Army Machinist

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipp48

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a US Army machinist currently serving in Iraq. I stubbled across this forum in April while looking for projects to help train my Soldier and I've been enjoying it ever since. Unfortunately we've been too busy doing actual work and not able to work on side projects. I've been making my living as a machinist since 1987 and have been an Army machinist since 1991.
I made a couple of small steam engines in the early 90's for Soldiers leaving the unit, they were simple oscillators.
Looking forward to posting and corresponding with you all.

Take care,
Skip

Welcome Skip, and Thank you for your service.

Great bunch of people here.

Ron

Welcome Skip!
And another Thank You for your service!

Dave

Welcome to the forum Skip wEc1 nice to have you on board.

Vic.

Welcome to the forum Skip.
I'm looking forward to your posts and pics.

wEc1 to the forum Skip

Looking forward to your posts

Regards
Gordy

Skip,

First off, I am greatfull that you are serving our country.

Second, welcome aboard. wEc1

Highest regards,

SAM

Welcome Skip. Have a good tour.

What kind of machinery are you using?

Cheers,
Phil

Skip, welcome aboard boot! ;D ;D and thank you for your commitment to this country. Thank you VERY much. What kind of machines have you worked with and what engines if any have you done or have a fancy for? All of us here like them all, some styles more than others but have a deep appreciation for their development and making.

BC1
Jim

Welcome Skip:
Go Ordnance . I was actually National Guard fro 24 years. I spent the summer of '97 at APG MD in the USAF welding and machining school. Looking forward to your input. And am sure the guys will help as thy can .
Tin

Skip,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Thanks for your service to the USA from one of your downunder allies. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hello Skip,

Welcome, & best wishes for you for a good tour of duty.

Mike,
in England.

Hello Skip

Welcome to our forum wEc1
Best regards
paolo

Welcome here skip
i too want to thank u for doing u service to our country people like your self make it possible
for us to have what we have. looking forward to some projects coming from u guys over there.
may u return home safe and sound. THANK YOU :bow:

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it. This is actually the first time I've done any real machining in the past few years.
I currently have in my shop a Standard Modern 13"X34" engine lathe, a Jet bench top mill and a horizontal band saw. Also have mig, tig and arc welding capabilities.
Have had a few problems with the lathe in the past few months; the screws that retain the idler gear in the sealed quick change gear box came loose, had no lead screw movement and no feed, oops. I drain the oil, opened the case and found the gear lying on the bottom of the box. There was no damage so I put it all back together, fill the box with oil and all was good.
Few weeks later while facing a work piece the cross feed goes out, oops. I had to disassemble and separate the saddle from the carriage. While inspecting I discovered that the retaining clip that retains the Bendix gear to the shaft was missing. Didn't want to drain the oil so I acquired a magnetic retriever and fished the clip from the oil. The clip was deformed and I needed a replacement so after a 3 hour search I found someone who just happened to have an assortment kit, I was lucky. Reassembled everything and all was good.
This morning I turn the lathe on and I heard a loud squeaking sound and I quickly shut the power off! Now what? well the set screw that retains the key and the main drive pulley in place worked itself loose. I opened the door on back of the head stock and the key was resting on the bottom of the door. To make a long story short, I replaced the key, aligned the pulley, secured it and all was good. I think the lathe may have been built on a Friday.
Well, I think that's enough rambling for now. I'll post some pic's as soon as I figure out how.

Take care,
Skip

Well, I think that's enough rambling for now. I'll post some pic's as soon as I figure out how.

What most folks do is upload photos to a hosting site. These sites are free to join I use photobucket but there are picassa and others.
You upload your pics to your page on one of these sites then copy and past the IMG link to the thread here.
So the army is using jet equipment there always seemed to be something wrong with the US military buying import stuff to support the troops. I understand some stuff will be purchased in theater.
Tin

Hi Skip, wEc1 from another Aussie and thanks for your service.

Regards and best wishes,
Ian(seagar)

Back