Ban on small engines in California

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Any reading on new Ban in California

Ban on sales of gas power engines under 25 horse power in California
This includes generators , Lawn mowers and the list goes on.

https://b95forlife.iheart.com/conten...awn-equipment/
Just think of pushing to cut your grass or a rake for your yard.
I wonder how long can battery keeps your food cold

Just remember California always have petitions to stop nuts

Stop California To Ban Gas Propane Engines

https://chng.it/fyXybJmX
Dave

When they had the opportunity to recall the idiot governor they let him slide so they deserve everything they get. Ghee dear the power went out I'll plug in the electric generator. PG&E has problems with power now I wonder what they're going to do when everything is electric!

It simple plug in to your electric car or buy a gas hogging 25 horse power generator.

Dave

When they had the opportunity to recall the idiot governor they let him slide so they deserve everything they get. Ghee dear the power went out I'll plug in the electric generator. PG&E has problems with power now I wonder what they're going to do when everything is electric!

Instead of whining about someone else's solution to air pollution and global warming, what is YOUR proposed solution? California banned me from locating my septic tank on the riverbank and spraying DDT all over my yard, too. I've gotten over it.

Instead of whining about someone else's solution to air pollution and global warming, what is YOUR proposed solution? California banned me from locating my septic tank on the riverbank and spraying DDT all over my yard, too. I've gotten over it.
California want to cows for air pollution.
Sounds like gas to me.

Dave

They have also banned trucks from the road built before 2011 or have an engine built before 2010.
They have also banned owner operated rigs.
Non-compliant trucks are not allowed into California.
As a result some 60 to 80 thousand trucks and truckers have left the state - that's why the container docks are not coping. Not that the
MSM would report that.
Big rigs have an average life expectancy of 18 year and are mostly costed over 20 - but since California has passed a law outlawing your trucking business in 2035 you've only got 13 or so years left.
Would you invest in any new trucks ? Or in a business the state has vowed to destroy.
Are California’s Strict Emission Laws Causing US Supply Chain Chaos?
Trucking companies have taken to swopping rigs or trans-shipping loads at the boarder. This is nuts.
There is currently an injunction against the legislation but the state is still issuing fines which the state has vowed fall due if the injunction is lifted or appeals against the law fail. ???
As I recall from reading the Federalist papers - the intention of the US Constitution was to not allow trans-state border taxes or other obstacles to free trade.
California is foremost amongst states in passing legislation which which would clearly be an anathema to the framers and the authors of the Federalist Papers - Alexander Hamilton, John Jay and James Madison.
They deserve the misfortune they are heaping on themselves.
Regards, Ken

Last edited:
I lived in California since 1949. 50's, greatest time to be a kid. 60's, greatest time to be a young adult. In the early 80's, I saw the political winds starting to change direction. Made my decision to get out of Dodge in 2012. Finally moved to Indianapolis in 2017. Best decision I ever made. The stupidity and lack of common sense in that state is mind boggling. Look this up if you're skeptical, a few years back, Sacramento was CONSIDERING legislation to regulate cow farts because the methane messes up the atmosphere!!! People are leaving that place. The number one reason? Housing cost. In California, 60% of all houses there are over 500 thousand in cost, in Texas only 6% of houses are valued over 500 thousand. Now you see why people are flocking to Texas from there!
Grasshopper

The dumbest part of this law is he banning of small power generators. Any common idiot should have seen that as an issue and carved out an exemption for generators. (Perhaps there actually is a carve out, but I'm unaware of it).

I'm seeing a California with some seriously souped up power equipment.

I know that Harbor Freight sells a two cylinder V-twin that people hop up to around 70 horsepower. Imagine that on a push mower!

If something like this actually happens with power equipment becoming grossly overpowered, pollution will increase because of the larger than necessary engines.

Remember, all rules, regulations, laws have unintended consequences resulting in the requirement for more rules, regulations, and laws to mitigate those unintended consequences. Eventually we find ourselves in totalitarian state. And remember, it was all done for the "greater good."

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

...Ved.

Nobody asked the obvious question, so I will.

Does the law outlaw our little internal combustion engine models?

It doesn't affect me, I'm in Florida, but if all ICEs are outlawed that includes our little engines. I've seen many people showing big engines they've built.

I was just in California racing RC boats. We use model airplane style nitro motors, industrial style gasoline motors and electric motors. I doubt that the ban includes model or any motors used for hobbies or racing, but I haven't read the actual law. The interesting thing was the LA County fire helicopters that showed up on two days to get water from the lake to put out fires. One fire was so close that ash rained down on our race site.

