Ban on small engines in California

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you will remember the 1980's (before I was born) ...................

LOL, my "spring chicken" alarm just went off.......I guess that dates me a bit.
When I started college, we had IBM punch cards, and a big mainframe over in the corner, with a giant line printer.
There were no screens, mice, or other niceties. FORTRAN ruled the world.

We had a black and white TV until I was perhaps 8 years old, and many of the TV programs were still in B-W, even during the 60's.
The soap operas back then were gosh awful (worse than today if you can imagine such a thing).
They had like one camera set up in front of a big stage, and the people just walked around talking.
The housewives sat around lapping this stuff up, weeping at every turn of the script, and gosh forbid you would interrupt your mom while she was watching "Days of Our Lives".

"Special effects" in TV shows and movies meant a little spacecraft hung on a string, which they bounced across the screen, with a little smoke trailing out the rear. People have no idea how gosh awful the old TV shows and movies were (although they were not politically correct, so there was sort of a silver lining to them).

Its all good, just blogging this morning till the coffee kicks in fully.

If you will remember the 1980's (before I was born) ...................

LOL, my "spring chicken" alarm just went off.......I guess that dates me a bit.
When I started college, we had IBM punch cards, and a big mainframe over in the corner, with a giant line printer.
There were no screens, mice, or other niceties. FORTRAN ruled the world.

We had a black and white TV until I was perhaps 8 years old, and many of the TV programs were still in B-W, even during the 60's.
The soap operas back then were gosh awful (worse than today if you can imagine such a thing).
They had like one camera set up in front of a big stage, and the people just walked around talking.
The housewives sat around lapping this stuff up, weeping at every turn of the script, and gosh forbid you would interrupt your mom while she was watching "Days of Our Lives".

"Special effects" in TV shows and movies meant a little spacecraft hung on a string, which they bounced across the screen, with a little smoke trailing out the rear. People have no idea gosh awful the old TV shows and movies were (although they were not politically correct, so there was sort of a silver lining to them).

Its all good, just blogging this morning till the coffee kicks in fully.

Har har har. Yes, this dates you as an old coot. I'm a spring chicken. But my parents told me about the dark ages before cruise control and the internet. We had a B&W tv that lasted 20 years, bought in 1954. But that was in the daze of a thing called tubes (valves to you Brits), where when one burnt out, you could replace it. Ever heard of such a thing? Replace a part? Hell, now we just throw it in the garbage bin and get a new one.

Yes, this dates you as an old coot.

Yes, this is a pretty accurate description.
I bought a cane about two years ago, and sometimes hobble around on it when the knees give problems.
I am looking for a good law chair to purchase, so I can put it on the front porch, and when the neighborhood kids walk by, I can raise a clenched fist and yell loudly "GET OFF MY LAWN !!!".
Just kidding, I would never yell at the neighborhood kids; I use use the hose on them; they run much faster with that.

I feel lucky that I have been able to somewhat keep up with technology, but it has required a lot of work.
I am required to take 12 hours of continuing education every year by the State, and so to some extent that forces me to learn new things/techniques.

I always told my dad "You need to get a computer and learn CAD; you would be a natural".
He would always say "I don't need no %!!^&$^!@@&*(^&*% computer in this house"; he was an old-schooler's old-schooler, and he remembered when the family lumber mill was run by two large steam engines, when he started working there.

My dad's nickname (created by his buddies, not by me) was "Lo-Tech". LOL.

I am forced to be high-tech because otherwise I can't provide the services that my clients want.
For years, I did power distribution design only, and so many people wanted PLC/controls work that I basically was forced learned how to design that.
And all the power systems that I do these days have integrated monitoring for the internal components, connected to SCADA via ethernet.
Everything can be watched in real time; sort of a Big Brother for power systems, so to speak.

One of my first labs in college had analog computers, which were a big box of resistors, capacitors, and inductors.
The front was covered with dials to allow adjustment of the values of each component.
There are no transistors in an analog computer, and they are quite crude, but very accurate as far as telling you how a system will react, assuming you had an accurate mathematical model for the system you were studying.
It seems like we used an oscilliscope to view the input and output of the analog computer.

