B16 to J33 adaptor anyone?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizelli

Reaction score
I have owned a chinese pillar drill for many years, its accurate and works well for what it cost. The chuck has decided to lose all its gear teeth (a bit like its owner) and I need to replace it. Heres the snag: the end of the drill spindle has a male JT33 taper, but replacement chucks with this internal taper - here in the UK at any rate - are virtually impossible to obtain. So far I have ordered three of them, and every one has turned out to have a B16 taper, which won't fit the spindle, and with all the hassle of negotiating multiple refunds and getting the postage costs back I'm starting to look at alternatives.

It occurred to me that it should be possible to make a 'thimble', with a JT33 taper on the intside and a B16 on the outside, although getting the tapers correct would be a challenge, so better still, maybe I could buy one and save a lot of hassle. Has anyone come across such a thing? If it helps, I believe that B16 is the same taper as the thin end of a Morse MT1
Thanks
Martin

Don't think you could make an adaptor: Small end of B16 is 14.52mm and small end of JT33 is 14.25mm. This might be a silly question but are you sure the spindle has a male end could it be the end of a morse taper arbor that is firmly into the spindle?
If it is a JT33 end you can get *** THIS *** in the UK.
John

Last edited:
Just a stab in the dark but have you checked with Screwfix who sell a large-ish quantity of drill chucks?

Aldi are flogging complete units- and they are not moving here.

I 'm waiting for them to DROP the price of the fretsaws also on offer

OK, I don't believe in fairies but one of their saw benches dropped to the replacement price of their saw blades.

Norm

As a postscript- too many normal Christmas parties and singing Christmas Carols in Cantonese( ?), I fancy that one supplier of your drill was NU Tool ltd
I 've seen the outlet in Normanton on the Way to Wakefield like the Grand Old Duke of York on Sandal Hill but Googling gives Doncaster. Worth a try?

Actually, Have a scrap one from the local tip- no chuck-- sorry!

Thanks for the quick responses, chaps. I realise that the two tapers are very close relations, but I was assuming that I could make an adaptor like a sewing thimble (does anyone still use them?) with a wall thickness of maybe 1 - 2 mm - it will push the chuck a little closer to the table, but not by much. It all depends on my taper turning skills....

Lots of companies are selling the Draper chuck, in fact all three that I have unsuccessfully tried to buy were advertised as this, and turned out to be with the B16 taper - the last company were very apologetic and told me that Draper no longer make this model. I have found one made by Rohm for around £40 which seems to be correct, but a) who knows what I will actually get, and b) I can buy a complete replacement bench drill for around £55, and probably less if I haunt Aldi or Lidl for a while. Any other syuggestions are welcome!
Cheers
Martin

Thanks for the quick responses, chaps. I realise that the two tapers are very close relations, but I was assuming that I could make an adaptor like a sewing thimble (does anyone still use them?) with a wall thickness of maybe 1 - 2 mm - it will push the chuck a little closer to the table, but not by much. It all depends on my taper turning skills....

Lots of companies are selling the Draper chuck, in fact all three that I have unsuccessfully tried to buy were advertised as this, and turned out to be with the B16 taper - the last company were very apologetic and told me that Draper no longer make this model. I have found one made by Rohm for around £40 which seems to be correct, but a) who knows what I will actually get, and b) I can buy a complete replacement bench drill for around £55, and probably less if I haunt Aldi or Lidl for a while. Any other syuggestions are welcome!
Cheers
Martin

You will get what you order!!! Seriously ever catalog I've seen and more than a few online sites spec the chucks taper for each chuck listed. If you order a chuck with a Jacobs taper that is what you should get. If this item came in wrong three times you are either ordering the wrong part or your supplier is screwing up badly.

Latest posts

Back