20210920_174051.jpg

Just like the IC engine solved the problem of pollution caused by horses, electric power will help solve the pollution caused by burning fossil fuels. Tesla is now the best selling (not just electric car) car in California and in several other countries. They are more than doubling their capacity with two new plants. Other manufacturers' sales are dropping and their profit margins are around 1/3 of Tesla's in the last quarter.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Lohring Miller

Nobody asked the obvious question, so I will.

Does the law outlaw our little internal combustion engine models?

It doesn't affect me, I'm in Florida, but if all ICEs are outlawed that includes our little engines. I've seen many people showing big engines they've built.
No one knows.
The law is not clear
Try this one construction equipment uses same engines. The question are they ban too. Nothing on rebuilding and parts.

Dave

FYI California wants ban cows too.
Sounds like a gas to me

I was just in California racing RC boats. We use model airplane style nitro motors, industrial style gasoline motors and electric motors. I doubt that the ban includes model or any motors used for hobbies or racing, but I haven't read the actual law. The interesting thing was the LA County fire helicopters that showed up on two days to get water from the lake to put out fires. One fire was so close that ash rained down on our race site.

View attachment 130248

Just like the IC engine solved the problem of pollution caused by horses, electric power will help solve the pollution caused by burning fossil fuels. Tesla is now the best selling (not just electric car) car in California and in several other countries. They are more than doubling their capacity with two new plants. Other manufacturers' sales are dropping and their profit margins are around 1/3 of Tesla's in the last quarter.

Lohring Miller
If house prices are hitting $500,000 dollars I don't think the price of Tesla's cars will be a worry, the real worry is the up and coming COP 26, people jetting into Glasgow from around the world, followed by all their clingons, but telling the Scots, 5.4 million of them if they get on their bikes they will become carbon neutral by 2030 and of course they will be saving the planet.
Climate change may be a fact, but it could be natural combined with help from mankind but nonsense like COP26 will do nothing to change billions of lives on this planet, China and India have, between them, around 3500 coal fired power stations in the pipe line.
Billions still live in poverty, when will they get their Tesla's or even electric scooters, or clean water.
This planet is walking blind into a humanitarian apocalypse, migrants from Mexico and migrants from Africa and Asia into Europe are already placing pressure on the countries where they end up.
California's actions sound and read like knee jerk reactions from those in control but who aren't really in control.
Perhaps it IS too late.

There is something seriously wrong with the leftist weirdos in California, or all the blue states actually. Banning home generators?? What drugs are these idiots on. The whole climate change thing is a joke. They had to change the name from global warming to climate change when they realised that the earth is in a cooling cycle. There’s absolutely no evidence that the CO2 generated by human activity has any affect on climate. It’s all about politics imho.

Funny how much politics have found their way into a machining website? As very few of us use coal boilers steam engines and line shafting to power our workshops, maybe it isn't affecting our machining pleasure, just the use of the models we make? How about running engines on home-brewed alcohol instead of ground sourced oil products? Diesels will run on vegetable oils, milk is a usable lubricating coolant, though with a short life before it goes off! Etc. Etc.!
Sorry to hear how the legislators are upsetting you, but you elected them...?
Whether political or real, the changing world is "of our making" so get on and move with the times, as we all have to live with what the "ignorant and uninformed" will do whatever we would want for our world.
Any real issues for machining or models here?
Stay happy,
K2

View attachment 130248

Lohring Miller
In London, in Victorian times, battery electric lorries replaced horse drawn wagons by the thousand, before the infernal combustion engine became practical, and forced the need for cheap oil fuels. But most of the pollution wasn't horse dung, but human, and the air was thick with coal smoke...! The coal has gone, the horses too, and the human dung is processed and mostly recycled..... so this isn't a 21st. Century problem of change, just a part of a long process.
But it is a pity that governments representing more than 2/3rd of the global population are not attending the COP event.... Rightly or not, the minority will be battling against a large majority whatever they decide "we all should do".
K2

I see some problems with Lithium Pollution...
If most of the lithium comes from the sea, surely we can recycle it for now, or put it back into the sea when we find a reason to ban it?
They will ban stuff made from hydrogen and oxygen next.... like "people"?
Who said "We are star dust"... Mommas and Poppas?
"Ashes to ashes", was Mr. Bowie....
K2

When was the climate on Earth NOT changing? Geologists say at one time, the surface of the Earth was molten lava. Then the surface was all ice. So to me, the climate on Earth is ALWAYS changing. Stupid humans are changing Earth, just faster.
Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back