Ban on small engines in California

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not forget the remote.
The to turn the channel and get few steps at same time.

Today no knob
Lose the remote you have a black painting

Dave
The next door neighbors had a color TV in the bedroom in perhaps the mid 60's, which was somewhat of a rare thing I think, and it had a remote control (Zenith as I recall).

And so this remote made a ping sort of a noise, and the TV would change channels.
No wiring between the remote and TV, no batteries in the remote.
I scratched my head until just recently trying to figure that one out.

Apparently they had one or more tuning forks in the remote, and an acoustical sensor in the TV.
Pushing the remote button would trigger a little hammer.

Magic stuff for sure to an 7 year old.

The next door neighbors had a color TV in the bedroom in perhaps the mid 60's, which was somewhat of a rare thing I think, and it had a remote control (Zenith as I recall).

And so this remote made a ping sort of a noise, and the TV would change channels.

Apparently they had one or more tuning forks in the remote, and an acoustical sensor in the TV.

my auntie had one of those, and if you rattled your keys, it would also change the channels. I never knew how it workt

I probably need to cast a cane in gray iron, since the "steampunk look" is all the rage these days.

The "global warming" thing is right out of the Saul Alinsky handbook.
RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”

They use it for whatever "crisis of the week" that they come up with.

I was watching a herd dog herding some sheep the other day, and the herd dog never actually bites or harms the sheep, but it is the threat of a bite, and the fear that is so effective at getting the sheep to do whatever one wants.

Its an elaborate political 3-ring circus that is effectively used to control many/most of the sheep-type people in society today.

"Today's crisis" morphs as needed by the politicians and political players.
When global warming was debunked, and all of our cities turned out not to be underwater (surprise, surprise, who would have thought?), then they morphed "global warming" into "climate change", so as to obscure the real agenda in many layers of murky "pseudo-science".

LOL, the climate has been changing from hot to cold since the earth began (I know, I am old enough to remember when the earth began.....just kidding).
Just ask any dinosaur you meet (not me) about cold snaps.

And then there was a warm snap, and the ocean was actually almost at the center of the United States, and you can see that in the fossil record, and in the fossils found near this area, which are all ocean-going creatures.
Climate like probably anything else, is cyclic, and it swings one way, and then the other.

Politicians make excellent use of the chicken little effect.

The only thing that alarms me about anything in the world these days is how naïve the general population worldwide is, even as we enter the 21st Century.
All the gains in electronics and communication have not improved human intelligence one iota (in my opinion), and as a matter of fact, there seems to be a direct correlation between gains in electronics/communications and the seemingly endless increase in the stupidity of the general public.

I call it the Jim Jones syndrome on steroids.
I believe that if the MSM told everyone that flinging themselves off of tall cliffs would help mankind (politically correct "personkind"), then you would not want to be lingering around under any cliffs due to the massive raining down of highly enthusiastic falling folks, all convinced they are saving the planet, and saving the whale too! (a two-fer as they say), all with a huge grin on their face.

Such is life; human nature will remain human nature.
People should put forth the effort to educate themselves, not act like sheep, and not do sheep things at the beck and will of politicians.

Edit:
As the saying goes, you can always tell when a politician and the main stream media (they are actually the same entity) is lying, because their lips are moving.

Edit2:
Critical thinking has morphed into criticizing/attacking anyone who comes up with logic and hard facts which disprove the official political narritive of the day. We have literally gone down the Alice and Wonderland rabbit hole; not to be all pessimistic and such.
If things get too bad, I hope to dig a big rabbit hole, move my shop down there, and continue making engines as the policical/cultural wars rage above me.
Indeed the climate has always been changing. But it's worth putting that fact in perspective:
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/earth_temperature_timeline.png

Indeed the climate has always been changing. But it's worth putting that fact in perspective:
Cute graphic without sufficient "perspective" and inordinate faith in the IPCC projections at the end.

A different perspective :-
Swemson Chart.2.jpg

or longer
124856-global-temperatures.jpg

or way longer
paleoclimate.jpg

All depends on how you cherry pick your data (timeframe, location or source).

“The Mississippi between Cairo and New Orleans was twelve hundred and fifteen miles long one hundred and seventy-six years ago. . . . Its length is only nine hundred and seventy-three miles at present.

