Atlas/Craftsman Lathe questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Fitch

Reaction score
I found this lathe for sale locally. I went out and had a lock at it today and
it looks just like it does in the pictures. I don't know how to operate this lathe
so I did not power it up. Please help me identify it and please give me an estimated value. There is quite a bit of slop in the knob/wheel on the bottom left of the carriage. The gentlemen is asking $1500.00. It includes a 3 jaw chuck and a couple of cutting bits only.

Unfortunately the site will not let me upload images at this time. --- I GOT THEM UPLOADED

Thanks Guys.

P1020466.jpg

P1020467.jpg

P1020468.jpg

Since, you do not how to run the unit I would say stay away. For a few dollars more you can buy a new lathe from Grizzly or any number of suppliers of Chinese lathes. They will come with a warranty and spares can be bought. You will not have to make do due to worn parts and ways.

I paid $300.00 for two rockwell lathes at auction a few years ago. It took both to make one, but the price was right. I had the time and the space to work on the units and now have a very good old lathe.

Best of luck

I would like to own an American made machine. I am great at fixing/fixing up machinery. Not a great machinist yet... I found a lightly used Jet 9 X 20 on the local Craigs List for $1200, which I imagine I could get for $1000.00, but I am looking for USA made this time. I was hoping to offer the gentlemen about $400 for the Craftsman lathe and enjoy fixing her up. No worries guys.. If anyone can fix her up nice, it's me.

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/5107465129.html

Paul

1Fitch, $400.00 would be a great price and I am sure you can put it right.

Good Luck

Don't worry about slop in the handwheel on the bottom left, it's just running a gear along a rack. Looks like a good clean will bring it up nicely, although I think $1500 is too much for it. Don't get an obsession about "old American Iron" being better than something from China. I admit that the smaller Chinese made lathes need some work to get them running right, but once you get on to some good sized ones, there is nothing wrong with them.

Paul.

I hope the additional images made it.

This was the first lathe I work with. Loved it and this one has a quick
change gear box.It's a 10x36 if in good shape get it (bargain a little) and you will never regret it. Huh yes when you sell it again LOL

cheers

Luc

If you would like to know more about these lathes, mrpete222 (the Tubal Cain in the USA) features one and buys and cleans up one in several of his online videos: Search for mrpete222 on youtube.

I agree that $1500 seems quite a high price for what I see in the pictures. You would probably easily get to over $2000 fixing it up and buying things for it. If you can't get it for much less than $1500 then you can probably find something better in that price range.

--ShopShoe

Things to look for: condition especially of the ways.

Tooling My south bend came with a collet tube and and collets 3 and 4 jaw chuck centers drill holder etc.

Location tools seem to be more plentiful and cheaper in the NE but lots is being shipped to mexico and overseas by dealers. the supply and demand thing.

You can get a new Grizzly 9x19 for a grand and 10x22 for 1200 . $1500 will buy a new import with decent amount of tooling and
accessories.
Tin

If you want an older American lathe and wanting to strip down and fix up for pleasure then go for it.Just dont overspend and ensure the ways etc are good enough.You need a sound base or its a waste of time from day one.
I got a lot of pleasure from doing up the Advance lathe and got my money
back when i sold it .Not the labour costs of course

Thanks for all the input guys. As much as I would enjoy fixing this machine up and owning an American made machine tool it would be far more economical to just buy one of the China 9x20 lathes. The machine I am looking at is not light or easy to move either. It has the motor mounted in the base cabinet. My guess is around 600lbs or so. I think the China lathes (9X20 flavor) are around 400ish pounds. I read an article on the net just last night (and am kicking myself for not bookmarking it) about how much more rigidity and tighter tolerances one gets with a heavier machine. I know I have also heard Tubalcain speak of it too. I also know I have been working with a Sherline lathe I have owned for about 14 years and have just gotten used to not being able to turn 1 1/2 inch steel in a hurry. As an auto mechanic, I often have access to axles that have been replaced. The Sherline will visibly flex if I try to turn a piece to aggressively. I guess at this point any machine will be a major upgrade for cutting steel so I will what happens as far as lathes go. I will keep you guys posted.

Latest posts

Back