Anyone know about or seen this?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie28

Reaction score
To all-

Has any one seen or attempted to build this engine? www.greensteamengine.com

I have looked and studied this and have visited forums and some say it is crap. I like the idea and thinks i can duplicate it or even improve on the idea. Comments??

Thanks-

Dan

They work sort of, and like most of the this is the one that will change the world. It never quite works well enough and they fall back on well you didn't do or make something correctly. As you might of noticed he wants to sell you the license rights.
They never have one running for any length of time generating or doing any useful work. If that's the same one the site hasn't been update in ages. this engine style or type has been around for ever and the flex connections are all ways the weak link

Here is another one that has been aroundhttp://www.cyclonepower.com/index.html
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ja-h7ti4VRQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ja-h7ti4VRQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

This one was put up on y tube in 2007 they claim they had a deal with a us car company. They have added more videos of the engine in assorted applications. As they are listed on the side bar. But they still can't get a weed wacker company to build and sell them. Go figure. If and when they get it to work well enough to justify the cost we will hear about it everywhere.
Most of video's on this engine are put up by a eco stock sales company so that tells me they are still need money to live the life they like while not building any or many units for sale.
glen

Dan,

I'd say go for it, build one. Post pics as you build. It be interesting to see.

I'm interested in building one to but don't have the time right now to do it.

Bernd

Bernd said:
Dan,

I'd say go for it, build one. Post pics as you build. It be interesting to see.

I'm interested in building one to but don't have the time right now to do it.

Bernd
I Agree go for it
Rob

IIRC a couple of folks here bought the plans and they were not real great.
Buyer beware.
Tin

Here's a video: youtube.com/watch?v=-bnWDI7P0uw

The comments may be interesting as well.

I think it would be a lousy engine. Where does the energy come from to keep bending those 'flex rods' And how long do you suppose they last with the constant flex?

Its hard to beat a simple piston and crank rod to a crankshaft for simplicity and max leverage. That thing driving the short crank arm with the flex rods is very low efficiency.

It is neat to look at all the moving parts, would be interesting at a show. But it will never be a useful engine.

Someone here had bought those plans and was not happy with what they
received. Just to see what they were I bought a set of the plans myself.

They are a little vague in some places but if you have a working knowledge
of engine mechanics the engine can be built from the plans.
I would not recommend it as a first build!

Rick

To all that has responded-

Thanks for the input. This will be my first project. I am currently designing and refining in AutoCAD. I am starting with the valve and working forward. Thanks again and I will be posting all dimensioned and sketches for any input. anyone who wants the drawings and what I have come up with can email me @ [email protected].

Dan

This engine / website has been discussed in two other threads on this forum.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2525.0

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2174.0

In my opinion it is a total scam (below I have copied my justification for this statement which I originally posted in one of the earlier threads).

IanN said:
Hi,

OK - this may be a bit of a rant but I need to voice my opinion about Mr Green's engine.

I've visited Mr Green's website a number of times, and each time I notice more errors and misleading statements.

I think it is a bad idea to buy these plans (in whatever form they may be) as it seems that the designer has some rather misguided ideas and a poor understanding of both mechanics and basic steam-engine concepts.

This website / engine design has been discussed in another thread in this forum (see under "Novel steam engine transmission to rotary motion idea"). I stated my initial opinions in that other thread.

In the website the designer makes a number of unsubstansiated claims that are worded in a way that seems to be deliberately misleading:

1) He claims that the engine will run on a couple of PSI with low steam consumption ("low volume" to quote the site) but you cannot change the laws of physics or thermodynamics - the available output power at the shaft will be very small and the motor will not be able to do any useful work under these contitions.

2) He talks about "efficiency" without defining how it is measured, and makes illogical statements such as "The output shaft continues rotation while the pistons stand still. The result is that the efficiency is increased dramatically." - I am lost for words......

3) He claims the design "eliminates the crank" yet the animated gif clearly shows that the flex rod connects to an off-set pin (a crank) on the flywheel.