Now, if I wanted to be one of those ponderous scientific people, and “let on” to prove what had occurred in the remote past by what had occurred in a given time in the recent past . . . what an opportunity is here! Geology never had such a chance, nor such exact data to argue from! . . .

In the space of one hundred and seventy-six years the Lower Mississippi has shortened itself two hundred and forty-two miles. That is an average of a trifle over one mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that in the Old Oolitic Silurian Period, just a million years ago next November, the Lower Mississippi River was upwards of one million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of Mexico like a fishing-rod. And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty-two years from now the lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three-quarters long. . . . There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact”

Mark Twain

Indeed the climate has always been changing - what makes anyone think that we are somehow at an ideal climate optimum and that any change is "worse" - and further that we have the ability to control the climate via the miniscule effects of the magic molecule CO2.

It's mostly scientific arm waving and grant seeking groupthink behavior amplified by a scientifically ignorant and alarmist headline building - profit seeking - mainstream media and unknowingly abetted by political leadership that is mostly scientifically clueless.
All egged on by Extinction Rebellion and countless other hoards of well meaning but misguided souls who want to save the Earth - a noble aim - but ignorant purpose may well be very dangerous.

"there is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Goethe

Regards, Ken

Last edited:
Modern literature:

2B or not 2B, that is the question.........
2H is better for (technical) drawing... but 2B is better for sketching....And what is Cad? Someone who bends the rules to suit their personal gain?
What was the question again?
Somehow Computerised drawings passed me by.... In the early 1980s I designed from a drawing board - for years before that, as the Engineer I designed in numbers, sketches, and used 3 or 4 draughtsmen to produce the drawings.... Since the late 80 various jobs have needed me to produce pencil sketches and scan onto documents, that used to be published on paper until someone trebled the size of the job and got rid of paper.... Now retired, I use paper and pencil sketches, and make a few general arrangement drawings to rational layouts and dimensions. Calculations mostly done on my 1978 calculator - or slide rule - faster than I can type (if the computer had the program I wanted). I still find computing real design stuff VERY SLOW, on the so-called "Computers". But then I only need to do small calculations on boilers and stuff.
While my brain can still do it, I am happy.
And I am a real Chicken, according to my birth certificate. There are over 27 billion Chickens on this planet, ... so we outnumber humanity by at least 3 : 1 !
😃😆😅😉
K2

Completely off the ban on SORE, but....

Robotics have replace many workers in factories, and that trend will continue as long as it is a cost-effective solution.
It begs the question thought about when automation builds everything, what do the workers do for a living?
The answer for many (including one of my relatives who at one time worked in a tire plant) is to go back to school and get an automation degree, and work in the automation field. Someone has to install and maintain all that automation, not to mention program it all.
"Roll with the flow" as they say.

Here in the US, various states have pushed for and gotten significantly higher minimum wage laws onto the books. California is going to $15/hr. A bunch of other states are in the $11 to $12 range. But the Federal minimum is still $7.25. Texas is at $7.25.

What does that mean?

Automation is even more cost effective in these areas! The politicians are making questionable ROI's better.

For example ever notice how fast food restaurants are embracing online ordering and ordering kiosks? Certainly it is happening in Maryland (except for Chick-Fil-A) Ever think about why? That allows the owner of the restaurant to have fewer employees and less cost. Automated drink filling is already possible. How about automated food production? And that's just thinking about fast food. Same can be said for a bunch of industries.

The problem is what job are you going to retrain for? Especially when there are fewer entry level jobs to get your feet wet in the workforce? How do you get all of those folks who thought high school was a pain in the a$$ state run babysitting service (who prove that is correct) to learn stuff?

And what happens to the cost of living in an area where the minimum wage has been increased? Likely goes up, right? Grocery store has to charge more to cover their increased costs, for example.

And how many companies (like Tesla) are moving parts or all of their operation to a lower cost state? What happens to those jobs? They're gone out of that local economy, unless you move with the company.

Politicians are meddling with things and they have no idea as to what the unintended consequences look like.

Not sure if the EU and UK have similar issues. But the US definitely does, and it is going to be exciting for a while.

James

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the only iproamtnt thing is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the human mind deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Seriously though guys, can we now revert to the serious business of engineering and let the Scandinavian hobgoblin solve the world’s pblroems?

