• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Atom V incomplete free for shipping

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byawor

Reaction score
I can not verify condition and will never get to it I have one page of plans. Free for shipping from Canada
Bob

Attachments

• atom.jpg
    atom.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
That’s an interesting engine, but I’m having trouble finding any info on it. Can you shed any further light on that model? Looks like a 2 stroke, but I can’t tell Mitch from the picture.

Thanks in advance!
John W

It is one of E T Westbury's designs. 30cc 2-stroke tether boat engine.

Picture above looks like it may be a water coole done rather than the usual air cooled

I’d love to have a go at it. Looks to be a rotary valve 2-stroke, and perhaps water cooled as you said. I couldn’t find much about the Atom V, just an old auction site, loads of Atom III pics which were considerably smaller. Are the plans you’ve got enough to complete a build, or will it be up to the machinist to work out the remaining details?

Anyway, if you don’t have any local takers, I might be interested in attempting to complete it.

Thanks,
John W

I’d love to have a go at it. Looks to be a rotary valve 2-stroke, and perhaps water cooled as you said. I couldn’t find much about the Atom V, just an old auction site, loads of Atom III pics which were considerably smaller. Are the plans you’ve got enough to complete a build, or will it be up to the machinist to work out the remaining details?

Anyway, if you don’t have any local takers, I might be interested in attempting to complete it.

Thanks,
John W
Hi, I made one, yes its a rotary valve on the back of the crankcase. I might even be able to retrieve a copy of the plans I donated to my model engineering club. The drawings are for an air cooled. The picture, might just be the cylinder before the fins cut, and it's missing a head. I am in the uk. But if some is keen to take the project on I will post the plans if I can find them. Let me know

Looks like the ports are not right probably not salvageable. The plans I have do not show the port dimensions so can not tell for sure.

Looks like the ports are not right probably not salvageable. The plans I have do not show the port dimensions so can not tell for sure.
I assume you’re referring to the intake transfer ports in the cylinder? I figured that’s what the two external covers concealed.

As for the exhaust port timing, it’d be interesting to see how that aligns with the exhaust manifold mounts on the front of the engine.

I’m still willing to take a shot at it if it’s still a consideration. 2 stroke engines are my specialty, as you can see by the vintage Bultaco trials bike in my picture!

Thanks,
John W

There is no manifold mount at the front of the engine. The pipes just have an oval flange to "match" the casting. It's a Twin pipe one down each side simple bent pipe with splayed end.

Timing is going to be down to where the ports meet the bore not so much what they look like externally. I assume this watercooled one has a separate liner, the aircooled drawings have what I take as a cast iron cylinder as no liner is shown. So it will be down to how the ports were cut in the liner. However if it is a separate liner you could probably remove it and remachine a new one if the ports were found to be out.

The other option woul dbe to bin the watercooled cylinder and carve a ne wair cooled one from CI bar. Should be fairly straightforward with just a bit of fiddling around the angled exhaust bosses. Could be even simpler if cut from steel and exhaust bosses silver soldered on and then drop in a cast iron liner. This would give a safety margin as if you get it wrong you only need a new liner not thewhole cylinder.

Attachments

• v.JPG
    v.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back