It should be noted that the indicator used to measure steam engine cylinder pressures was an early form of analog computer or I guess pressure indicator, and all sorts of things could be determimed by studying the printout of an indicator.
An indictor used a pencil that wrote on paper on a drum. Most ingeneous device for the 1800's.

And if you research how Hewlett Packard got started, they began the company in a garage.
The genius of HP was not a garage, but was in the minds of the two guys who started it.
They could have started HP in the middle of a grassy field, or in a cave, and still got the same results.

For my foundry, I have a hoist and a pouring cart for the larger iron pours (pours using a crucible over #10 in size), and so that removes the heavy lifting requirement.
My first iron pour used a hand-poured #30 crucible, but I was considerably stronger 10 years ago than I am now.

Most people I talk to assume that we have had modern electrical systems and lighting forever, and I have to remind them that modern electrical systems are a very new development that basically started in about 1896 with the Westinghouse 3-phase system.

One of my bosses, who was a certified "old-coot" use to brag about having to wind his own inductors, and make his own capacitors, etc., which is the electrical equivalent of having to walk 20 miles in the snow to school every day.
I told him "that is all good, but today's electronics is integrated, and it is all about how you integrate and use it".

When I started at an engineering firm in 1985, all drawings were hand drawn on vellum, using either pencil, or Indian ink.
There was no such thing as CAD. CAD was a pencil in your hand, and the sheet of paper in front of you.
It seems wild that we have come so far with regards to CAD in such a short period of time, but here we are.

If you look at old photos of engineering design rooms, there were drafting tables everywhere, and you basically stood all day in front of the drafting table, since it was not really practical to sit and draw very easily.

But the fact remains that we went to the moon using drafting tables, vellum and pencil/ink, and FORTRAN, and so what seems apparent is that the power of creativity is in the mind of the creator, not in some computer or computer program.
A computer program is only as good as the person who programmed it.

I truly love Solidworks (except for the functions that don't always work as intended), but I pulled out a lot of hair learning 3D modeling.
The problem with learning 3D modeling for me was much like learning machining, which was where/how do you start, and how do you progress through any given part/engine/assembly.
If someone had explained that to me clearly at the beginning of me learning 3D, it would have saved me perhaps a year in the learning curve.

3D modeling I think is as important as the creation of the wheel, the mastery of fire, or some other critical turningpoint in history (in my opinion).
With 3D modeling, I can basically virtually machine a part as I am designing it, assemble an entire engine, have the software check for inteferences, and run the engine virtually to verify function.
I can also analyze the valve gear events using the motion study part of Solidworks, and freeze the motion at any time, and zoom in to see exactly what is happening with the valve and ports.

But in the end, it is like one guy told me, software is like an airplane; its all about how you fly it to a great extent.

If I get too old, I will have to change my signature to read "wheelchairs with scissors".
Whatever it takes I guess. I am not going to slow down until I am in the grave. There is much to be done yet.

Edit:
LOL, good thing I am not drifting off topic here......LOL. Sorry about the drift.

Last edited:
Very simple question to Global warming folks, and one they cannot answer.
But of course , GW is a religious experience to them and they do not use their brains
So here is the question , very simple, and I want you to think about it ......

What would happen tomorrow if that glowing yellow ball in the sky did not come up ?

Simple , yes ? but they will stutter... and maybe say a few unrelated comments
And then I say
Isn't it strange, that the greatest factor in warming the earth is NOT factored into
any of the GW statistics or calculations or charts !

Then I say (using GW logic !)
More pedestrians were killed on paved streets last year than were killed on Grass...so
Lets remove all the macadam and concrete from roads and plant grass instead--We will almost stop all
pedestrians fatalities !............................ Same GW logic..or should I say ...Lack there of

Rich

Very simple question to Global warming folks, and one they cannot answer.
But of course , GW is a religious experience to them and they do not use their brains
So here is the question , very simple, and I want you to think about it ......

What would happen tomorrow if that glowing yellow ball in the sky did not come up ?

Simple , yes ? but they will stutter... and maybe say a few unrelated comments
And then I say
Isn't it strange, that the greatest factor in warming the earth is NOT factored into
any of the GW statistics or calculations or charts !