Here in the US, various states have pushed for and gotten significantly higher minimum wage laws onto the books. California is going to $15/hr. A bunch of other states are in the $11 to $12 range. But the Federal minimum is still $7.25. Texas is at $7.25.

What does that mean?

Automation is even more cost effective in these areas! The politicians are making questionable ROI's better.
I'm in the robot business and everytime some politician ups the minimum wage - I go "Yee-Hah" and rub my hands together - I'm going to get to put more people out of work.
(P.S. if you think I'm being cynical, robots are expensive and are at the very end of the productivity food chain - if you are worried about unemployment - minimum wages simply make it worse. Political interventionism mores so - example - A combine harvester does the work of over 400 people - answer - get rid of combine harvesters and we can all go back to being fully employed peasants.)

Regards, Ken

No batteries need for the remote.

Today if batteries die the tv is black or for some TV's download the app and hope it works.

Dave

As long as not the one getting $7.25 hour.
It is a age old problem.
I live in California and was in manufacturing so the difference in min wage would have made a problem.
But on the flip side the ones getting $15.00 are happy.
If all states was about same there would be no problems.

Dave

Completely off the ban on SORE, but....

What does that mean?

For example ever notice how fast food restaurants are embracing online ordering and ordering kiosks? Certainly it is happening in Maryland (except for Chick-Fil-A) Ever think about why? That allows the owner of the restaurant to have fewer employees and less cost. Automated drink filling is already possible. How about automated food production? And that's just thinking about fast food. Same can be said for a bunch of industries.

The problem is what job are you going to retrain for? Especially when there are fewer entry level jobs to get your feet wet in the workforce? How do you get all of those folks who thought high school was a pain in the a$$ state run babysitting service (who prove that is correct) to learn stuff?

And what happens to the cost of living in an area where the minimum wage has been increased? Likely goes up, right? Grocery store has to charge more to cover their increased costs, for example.

And how many companies (like Tesla) are moving parts or all of their operation to a lower cost state? What happens to those jobs? They're gone out of that local economy, unless you move with the company.

Politicians are meddling with things and they have no idea as to what the unintended consequences look like.

Not sure if the EU and UK have similar issues. But the US definitely does, and it is going to be exciting for a while.

James

Last edited:
Mennonites will sometimes build perfect structures......only to purposely introduce a glaring error to keep things spicy (or humble).

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."

OCDness is quite prevalent in our small communities. I'm a nerd when I send texts with correct punctuation. When I come home though, I have to break some of the rules, or I'll drive my family insane. It's good to leave some grass uncut with my piston powered mower (tying it all back in, I promise) or a car parked crooked now and then. Pretty soon my new neighbors who escaped Cali promising not to repeat their previous flaws will be enforcing zoning laws on all my yard's imperfections.

Mennonites will sometimes build perfect structures......only to purposely introduce a glaring error to keep things spicy (or humble).

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."

OCDness is quite prevalent in our small communities. I'm a nerd when I send texts with correct punctuation. When I come home though, I have to break some of the rules, or I'll drive my family insane. It's good to leave some grass uncut with my piston powered mower (tying it all back in, I promise) or a car parked crooked now and then. Pretty soon my new neighbors who escaped Cali promising not to repeat their previous flaws will be enforcing zoning laws on all my yard's imperfections.
Oddly enough, Moses Lake is trying to institute a "less water" usage policy in the city. Since this entails the growth of low water usage plants (no lawn grass) and the planting of certain dessert like plants, I have begun doing exactly that. This year, I hardly watered my yard but all my neighbors have sterile mowed lawns with mostly no trees or interesting plants. Most of my neighbors abhor my yard, but what I have is a yard full of small plants and shrubs that do not need insecticides and the beez simply LOVE. The city even has a model planting at the local library, so I simply took the best types that I like and planted some. This fills about 1/3 of my yard. I have also some junipers which are low water consumption, but I don't really like junipers even tho they shade the house well during summer.

I would say I have been very successful as the city charges a WHOLE LOT for water. Also, they cheat and claim that the water you use on your lawn goes down the sewer and so they charge you double for that! What bastards. And government is for the people, by the people? I doesn't thimpfk so. City government (indeed all governments IMNSHO) are big businesses intent on getting all they can. My question is always, Where does all that $$ go?

