Anyone got a supplier for 3/8 inch square silver steel?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I've just called CES and they are out of stock and unsure when they will get any more.

I need 8 inches and it needs to be silver steel as I need to turn and slit the first 2 1/2 inches of it and then harden it.

They are the only supplier I know for square silver steel.

CES .. in UK ??

Gordon Bennett!, a long way from Oz !

If you're looking here in UK for silver steel , download the cat. from here

http://www.livesteammodels.co.uk/

Page 9 on pdf's

Only about 4 miles from me tho ;D

Dave BC

Tony,

Is this because you want to make some sort of lathe cutting tool, and the 3/8" part is so you can hold it in the toolpost?

If so, buy a length of 3/8" square keysteel (tough as old boot leather) and silver solder a length of normal silver steel into it. It will save having to turn the round part down if you can get the right sized round silver steel.

If that isn't what you want it for, then forget what I have rambled on about.

If you can't obtain square silver steel, then you could buy a length of 3/8" thick gauge plate, and cut a strip off lengthwise and mill the one side down until it is 3/8" square. Gauge plate is the flat version of silver steel and hardens using the same methods.

Blogs

It is actually to make a main spring winder for clocks.
The last 2 inches will be slit and tapered then filed flat with one side been tapped and the other a clearance hole for a threaded T bar so that the end of a clock spring can be slid into the slit and clamped down on. This will then allow you to wind up the spring so you can fit it in the barrel of the clock safely without having to worry about loosing a finger or an eye if the spring slips out.
Hope that makes sense.

Yes gauge plate is the backup option but as there is already a lot of work I need to do to make the main spring winder I'm trying to save myself more work.

I won't actually be starting to make this for a couple of months yet, I'm just going through the initial gathering of materials at the moment so when I'm ready to make it I won't be held up by missing some vital material.

I seem to spend almost as long trying to find suppliers as I do making items at the moment. :big:

Another option might be to go with a bit of larger size round stock, and mill it square - save a few shekels and a lot of time, I would imagine.

Which alloy is silver steel exactly...and how is it different than the old original tool steel(water hardening kind)?

Sorry, they are just the first two questions that popped in my head. :)

Kermit

Kermit said:
Which alloy is silver steel exactly...and how is it different than the old original tool steel(water hardening kind)?

Sorry, they are just the first two questions that popped in my head. :)

Kermit

Silver steel is what they call drill rod in the US (I think)

Basically I want a water hardening steel.

One that I can machine and slit then harden with water and temper.
Any will do.
I'm not fussy. :big:

HI Tmuir,

I got my silver steel from Prime steels in Malaga.

http://www.primesteels.biz/

Prime Steels
Unit 1/ Unit 10/ 5 Townsend St
Malaga WA 6090 -
ph: 08 92482666 fax: 08 9248277

[ame=http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8&q=prime+steels&fb=1&gl=au&hq=prime+steels&hnear=Perth+WA&cid=3571863638966892871&li=lmd&z=16&iwloc=A]http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8&q=prime+steels&fb=1&gl=au&hq=prime+steels&hnear=Perth+WA&cid=3571863638966892871&li=lmd&z=16&iwloc=A[/ame]

There shop front has Prime Trophies on it, they are slowly getting out of tool steel suppling and gave me a good price on the 14mm round and 6mm square silver steel I bought.
They also do cast iron bar and drillgauge plate (flat silver steel) among other things. I think all there silver steel is water hardening.

Cheers
Phil

Majorstrain said:
HI Tmuir,

I got my silver steel from Prime steels in Malaga.

Cheers
Phil

We have a winner.
I didn't know about this company.
They have one 500mm length left and probably won't get any more of it in.
It isn't cheap but atleast I won't have to pay postage on it.
I'm going to try and pick it up today before it goes.

Thanks a lot.
Tony

Got it, their last length and they won't be getting in any more.....

Latest posts

Back