4) He claims the design "eliminates side force" but the cyliders oscillate (and so are subject to side forces) and at the base of each cylinder there is a bearing tube to prevent the side forces twisting the pistons out of alignement within the cylinders (the equivilent of a crosshead in a normal engine).

5) He claims the design is a great step forward because it does away with the lower cylinder glands and seals (in other words it has single acting rather than double acting cylinders) as if this is a new concept.

6) He claims the advantages of low maintenance - but ignores the boiler maintenance required.

7) He lists benefits of:
- Costs little to build,
- Extremely lightweight,
- Very small profile for economy of space.
All of which ignore the requirement for a boiler - note the picture of the engine installed in a boat.

8 ) He states "The flex rod is nearly frictionless as the flexing is like a spring in which the energy required to flex it is returned in equal amounts." but if you look at the operation of the unit, one end of the flex rod is at a fixed point on the frame on the axis of the output shaft and the other on the (non-existant) crank - a fixed radial displacement from the axis of the output shaft. In other words the rod does not oscillate and bend from side to side, but twists maintaining a fixed curve. There is no "spring action" involved at all.

It just goes on and on.

For me, two of the most worrying issues are:

He dismisses problems of steam generation with the statement that "the boiler requirements are minimal". (If he applies the same level of engineering theory to his boiler design and construction as he shows in the rest of his website, I would imagine that most members of this group would take care to stay as far away from any of Mr Green's boilers as possible.)

Second,he claims that:

"The unique feature of the "Flex Rod Transmission" is that it produces an intermittent movement whereby the valve movement is stopped in its open and closed position during the power and exhaust strokes. This gives prolonged, fully opened valve timing."

Most steam engine designs go to great lengths to REDUCE the valve open times (through the use of variable "cut-off") to get maximum energy from the steam expansion - it seems the designer of this device does not understand this rather basic concept.

Given the points above, I suspect that any plans produced by the designer will have many errors and ommisions.

This sort of poor presentation of ideas and design gives engineering a bad name.

Finally, the design has been patented for five years, but Mr Green does not give any instances of satisfied commercial users on his website.......

Ian.

Ian.

OK Guys,

We seem to be going round in circles. Opinions have been stated and differences aired. The topic has been explored to exhaustion. Can we please move on and call it quits. ??? ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Bob-

My absolute appologizes about bring up such a sore subject. I joined this forum yesterday. Of all the research I have conducted, this actually caught my attention. It was different than what I was accustomed to seeing and thus it lead me to ask the question that was posed yesterday. Since all has been talked about this devise, could some one lead me to the type and design of the valve. (it was said it was a butterfly). I have played around with the idea and have laid it out in CAD, I want to know the interior design of the valve. And next time I will spend more than 24 hours reviewing everything about any and every web site.

Thanks-

Dan ( the new guy ;D

Dan: Don't sweat it. the search engine her is not always as helpful as one would like. We are all here to learn. Hang in and learn with us.
We old Folks( by that i mean the guys who have been on this board since it started) . Need to remember why this board was started and not pounce on newbies for asking a question that has come up a dozen times before.
And Dan and others do not get too upset if someone lets you know in a kind and respectful way that a topic has been discussed in the past. If the newbies are not treated with respect they will get reminded by the admins and or moderators how to act here.
Ian gave his very strong opinion about the engine in question I do not think it was directed toward you .
Nuff said
Tin Falcon
One of the Administrators.

Dan,

Apologies are/were not required from anybody, but thanks for your understanding. Your question was fair and reasonable it just sort of got lost in the merry go round.

I hope someone can help with the valve design.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob and others-

I wasnt trying to be an wipper snap! I have gone back a read through the postings, and to be honest, my lord!, there is way more to a hobby than I have ever seen!.! You guys make ART! I just came across the Greensteamengine, and I knew I had to learn what it took to make more than I knew. Thanks to everyone for responding.

Dan

Dan : I too saw your question as one wanting to learn.
Tin

Back