Then I say (using GW logic !)
More pedestrians were killed on paved streets last year than were killed on Grass...so
Lets remove all the macadam and concrete from roads and plant grass instead--We will almost stop all
pedestrians fatalities !............................ Same GW logic..or should I say ...Lack there of

Rich
Thanx for that. However, it is not the sun that keeps the earth warm, it is radioactive decay inside the earth. The sun does, however, heat the surface thru summer and winter. But if it were not for radioactive decay, earth would be like the moon.

Lots of peeps thimpfk that the greatest human creation is the great wall of China, or the large dams like Grand Coulee or the Chinese one on the Yellow, or what ever. But that is not correct. The largest creation due to mankind is the USA interstate hiway system. It has somethng like 9000X as much concrete in it as the Grand Coulee. it's total length is tens of thousands of miles. It's one of those forgotten things, or people never knew to begin with, like our sewer systems. Without something like our sewer systems, we probably would not have the great civilization that we have. Usually we think it is electricity and running water, but the sewage system is at least that important too. Same with the interstate system. So, just for you, we can plant the interstate system with trees and grass--that should teach the tree huggers. you thimpfk?

Yes, this dates you as an old coot.

Yes, this is a pretty accurate description.
I bought a cane about two years ago, and sometimes hobble around on it when the knees give problems.
I am looking for a good law chair to purchase, so I can put it on the front porch, and when the neighborhood kids walk by, I can raise a clenched fist and yell loudly "GET OFF MY LAWN !!!".
Just kidding, I would never yell at the neighborhood kids; I use use the hose on them; they run much faster with that.

I feel lucky that I have been able to somewhat keep up with technology, but it has required a lot of work.
I am required to take 12 hours of continuing education every year by the State, and so to some extent that forces me to learn new things/techniques.

I always told my dad "You need to get a computer and learn CAD; you would be a natural".
He would always say "I don't need no %!!^&$^!@@&*(^&*% computer in this house"; he was an old-schooler's old-schooler, and he remembered when the family lumber mill was run by two large steam engines, when he started working there.

My dad's nickname (created by his buddies, not by me) was "Lo-Tech". LOL.

I am forced to be high-tech because otherwise I can't provide the services that my clients want.
For years, I did power distribution design only, and so many people wanted PLC/controls work that I basically was forced learned how to design that.
And all the power systems that I do these days have integrated monitoring for the internal components, connected to SCADA via ethernet.
Everything can be watched in real time; sort of a Big Brother for power systems, so to speak.

One of my first labs in college had analog computers, which were a big box of resistors, capacitors, and inductors.
The front was covered with dials to allow adjustment of the values of each component.
There are no transistors in an analog computer, and they are quite crude, but very accurate as far as telling you how a system will react, assuming you had an accurate mathematical model for the system you were studying.
It seems like we used an oscilliscope to view the input and output of the analog computer.

It should be noted that the indicator used to measure steam engine cylinder pressures was an early form of analog computer or I guess pressure indicator, and all sorts of things could be determimed by studying the printout of an indicator.
An indictor used a pencil that wrote on paper on a drum. Most ingeneous device for the 1800's.

And if you research how Hewlett Packard got started, they began the company in a garage.
The genius of HP was not a garage, but was in the minds of the two guys who started it.
They could have started HP in the middle of a grassy field, or in a cave, and still got the same results.

For my foundry, I have a hoist and a pouring cart for the larger iron pours (pours using a crucible over #10 in size), and so that removes the heavy lifting requirement.
My first iron pour used a hand-poured #30 crucible, but I was considerably stronger 10 years ago than I am now.

Most people I talk to assume that we have had modern electrical systems and lighting forever, and I have to remind them that modern electrical systems are a very new development that basically started in about 1896 with the Westinghouse 3-phase system.

One of my bosses, who was a certified "old-coot" use to brag about having to wind his own inductors, and make his own capacitors, etc., which is the electrical equivalent of having to walk 20 miles in the snow to school every day.
I told him "that is all good, but today's electronics is integrated, and it is all about how you integrate and use it".