There are approx. 5000 homes in Moses Lake, each putting in for water/sewer/garbage per month about 116$. 5000X100=half a million $$ per month! There is NO WAY that I believe it costs the city more than 6 million a year to maintain water/sewer/garbage. There is road repair and other maintenance for any city, but there are other taxes as well that are supposed to be for all that. So where does all that $$ go? Honestly, I don't know, even tho it is easy to find out--I'm not that interested, maybe I should be. However, IMNSHO, water/sewer/garbage $$ should ONLY be used for water/swer/garbage maintenance.

Oddly enough, Moses Lake is trying to institute a "less water" usage policy in the city. Since this entails the growth of low water usage plants (no lawn grass) and the planting of certain dessert like plants, I have begun doing exactly that. This year, I hardly watered my yard but all my neighbors have sterile mowed lawns with mostly no trees or interesting plants. Most of my neighbors abhor my yard, but what I have is a yard full of small plants and shrubs that do not need insecticides and the beez simply LOVE. The city even has a model planting at the local library, so I simply took the best types that I like and planted some. This fills about 1/3 of my yard. I have also some junipers which are low water consumption, but I don't really like junipers even tho they shade the house well during summer.

I would say I have been very successful as the city charges a WHOLE LOT for water. Also, they cheat and claim that the water you use on your lawn goes down the sewer and so they charge you double for that! What bastards. And government is for the people, by the people? I doesn't thimpfk so. City government (indeed all governments IMNSHO) are big businesses intent on getting all they can. My question is always, Where does all that $$ go?

There are approx. 5000 homes in Moses Lake, each putting in for water/sewer/garbage per month about 116$. 5000X100=half a million $$ per month! There is NO WAY that I believe it costs the city more than 6 million a year to maintain water/sewer/garbage. There is road repair and other maintenance for any city, but there are other taxes as well that are supposed to be for all that. So where does all that $$ go? Honestly, I don't know, even tho it is easy to find out--I'm not that interested, maybe I should be. However, IMNSHO, water/sewer/garbage $$ should ONLY be used for water/swer/garbage maintenance.

I've come up with the statement:
Bureaucracies (axiom is the more applicable the larger the entity) - - - - for the unwilling the incompetent and/or the unable.

I KNOW where that money goes - - - - - - paying the salaries for lots of useless turkeys.
We have the similar functions here.

Last edited:
Bastards are always manipulating the market. hyou must remember that half the people in the world have IQ's less than 100. People with IQ's above 111 immediately get a concept with out having to have it explained in detail. That is about 2/3's of all people have to have everythign explained in detail. These people are the ones whom are so easily trikt and manipulated.

If you will remember the 1980's (before I was born), news articles hit the propaganda sheets about butter being bad for you because of cholesterol. Thing is, human kind has been using milk products including butter for more than 10,000 years. It is thot that 750 years (or thereabouts) for a human culture to acclimate to new situation. What that means is those who cannot tolerate butter, die out and don't reproduce. Quite simple. Well, point is, that a mere twenty years later, the tables have turned ande now margarine is bad for you.

Didded I ever tell you how margarine was created? during the war (WWII), industry was looking for plastics made from plant material. They found a lot of interesting things and one was this greasy material called ole or oleo. They couldn't find a use for it so they said "let's try feeding it to chickens". the Chickens wouldn't eat it. So they said, "Let's feed it to pigs, they'll eat anything". The pigs wouldn't eat it. So, they said, "Let's feed it to cattle, it's just down their line." Cattle wouldn't touch it. So Who do you thimpfk they ended up feeding it to? The dumbest animal on earth. they said, "Let's feed it to people who can't afford butter. We can convince these idiots of anything!" Guess what kind of manipulations continue day to day in the modern way?

BTW, just so you know, the average IQ of machinists is 125--that is, our IQ's are generally higher than that idiot king george bush II
Hi Richard,
Please don't take this the wrong was but I'm sorry to rain on your parade as many of your statements here are quite wrong. For example people do not 'die out' because of inability to eat butter. In fact approximately 65% of the world population are lactose intolerant after infancy, especially in East Asia so cannot consume most dairy products, however some of those are able to tolerate fermented diary products such as cheese or yoghurt. I personally know Thai and Chinese who think that cheese etc are disgusting describing them as 'rotten milk'.

