to drive the aircooled engined VW's.

I've got to thinking about building a scale VW engine also. It's great to have one to measure. But the big questions is "will I ever get to a-round-to-it?" Probably not. :shrug:

Bernd

You could start with the plans for the Upshur Twin, turn them upside down, reshape outline of the crankcase and cylinders, and get a satisfying facsimile.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, :bow:

The Upshur twin will be a good place to start so that I don't have to worry about getting the basic running gear right.
Definantly some cad time needed but like Bernd's volkswagon, it is a round-to-it job so don't anyone hold their breath. Wouldn't want to loose any members to blue face fever. ;D

I'll try to track down a parted engine through some friends to document as well.

Thanks again
Phil

This is what I've been doing (vveerrry sslllooowwllyy!!). I thought I'd do a mild "looks like a BMW" version first, based on the Upshur twin, then when my skills improve and I get more tooling do a version of BMW's R1 prototype.

I've found that older service manuals are a good source for scale cross sectional engineering drawings, allowing a good start at a drawing set for a model.

Good luck with the project Phil.

Cheers
Garry

Just thinking ... Take a look at the very similar Citroen 2CV engine. Sorry can't find any pics at the moment.

Main difference was the use of one-piece conrods and a 3-piece crankshaft. The full size one was assembled using liquid nitrogen @ -190 deg C to freeze the centre section. Loctite could do the needful on a model. A shorter crankshaft than can be achieved with bolted big ends.

The camshaft was by gears rather than a chain.

Production ran to well over 8 million units in its various forms, so it was a well proven design. Disguising a model as a BMW should be ok.

Ray

raggle I'm a great fun of the Citroen engines

I owned 2 Citroen cars equipped with that engine, and I can say that they were indestructible! :bow: never, never had a problem!
and so fun to drive too

but I have never had a BMW, I'm sure it is an untiring engine too

ehm... maybe I'm off topic, if so I apologize

Ariz said:
ehm... maybe I'm off topic, if so I apologize

Citroens are never off topic with me :)

I'm a fan of flat twins of all sorts - I blame my father who owned a couple of Jowett cars.
I also had a Velocette, not one of the four-strokes unfortunately but the Viceroy 2-stroke scooter.

Ray

Thanks Guys,
I've been away for a couple of days.
Off topic is always ok with me, you never know what gem of info may pop out at you.

I'll have a look at the Citroens when I get a chance.

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil
I have some BMW motorbike service manuals with that/similar engine .i could email them to you if that would help
regards Rob

Don't want to hijack your thread Phil but if anyone has or knows where I can get any info on an AJS engine I am hoping to do a scale build over the next few YEARS...

Goo luck with your project and I will look on with interest to see how you go about it. I wanted a scrap engine but they are impossible to get......

Good luck

MM

Ask and you shall receive.... :D

http://www.classiccycles.org/1978/1999.html

I go here regularly for motorcycle manuals but the Vintage Motorcycle Art, Motorcycle Literature section are interesting to cruise thru. The Marine and Antique Engine sections are also interesting.

Good hunting...

Garry

great site Garry
many thanks for sharing :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regards Rob

Latest posts

Back