Bazmak diary of a sieg SX 2 bench mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,as i have mentioned before i have always been short of a mill
Not anymore.It arrived this morning at 10.00 am and 3 hrs later i was
making chips.Having been waiting awile and reading many threads on the Sx2
mods.in particular stiffening the column with all manner of plates and granite resin.fitting belt drive etc etc i decided to buy the SX2LF for an exrta $100
Well worth it.Belt drive,larger table,R8 spindle and fixed column.Very Very impressed.UNpacked,cleaned off the grease,bolted to a 32mm high riser plate
and off we go.I have an ER32 collet set and Mill vice on order but was DESPERATE to make chips.So against all rules using an end mill in the Jacobs
and a drill vice i made 4 T nuts. Happy as pig in ++++ cant wait to spend
some more money on extras.Photos and stories to follow. Regards Barry

Subscribed. I have been toying with the idea of an X2 but wonder just how useful they are. Keep us posted on how you find it under real world use and conditions.

I figure that here in Oz it will cost almost as much as an X2/Sx2 to buy a Myford vertical slide and get it sent from the UK. Might be better off with the purpose built machine than trying to mill on my ancient lathe.

Looking forward to your progress reports.

Congratulations Barry. Love to see some pics.

Thanks Herbiev.Hi Hopper Had many myfords and V slides.Been there done that
This little mill is in a different league.Its a whole new world compared to milling in the lathe.Will keep you posted Regards barry

Sounds good mate. Keep us posted.

I used to live down your way -- Blackwood. Nice country in them thar hills.

And now you will need to fit DRO and your family will never be short of things to buy you for Xmas, birthdays and Fathers Day.

Jim

Mill arrived,unpacked and setup.Nice piece of kit,very pleased.R8/ER32 collet set arrived.I deemed the mill
too low,so raised it a nomoinal 70mm and incorporated a drawer to hold collets/tooling etc.
Bit rough and ready but did not buy any matls just used scrap bits to hand.Mill can be slid back and forwards as reqd
[URL=http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/bazmak47/media/mill02_zps87663171.jpg.html]
mill03_zpse2e85fbd.jpg
[/URL]

Hi Barry,

I love your new mill and the tool drawer. Am thinking about a double drawer height platform to house the many end mills and tools and keep tidy. Currently using a fishing tackle box which is groaning with excessive weight of too many tools. With platform form done,Gus no longer stoop over the mill.:hDe:

P.S. You have a very deep drawer .Will copy this too.;)

Hi Gus,made the drawer as deep as i could and sized to fit the collet set
Will design and improve as we go

Hi Barry,

Questions.
1. Nett weight of mill.
2. The biggest endmill size.
3. The vertical travel.

Now itching to buy a bigger mill.

Hi Gus,net weight 60kg,table 460x120,quill to table/max vert travel 260mm
Drill/end mill 16dia,face 35mm. However these sizes mean nothing
I have stepped dilled to 25dia, and used a 22dia cutter in 19 collet
I plan to buy a 50mm ctip face cutter.At the end of the day its depth of cut
that determines limits.I am thoroughly impressed with this mill.Obviosly it depends which version would be available to you.I WOULD NOT BUY THE PIVOTING COLUMN VERSION.I would highly recommend
Fixed column,belt drive,500w high torque vari speed motor,460x120 table
R8 spindle etc. I did a lot of investigating before buying an initial extra cost
can save a lot of headache/costly mods etc.I was worried about weight/size etc
in my limited workshop area.But found the mill ideal.I could lift the mill by myself
but not the full height.Did it in stages in one piece by myself.It sits on a makeshift wooden bench and easily slides back when not in use.
I wanted MT3 spindle to match the lathe as i wanted to swap tooling
Not available on my model so went for R8. GLAD I DID. Positive Drive and a simple tap on the drawbar releases.Went for ER32 collet set to 20dia
good choice. Drilling is a joy silky smooth and adjusting speed as you go is a joy.Apart from cleaning off the grease i was making chips within 3 hrs of delivery. I was very disheartened reading threads about stiffening the column
with plts and epoxy granite.All the problem is in the pivot on the column
and most people never use it but are continually tramming the head
Same with the metal/plastic gears,noisy etc but the mill very quiet and smooth
with the belt drive. Will Keep you posted. Recommend 10/10 Regards barry

