Bending brass tube

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavier tube is much easier to bend. If the higher melt temp of lead is a problem,
try the soap-heavy water I suggested. Every one has a freezer.

Pete

Hello Makila / Steve,
In post # 8 the thin wall brass tubing I referenced in that post is of a 0.014" wall thickness, same as your dia. 5/16" brass tubing. As I stated, I was successful in bending the 0.014" wall pipe without problems. It is important though to use annealed brass tubing of semi hardness to avoid collapse or breaking. The principal of the little tube bender I built can be looked at by googling pipe bending and there are some videos on youtube that depict a bender of similar design.

The tube bender I built incorporated a provision for a mandrel to be used if the bending without a mandrel had failed. As it turned out, I could bend the tubing {3/16 / 7/32 brass and 3/8 stainless - all annealed) without the use of a mandrel.

I just looked closely again at the pipe bender picture you show in your latest post. It seems you have a gap between the two rollers and it looks as if the pipe you intend to bend is not very tightly held between the two rollers allowing for some play while bending. In my experience, if the pipe is not tightly held without any play, you will have problems when bending because the pipe is allowed to distort in the bending process and will fail. The radius in the two rollers must also tightly match the pipe diameter without play.

Hope you will be successful in bending your brass tubing.

Peter J.

Last edited:
I used Cerrobend to make 9 intake pipes for my Hodgson radial out of 5/16" OD 3003 alum tubing. The bends were 90 deg. with an inside radius of 1/2" and there were no problems making them. Cerrobend expands as it cools so as to grip the inside of the tubing and is malleable enough to bend without breaking. This is what you want to make a smooth bend. You must also be sure the tube is full of Cerrobend with no air pockets.

Do not try bending with Cerrosafe as it shrinks initially and then expands back to original size after a 1/2 hour or so, but never firmly grips the tube ID. It is also brittle and will snap and slide inside the tube as you try to bend it making a mess out of the bend.

WOB

I just had a look at the Cerro-bend web site (something I should have done earlier!) and they recommend coating the ID with a lubricant prior to bending. They also say that once the tube is filled and still hot (warm?) rapid cooling is required to crystalise the material. Not sure what effect that would have but will follow this instruction on one more bend to see if it works.

The tool I am using is correctly made, there is no gap between the wheels but I checked it all the same to ensure this was okay, it is also concentric and holds the tube tight.

I have also made a system to melt lead and have a small pouring ladle, this will be used should the Cerro-bend fail. If that does not work, then I think a new tool will have to be made, designed similar to the tool shown earlier. I have tried stainless and aluminium tube and both of these work well using the bending tool but the wall thickness is too thick giving a ID that is too small, possibly having an effect on performance. The Brass tube has a thin wall but this means work hardening issues when cold forming. I hope to have some good news in a week or so when I get my new tube stock, so hoping for some success.

I have had very good luck with filling a tube with very fine "olivine sand". start by crimping one end and then fill with sand. It is so fine that a few taps and its packed. I then crimp the open end. The sand can be found at pottery supply type business. I got Mine from Seattle pottery supply. It is also the best sand for making "cores" for creating hollows in a casting.

Mark

Under post #8 I am showing a pipe bender that I built for bending thin wall 0.014" brass tubing of dia. 3/16 / 7/32 and dia. 3/8 stainless tubing. The inspiration to built the bender for my personal needs was based on a youtube video posted by a British company that can be found at following internet address:
http://shop.useful-tools.co.uk/mandrel-tube-bender-2-p.asp

I modified the bender design to suit my application and pipe bending needs but the approach is similar. You may find watching the video interesting.

Peter J.

Hi Peter,
Just watched the video and I am impressed. I think that it might be necessary to build something similar to yours as the tool from Useful tools is quite an expensive investment especially with the ID mandrel. A quick question, did you make the internal ID mandrel, is it necessary for thin material and if so what would the bullet tip be formed to? Is the the side profile of the tip round or does it follow the ID's outside radius - e.g. bullet shaped?
Many thanks.
Steve

A point not mentioned is lubing the outside diameter, before bending. I had been at a plant that bent exhaust tubing for HD trucks, 4" 5" steel tube. The outside of the tubes was coated with a soap lube, as was the inside mandrel. That mandrel was a cable with steel disks that were shaped like donuts, hydraulics kept a constant pressure of the inside mandrel, as the dies were sung to the needed angle. Interesting t watch.

Hello Makila / Steve,
I did make a provision in my design and built of the pipe bender for the use of a mandrel if the bending of the brass tubing without mandrel had failed. As it turned out, I could bend the brass tubing as well as the stainless tubing without the use of a mandrel. Hence, I did not develop a suitable mandrel or a particular mandrel shape.

If I remember correctly, in the video there is a very brief showing of a picture of the mandrel they were using and it looks like a bullet shape. In the video, there was a brief verbal reference to the position of the mandrel related to the forming tool location and its relation to each other during the bending process.