When I started at an engineering firm in 1985, all drawings were hand drawn on vellum, using either pencil, or Indian ink.
There was no such thing as CAD. CAD was a pencil in your hand, and the sheet of paper in front of you.
It seems wild that we have come so far with regards to CAD in such a short period of time, but here we are.

If you look at old photos of engineering design rooms, there were drafting tables everywhere, and you basically stood all day in front of the drafting table, since it was not really practical to sit and draw very easily.

But the fact remains that we went to the moon using drafting tables, vellum and pencil/ink, and FORTRAN, and so what seems apparent is that the power of creativity is in the mind of the creator, not in some computer or computer program.
A computer program is only as good as the person who programmed it.

I truly love Solidworks (except for the functions that don't always work as intended), but I pulled out a lot of hair learning 3D modeling.
The problem with learning 3D modeling for me was much like learning machining, which was where/how do you start, and how do you progress through any given part/engine/assembly.
If someone had explained that to me clearly at the beginning of me learning 3D, it would have saved me perhaps a year in the learning curve.

3D modeling I think is as important as the creation of the wheel, the mastery of fire, or some other critical turningpoint in history (in my opinion).
With 3D modeling, I can basically virtually machine a part as I am designing it, assemble an entire engine, have the software check for inteferences, and run the engine virtually to verify function.
I can also analyze the valve gear events using the motion study part of Solidworks, and freeze the motion at any time, and zoom in to see exactly what is happening with the valve and ports.

But in the end, it is like one guy told me, software is like an airplane; its all about how you fly it to a great extent.

If I get too old, I will have to change my signature to read "wheelchairs with scissors".
Whatever it takes I guess. I am not going to slow down until I am in the grave. There is much to be done yet.

Edit:
LOL, good thing I am not drifting off topic here......LOL. Sorry about the drift.
Could I ask you, is that a "digital" cane? Is it global warming proof?

Richard

Why do you always spell "Think " wrong ?

Is it some new slang ? Is your keyboard broken ?

There must be a reason

Scott
Geez I didn't know anyone noticed. It's a joke. Just thimpfk how difficult this is to pronounce. How ridiculous can it be? You might call this the "French spelling". Kernel-colonel, and all that where nothing is spelled how we would pronounce it in Engrish. -- Oh excuse me, that was Japanese.

Could I ask you, is that a "digital" cane? Is it global warming proof?
I probably need to cast a cane in gray iron, since the "steampunk look" is all the rage these days.

The "global warming" thing is right out of the Saul Alinsky handbook.
RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”

They use it for whatever "crisis of the week" that they come up with.

I was watching a herd dog herding some sheep the other day, and the herd dog never actually bites or harms the sheep, but it is the threat of a bite, and the fear that is so effective at getting the sheep to do whatever one wants.

Its an elaborate political 3-ring circus that is effectively used to control many/most of the sheep-type people in society today.

"Today's crisis" morphs as needed by the politicians and political players.
When global warming was debunked, and all of our cities turned out not to be underwater (surprise, surprise, who would have thought?), then they morphed "global warming" into "climate change", so as to obscure the real agenda in many layers of murky "pseudo-science".

LOL, the climate has been changing from hot to cold since the earth began (I know, I am old enough to remember when the earth began.....just kidding).
Just ask any dinosaur you meet (not me) about cold snaps.

And then there was a warm snap, and the ocean was actually almost at the center of the United States, and you can see that in the fossil record, and in the fossils found near this area, which are all ocean-going creatures.
Climate like probably anything else, is cyclic, and it swings one way, and then the other.

Politicians make excellent use of the chicken little effect.

The only thing that alarms me about anything in the world these days is how naïve the general population worldwide is, even as we enter the 21st Century.
All the gains in electronics and communication have not improved human intelligence one iota (in my opinion), and as a matter of fact, there seems to be a direct correlation between gains in electronics/communications and the seemingly endless increase in the stupidity of the general public.

I call it the Jim Jones syndrome on steroids.
I believe that if the MSM told everyone that flinging themselves off of tall cliffs would help mankind (politically correct "personkind"), then you would not want to be lingering around under any cliffs due to the massive raining down of highly enthusiastic falling folks, all convinced they are saving the planet, and saving the whale too! (a two-fer as they say), all with a huge grin on their face.

