Ball Bearing Chuck Key Spinner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobWarfield

Reaction score
After the cross bar on the chuck key for my collet chuck fell onto the floor for about the hundredth time, I got to thinking about knurling it near the middle so it would be less likely to do that. By the time I got that done, i was thinking I needed a spinner handle. If you've used a collet chuck, you'll know it takes a lot of cranking on that darned key to get a collet changed. Changing a part is not so bad you don't change collets--mine takes about one turn to tighten on a new part.

I looked around the shop for scraps from which to make a spinner and spied a bag of skate bearings on a shelf. The lightbulb went on over my head:

P1010557.JPG

The bearing itself is shrunk fit onto the brass axle, which has a press fit onto the chuck key. Works like a charm and the bearing makes a fine handle from which to spin away. In fact, it has a very nice feel!

P1010555.JPG

Quick and easy. Git 'er done! :big:

Cheers,

BW

Good idea, Bob. By the way, is that a granite counter top you've got out there in your shop? ::)

cfellows said:
Good idea, Bob. By the way, is that a granite counter top you've got out there in your shop? ::)

Why yes, it is a granite counter. This isn't my main shop, it's the "heat treating" shop. There's also a fridge, pantry, and maple cabinets. The wife keeps storing odd things in here though: plates, dishes, silverware, corn flakes, canned goods, you name it. I can't get her to keep the space available for my shop stuff. She acts like its a kitchen or some darned thing.

Very frustrating!

BW

Quite a few years ago I did a clean rebuild of my Moto Guzzi in that room, when a friend of the daughters came to collect her one morning, after the double take I asked if she'd never seen a cooker in a garage before? Regards Ian.

Odd, Mrs Tel seems to think that I'm the only one that does things like that. ;D

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the world of engineering and i'm a little daunted by it all :-\

I'd like some advice from all you learned peoples. What type of workshop machinery should I buy first. Should I be looking at getting a lathe first or a mill.

First off I'll need to teach my self the skills to use either machine but eventually i'd like to be able to make myself an engine or 2 ;D

Should I look at individual machines or will a lathe/mill combo machine do the trick.

Any advice will be greatly welcomed.

Cheers,

Glenn.

Latest posts

Back