Also, they stated lubricating the inside of the tubing when using the mandrel. I id not see or hear a reference to lubricating the outside of the tubing because the shown bending process does not involve sliding the outside of the tubing over a surface or a forming tool over the tubing, instead when bending, the tubing is pulled over the forming tool without sliding and the straight half round tube support moves with the tubing in a straight line as it is pulled over the forming tool.

I believe my successful bending of the 0.014" wall brass tubing without a mandrel was the result of two main factors:

- The tubing being held firmly in the grove of the forming tool and the sliding tubing support. When I milled the two grooves in the two pieces, I made sure the depth of the groves were a few thou (~ 5 thou I believe) less than half the OD of the tubing. When clamping the tubing with the hand wheel, the tubing is forced into the shape of the grooves very tightly and can not move anywhere when bending, thus maintaining a decent cross sectional shape all along during bending.
- The second factor is to use annealed tubing in the semi / half hard stage. I was not successful bending tubing that was harder than semi hard. The tubing collapsed and broke in the process. Have not experimented with soft or fully annealed tubing and don't know how they would preform.

Peter J.

Tube bending tool shootout!

Since my last post, I did not have a tube bending tool that was worthy of neatly bending thin wall 5/16" brass tube, see previous picture. The tool was not capable of bending brass tubing at a tight radius of about 2-1/2 times the OD hence my posting here.

One of the reasons for coming to this site is the great help that is offered and I was kindly supplied a drawing from Ice Peter of a tube bending tool that he had developed for bending tight radius's in small tubing. I had started to build the GBritnell tube bender, drawings supplied on this site, which I decided to complete and is an excellent tool. I then constructed the bending tool that Ice Peter had drawn up as this supports the development of a internal sliding mandrel which does not require ID support material. A great time saver!

I will not be using Cerro-Bend as a ID filling material as it is too brittle and cracks during tight radius forming giving a staggered out side bend surface, I will either use lead or make a forming bullet if I have time.

I have tried a piece of 5/16" stainless tube without any ID supporting material and it gives a perfect 90 degree bend, the brass will need ID support material as it will certainly deform. Once I figure out what I will use as a ID support, I will post the results with some pictures. I feel a bit more confident of success but still a bit apprehensive with brass, if brass fails, then I will go straight over to stainless tube, it is much easier to work with. The only issue is, if I use stainless, the whole engine will look silver, brass was a nice contrast.

Once again, thanks for the help received, especially from Ice Peter who send lots of photos. This tool is heavy, lots of mild steel had to be cleaned, milled and cut, the mill is covered in metal chips from the all the cutting!

Here are some pictures of what I have, just about ready to go and bend some tubes. Note the stainless tube - perfectly bent at 2-1/2 times radius with no internal support.

CIMG2718.jpg

CIMG2719.jpg

CIMG2720.jpg

CIMG2721.jpg

CIMG2722.jpg

CIMG2723.jpg

Hello Makila,
Looks familiar and good to my eyes. You got it done in no time, great! Glad it worked for you with stainless in your first try. I wouldn't hesitate to try a couple of bends using the 5/16" brass. You may be pleasantly surprised with the results. Have you considered using a mandrel if the brass bending without internal support fails?

Peter J.

Hi Peter,

The issue with brass is it work hardens when its being formed and will most likely collapse, I will give it try without internal support once some stock arrives.

I will certainly be making the internal sliding mandrel, if it works then finding a filler will be a thing of the past. 70% of the time is used filling tubes so we will be onto something if the internal mandrel works with small diameter tubes.:cool:

Hi IcePeter

Is your drawing for the small radius bending tool available to download ?

Emgee

Tubes complete!
Just to round off this thread, I have completed the inlet/exhaust tubes that was giving me an issue with the thin wall brass tubes. All 9 exhaust assemblies were completed using the Ice Peter bending tool that worked very well. Nevertheless, I had to use a tube filler that prevented the collapse of the brass tube, stainless tube with .035" wall thickness did not need a filler during experimentation with the bending tool.
My process was to heat the tube to bright orange to anneal it then fill with a material called Polybend. This material has similar application properties as Cerrobend but is not brittle causing steps in the bend due to cracking.
I noted that after annealing the tube, it had a forming life of about a day, beyond this time, the tube returned to its former hard properties and was difficult to bend. Therefore annealing through to bending has to be done within a few hours. I have posted a picture of the results.

Many thanks for all the help given on this thread, the job turned out to be a success.

Steve

CIMG2730.jpg

Hello Makila,
That looks like a well done job. Congratulation on the final success. Waiting to see your radial getting done!

Peter J.

Has anyone considered fine dry sand and heated tubing. I'm not sure if it would work with brass but for difficult hydraulic pipe bending it is an approach we took at work sometime ago. You need to pack the tube and put vented plugs in each end of the tube.

Obviously brass tubing is a different beast than steel hydraulic tubing but I'd thought I'd throw this out for comments.

To emphasis what was said above the sand must be dry. You don't want massive steam formation once you start heating the tubing.

Latest posts

Back