Now i have the collet set my thoughts go to cutters.I have the usual assortment of end mills etc.I also have a couple of rota broach cutters.The one shown is 22dia with a 19 dia shank.It works really well for facing but for rebating the corner needs squaring off.Will also work for plunge cut or holes(obviosly)
I am thinking of buying a 50dia carbide insert cutter.3 or 4 tips with R8 shank
Any comments anybody.Its expensive at $120 but is it worth it.May try my hand at making something similar.I have however a flycutter with MT2 that i have a no of years with little use.I setup in 3 jaw and turned to 16dia.Reduced length
Then i gripped in 16 collet in my NEW CHUCK and skimmed o/d etc true.Fitted a newly ground piece of tool steel (LH of course) and off we go.Will keep you informed when i use it.Photos self explanatory. BAZMAK

You will probably want a boring head and boring bars for it if you don't have one. I also think slitting saw(s) and mandrel for same.

I also recommend a high-quality drill chuck and arbor for the mill. The chucks furnished with these mills are poor quality.

And you will find you need lots of options for workholding.

--ShopShoe

Looks good mate.
I haven't come across the "LF" model through our local suppliers in Queensland (Hare and Forbes). They don't seem to have the R8 spindle either, just the MT3 job.
Who did you buy your mill from?

Hi Hopper,i bought from Titan machinery where i also bought the lathe
The lathe had 16" bed ,camlok tailstock and metal gears.It seems they have
these mods as std from china
I think they are in NSW but if you google them you can get all the specs
I emailed them and help and service was top class.I would highly recommend
Advertised price was $1079 but it was offered for $995 + $59 carriage it arrived in 3 days Model is SX2LF.They also offered ER25 collet set with 6 cllets for $95
But i purchased separate from China.ER32 chuck approx $30 with Postage and
18 piece collet set for $80 inc postage.Very Happy.I dealt with Stuart
Highly recommended. Regards Barry

Thanks Baz. Sounds like Titan might be the go. I was looking for something that little bigger/better than the standard SX2, but the SX3 price at $2,000 would never get past the domestic authorities/Ministry of War.

I like the idea of no tilting column or tilting head too. One less opportunity for alignment error to creep in. Easier to use a tilting vice or sine bars etc.

BTW, have you trammed your mill across the full length of the table? How did it measure up?

Hi Barry,

In the interim,here is a cheap M.I.C. & DIY DRO. I used a cheapy M.I.C. Digital Caliper. Have to make do with a M.I.S. aka Made in Singapore return spring.
Nemett-Lynx cams were cut with DIY DRO.
Will buy cut length plywood to make your mill storage drawer. Nemett-Lynx Engine will sidelined for the while.

IMG_1287.jpg

No i havent trammed the head yet,but doubt it will be out enough to worry about.Too impatient to be using it.Will find out any problems as i go
and then do afew checks as i go. Did adjust the gibs but apart from that
i dont suspect any problems yet.Will say once again VERY HAPPY

No i havent trammed the head yet,but doubt it will be out enough to worry about.Too impatient to be using it.Will find out any problems as i go
and then do afew checks as i go. Did adjust the gibs but apart from that
i dont suspect any problems yet.Will say once again VERY HAPPY

Good stuff mate. Don't go looking for problems if the machine is working well!

Took delivery of my 80mm swivel mill vice and first inspection ok
It looks to be well made and compact/nice looking.First job was to
fit to the mill table square and parallel to table with repeadability.It was
during this mod that i found a few minor niggles.The moving jaw had a
lift of 2/3 thou.Will need to fit gib plts later.Also the pivot pin had 2 thou play
in the base and 3 thou in the top casting a total of about 5 thou rock. Will make a new pin in brass later.So i carried on fitting the vice.
The vice base had a 14w slot with 2 supplied blocks.These i skimmed down
to 12mm to fit the table slots.The vice can now be fittedaccurately to the table
I then clocked the vice jaws in 3 posns and drilled thru with a 4.2 drill.The holes in the base were tapped M5 and the upper hole opened to 4.9mm and counterbored with an 8.5 drill. I turned the underside of an M5 capscrew to 30o
This is a trick i learned many years ago.The csk screw to a tapped hole gives
an accurate (dowelled) fit and no need for expensive counterbores just a standard drill. Works well but may have to retweek when i improve the vice
jaw and pivot pin

Back