The 'facts' you state about margarine are actually myths. They are a result of some so called 'facts' that have been circulating on the internet for some time based on propaganda from the dairy industry in the US. Basically they are essentially the result of conspiracy theories. Firstly, 'oleo' was not discovered by scientists in WW2 looking for plastics materials. The word oleo is derived from the Latin 'oleum' which is a word for edible oils especially olive oil. Early margarines were called oleomargarines to distinguish them as plant based and the term 'oleo' was used in the US colloquially to refer to margarine made from plant based oils such as rapeseed, sunflower and olive oil which themselves have been consumed for centuries by us humans. You may also have been confused by the fact that in Germany in the 1930s there were experiments done to produce edible fats from paraffin wax by a chemical process, apparently hte resulting product was nutritious and palatable, but it was a deliberate process, during a time of poverty in that country when they were rebuilding following the devstation as a result of WW1, and there was a shortage of expensive butter as farming practices had not flly recovered and there was a need for high energy nutritious foods. It was not an accidental discovery.

By the way you should know that the term 'plastic' is a property of materials (plasticity) - e.g. wet clay is described as being 'plastic' during the stage when it can be moulded, say by a potter. The term has been hijacked as a noun to conveniently describe polymerised materials that have been shaped by moulding, casting or some other forming process during a 'plastic' state before solidifying.

Margarine was indeed developed during the war - the Franco-Prussian wars in 1869 as a cheaper. longer lasting (no portable refrigerators then) substitute for butter as a high energy food for the French troops. It was originally developed - as a response to a French government competition - from solid animal fats but that's another story, before using plant based oils after the discovery that hydrogenation 'firmed up' the oil. It was first sold in the US in the 1880s and it was so popular that the powerful dairy industry lobbied the US government to tax and restrict the sales of margarine (land of the free) by introducing expensive 'licences' for wholesalers and retailers who sold margarine. That same dairy industry also circulated the myths you quote about margarine to deter people from using the butter substitute which have been continued by the magnifying glass that is the internet.

On another tack, could you let me know the source of the research on the IQ levels of machinists, I'd love to impress my family and prove them wrong.

TDx

How about how wind and solar power kill birds and wildlife in huge numbers? I've seen the downstream effects of wind turbine farms on weather radars. It's not small. After all, if the wind turbines were 100% effective at taking energy from the wind, there would be no wind left after them and it would radically change the weather. Thankfully, 100% effectiveness just isn't going to happen, but I don't know that they aren't modifying weather now.

Hi Bob, just to point out that far more birds and animals are killed by traditional power stations and pollution than by the turbines. Also there are a huge number of birds killed by flying into all glass tall buildings, plus if climate change IS really happening (I'm not saying it is, just that on balance of evidence it's more probable than possible) then far more will be wiped out by that.

Turbines cannot extract'100%' of energy from wind as most wind passes by in th espaces between, only a tiny proportion of the wind is used, and as wind is created by the differential heating effect of the oceans and land it will neve stop blowing.

Tdx

This is my dream car, and if I live long enough, I will make one of these, but perhaps powered with a Frisco Standard style engine.
There is something very visually appealing about this car.

Hi Greentwin,
It's rather a stretch of the imagination to call that a 'car' it's essentially a motorised tricycle whose descendants are stilll with us today:

1637131478164.png

OK it's a bit more advanced, but so are 'real' cars. The one here can carry three - driver and two passengers. A good friend of mine has a similar one that seats two plus I think that seat belts and helmets are not compulsory here in the UK but I still wouldn't call it a car.

Definition Cambridge dictionary -
Car - a road vehicle with an engine, four wheels, and seats for a small number of people:

This is probably the worlds first powered passenger carrying vehicle, also a tricycle:

1637132221729.png

Built in 1803 by Richard Trevithwick, a Cornish engineer and powered by steam.

However I do agree that your example of the Benz designed vehicle (original built 1885), the first to use an i.c. engine, is awesome and I'd love one for sunny days, thanks for sharing but I would still describe it as a powered tricycle or vehicle. By the way, the term 'car' is thought to be derived from the Early English word 'carre' - a horse drawn cart, carriage or chariot.

As for building one, it would be impossible to use it on public roads in the UK as it would be classified as a new vehicle and would have to conform to regulations covering road going vehicles such as the need for headlights and driving lights as well as safety regulations such as protection for pedestrians in case of collision - I know that sounds stupid but it's the law here. If it was an original it would be ok to drive on the road. What's the situation in the US?

TDx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back