Such is life; human nature will remain human nature.
People should put forth the effort to educate themselves, not act like sheep, and not do sheep things at the beck and will of politicians.

Edit:
As the saying goes, you can always tell when a politician and the main stream media (they are actually the same entity) is lying, because their lips are moving.

Edit2:
Critical thinking has morphed into criticizing/attacking anyone who comes up with logic and hard facts which disprove the official political narritive of the day. We have literally gone down the Alice and Wonderland rabbit hole; not to be all pessimistic and such.
If things get too bad, I hope to dig a big rabbit hole, move my shop down there, and continue making engines as the policical/cultural wars rage above me.

Last edited:
I probably need to cast a cane in gray iron, since the "steampunk look" is all the rage these days.

The "global warming" thing is right out of the Saul Alinsky handbook.
RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.”

They use it for whatever "crisis of the week" that they come up with.

I was watching a herd dog herding some sheep the other day, and the herd dog never actually bites or harms the sheep, but it is the threat of a bite, and the fear that is so effective at getting the sheep to do whatever one wants.

Its an elaborate political 3-ring circus that is effectively used to control many/most of the sheep-type people in society today.

"Today's crisis" morphs as needed by the politicians and political players.
When global warming was debunked, and all of our cities turned out not to be underwater (surprise, surprise, who would have thought?), then they morphed "global warming" into "climate change", so as to obscure the real agenda in many layers of murky "pseudo-science".

LOL, the climate has been changing from hot to cold since the earth began (I know, I am old enough to remember when the earth began.....just kidding).
Just ask any dinosaur you meet (not me) about cold snaps.

And then there was a warm snap, and the ocean was actually almost at the center of the United States, and you can see that in the fossil record, and in the fossils found near this area, which are all ocean-going creatures.
Climate like probably anything else, is cyclic, and it swings one way, and then the other.

Politicians make excellent use of the chicken little effect.

The only thing that alarms me about anything in the world these days is how naïve the general population worldwide is, even as we enter the 21st Century.
All the gains in electronics and communication have not improved human intelligence one iota (in my opinion), and as a matter of fact, there seems to be a direct correlation between gains in electronics/communications and the seemingly endless increase in the stupidity of the general public.

I call it the Jim Jones syndrome on steroids.
I believe that if the MSM told everyone that flinging themselves off of tall cliffs would help mankind (politically correct "personkind"), then you would not want to be lingering around under any cliffs due to the massive raining down of highly enthusiastic falling folks, all convinced they are saving the planet, and saving the whale too! (a two-fer as they say), all with a huge grin on their face.

Such is life; human nature will remain human nature.
People should put forth the effort to educate themselves, not act like sheep, and not do sheep things at the beck and will of politicians.

Yess, yes, remember the 90'? ( I wasn't born yet). It wasn't global warming, it was "global cooling". Really! This week's crisis, that's what I call the "pandemic"--this weeks virus (or whatever).

Honestly (since I am a nut-job conspiracy "theorist"), I believe that the international banksters are behind all this. That is, they already have trillions of $$ and immense power, but they want MORE! They want it ALL! And part of that is to robotize all that can be robotized, and then they won't need us slaves so that they can kill us all. This isn't a joke either. last year, I workt in the harvest driving a corn harvester. I said to one of the ladies that in 20 years, this will all be done by AI. She replied that it will never happen. Yet, they already have seeding done by GPS, and have developed the harvesters to follow GPS. They are working on a method to move the picking cones left and right to go down the rows withou having to turn the steering wheels. Everything is being developed by the year. There is alrady a robot that can build a house without human ever touching any part.

Check ut the so called "georgia guidesstones". They intend to have only 500 million people. It is my belief that the virus's that keep popping up (out of Africa where they can practice and nobody cares) are tests being run. It is also that they can develop remedies and save themselves or save those they consider worthy. I may be wrong, but then who trusts their government or the corporations? The global banksters are worse than any of them.

I tell my kids that you could get some people to do anyting at all including volunteer for the firing squad.

You can be certain that as technology evolves, politicians and others will leveage that to do their bidding, and that bidding probably is not in the best interst of society.

