Auxiliary Highspeed spindle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefang

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

once again, all my current projects came to a stop, because I wanted to build a tool (to build other tools, that will build other tools, ...you know the drill :) )

This time its Jerry Howells Highspeed Spindle:
http://www.model-engine-plans.com/engineplans/bookshelf/millspindle.htm?47,17

I ordered the plans, and started building...this is the result:

Aux1.jpg

I modified the design to accept the small steel collets from the Proxxon Micro-Powertools (Almost like the Dremel ones, but made of hardened steel and ground)

Aux2.jpg

Fits into a 20mm collet, the motor is a cheap size 540 Type, but I am looking for a DC Servo with a bit more grunt.

Tested it with an ATX Pc powersupply, works great for engraving and endmills smaller 2mm.

Here a short video (bit blurry):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1c8CW6EhMQ[/ame]

And the result:
Auxtest1.jpg

(If you wonder, "CNC-Ecke" (cnc-corner) is a german forum about cnc/manual machining...)

greetings
Stefan

hi stefan, very well done job there

I like this tool, my mill doesn't go over 1500 rpm and this one seems to be a neat solution to overcome the problem

another tool on the neverending list of 'to do'

Nice job, Stefan. Looks good and works great.
Thank you for the video!

Dean

Hello Stefang, listen to an engine that you used, what equipment did you get it from? Hello Vincent.

Thanks a lot :)

another tool on the neverending list of 'to do'

Yeah, but this thing can be done in one evening :)

listen to an engine that you used, what equipment did you get it from?

The motor? It is a store bought motor, generally used in rc cars, cordless powertools, hairdryers, etc..

greetings
Stefan

Nice job Stefan!
My Dremel pantograph uses what looks like the same chuck. I don't use it often but when I want to I can do small detail stuff. With the CNC you have there's no limit to what you can do other than yor imagination.
Regards,
Rich

Latest posts

Back