Before and after,,almost set up

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldncrusty

Reaction score
Well, my girlfriend has given me a small-space in the back of her garage, 2ftx7ft,
and ive built around a bench-size i can put into my camper if i need to,
im posting before and after pics, im almost done, installed new felts and wired her up,
turned her on, and shes dam noisy,,before she hummed away, no noise at all,,
but now theres a harmonic hum, vibration going through the whole house, from the wall mounting,
I need to figure out how to cancel it out,
still need to paint the wall, put on the trim, and get shelves up,
the empty space on the end, is hopefully going to hold a mill on an extended bench, or the Griz-07, sitting there,
itl be awhile,,

any ideas on the Noise-factor?
my girlfriend isnt happy with her house sounding like a semi on a steel grated bridge,

j

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_2132 bench.JPG

IMG_2134 wall mounting.JPG

Man, I don't like the idea of your hands/head/hair being that close to the belt/pulley structure. It don't look safe from where I am.

dgjessing said:
Get all that stuff off the wall!

I agree. You are applying a tension between surfaces at a ninety degree angle.

Change the support structure so it is applied downward onto the table.

Place vertical brace timbers behind the lathe reaching the same height as you now have. DO NOT use the wall as a support, but rather use the table top.

Attach the motor/pulley setup you have to the vertical timbers. If you need bracing for the uprights, use a 45 degree strap and again, brace against the table top.

Finally be sure your lathe is also attached firmly to the table top. You want to maintain an even tension between the lathe and the pulleys. The drive belt pulls upward on the lathe, the lathe is attached to the table top and keeps its distance fixed. Vibration is isolated to the structure your lathe is on. If your table is attached to the wall, it might need some rubber or felt pads installed there as well.

Hey John, you did a beautiful job on cleaning up that lathe though.... looks great.

BillC

You could try a couple of engine mounts, (the rubber vibration damper type), on the wall mount.

I know it's early days yet and you have very limited space but please safety first and think about guards for all the moving bits. I have seen a guy whose had his long hair removed by a drill press and it was not a pretty sight.

Best Regards
Bob

Question: Is that lathe designed for an overhead line shaft from back in the day? If that's the case maybe the belt has to go up and not down.

At the very least. Bolt the lathe down to the table. Any application of torque will try to lift the lathe from its base, and from the pictures you posted the lathe is not bolted down.

That is the best paint job on a lathe I have ever seen.

G'day J

Very inventive!

It looks like the wall is a stud wall (timber framed) and so will not be rigig like a brick/concrete wall hence the transmission of vibration. Some of the problem will be the belts but mosy likely it will be from the single phase motor.

Motor vibration could be an indication of a faulty run capacitor if it is a cap start , cap run type motor. These are the best motors for lathes because they have good torgue and less torsional vibration compared with other single phae motors. BTW I can see the capacitor housing on the underside of your motor. Check it ot before you burn out the motor or lose the girlfriend .
Single phase motors are better resiliantly mounted no matter what type. The bearings on your motor/cjhange belt frame are plane bearings, (they are on mime) so they will not be adding rumble.

Having got the motor sorted out it would pay to arrange the motor mounting off the table to which the lathe is bolted (noted bolted) and not from the wall. The whole assemble should be mounted on the floor and not contact the wall.

Nice work on the lathe. I trust you have more success than me, when I clean mine up, the dirt which had been holding together no longer took up the backlash or slop. I now have a new lathe.

Anyone want a well used Hercus AR?

Regards
ian

My south bend is set up so the motor mounts under the lathe. I can not see if your head will aloww this setup but would be the way to go if allowed.
Tin

Latest posts

Back