Robotics have replace many workers in factories, and that trend will continue as long as it is a cost-effective solution.
It begs the question thought about when automation builds everything, what do the workers do for a living?
The answer for many (including one of my relatives who at one time worked in a tire plant) is to go back to school and get an automation degree, and work in the automation field. Someone has to install and maintain all that automation, not to mention program it all.
"Roll with the flow" as they say.

For me, I try to stay focused on model engine design/building, and not worry too much about things that will happen regardless of what I do.
I do try and support the right of folks to make free and educated choices about it all, and not let some bureaucrat dictate reality.
It is one thing for politicians to make bad decisions, and entirely another thing for politicians to strip you of all your rights to object to their bad decisions. Right now we are in the "strip" phase.

Geez I didn't know anyone noticed. It's a joke. Just thimpfk how difficult this is to pronounce. How ridiculous can it be? You might call this the "French spelling". Kernel-colonel, and all that where nothing is spelled how we would pronounce it in Engrish. -- Oh excuse me, that was Japanese.

Misspelled words bother me, I am a terrible speller and rely on spell check a lot because I think that a misspelled word shows a lack of intelligence. Now days everything has spell check and to not use it is just lazy, and to misspell on purpose, I just don't get it.
Sorry I don't see the humor
This is just my opinion, but thought I would explain why I asked.

Scott

Edit
I may not be smart enough to spell well but , at least I am smart enough to use spell check

Misspelled words bother me, I am a terrible speller and rely on spell check a lot because I think that a misspelled word shows a lack of intelligence. Now days everything has spell check and to not use it is just lazy, and to misspell on purpose, I just don't get it.

Scott

Edit
I may not be smart enough to spell well but , at least I am smart enough to use spell check
I know some folks here (I won't mention any names) who type quickly, make lots of mistakes, and it is a one-time deal.
They never come back and correct numerous typos.
But I know for a fact that they are highly skilled, highly intelligent folks, and so I think it is a matter of having limited time to post, and caring more about content than exact correctness.

I have had people correct my spelling, and I must say I don't like to make spelling/grammar errors, that is just not where I am at.....
LOL "not where I am at" is a joke....get it.....bad grammar.

Edit:
Who was it said "I appreciate your honesty, but not nearly as much as I resent it".

Scott

Edit
Actually, I am a very goo speller, I like to shake things up by mis-spelling. But I does have to tell you something funni. It wasn't until about 1856 that peeps spelt everything like it sounds. But in 1856, Daniel Webster came out with his "spelling primer" (pronounced prim mer). After that, "rules" were established and you had to spell like that prescribed. I thimpfks that is a krok of you know what. Even so, when I see bad spelling, I too take it that the person is uneducated. Worse however, is that peeps don't know the dif between 'their', 'there', & 'they're'; your, you're, two, to and too and others as well.

Actually, I am a very goo speller, I like to shake things up by mis-spelling. But I does have to tell you something funni. It wasn't until about 1856 that peeps spelt everything like it sounds. But in 1856, Daniel Webster came out with his "spelling primer" (pronounced prim mer). After that, "rules" were established and you had to spell like that prescribed. I thimpfks that is a krok of you know what. Even so, when I see bad spelling, I too take it that the person is uneducated. Worse however, is that peeps don't know the dif between 'their', 'there', & 'they're'; your, you're, two, to and too and others as well.
LOL

My daughter sends out text messages, using words such as B4 (before), U2 (you too), ICU (I see you), IMO (in my opinion), OMG (oh my god), UC (you see), and on and on.
One has to keep up with today's jargon or be left behind, TBH (to be honest).

Do not forget the remote.
The to turn the channel and get few steps at same time.

Today no knob
Lose the remote you have a black painting

Dave

Har har har. Yes, this dates you as an old coot. I'm a spring chicken. But my parents told me about the dark ages before cruise control and the internet. We had a B&W tv that lasted 20 years, bought in 1954. But that was in the daze of a thing called tubes (valves to you Brits), where when one burnt out, you could replace it. Ever heard of such a thing? Replace a part? Hell, now we just throw it in the garbage bin and get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back