Anybody recognize this milling attachment?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred

Reaction score
I know it's a lathe milling attachment, but as it's pretty clearly a shop-made product, does anyone know where the plans or design might have come from?

[Duh, picture attachments don't seem to be turned on here.. picture later. sorry]

shred said:
I know it's a lathe milling attachment, but as it's pretty clearly a shop-made product, does anyone know where the plans or design might have come from?

[Duh, picture attachments don't seem to be turned on here.. picture later. sorry]

Sorry about that, thanks for letting me know and I have now fixed the attachment settings .

Thanks... here's the pic.

MillSlideSm.jpg

Many years ago, Popular Mechanics (or Popular Science) had plans for one very similar to the one pictured. It would have been sometime in the 1960's or earlier.

Chuck

Shred,

Looking at the design, it just might be a one off.

It just doesn't look rigid or planned out enough to have a set of drawings made.
Maybe just a chappie knocking one up out of materials to hand to do the job. Just like we do on here at times.
What I can tell you, it was all made on a lathe.

John

cfellows said:
Many years ago, Popular Mechanics (or Popular Science) had plans for one very similar to the one pictured. It would have been sometime in the 1960's or earlier.

There's criticism of the popular science and popular mechanics designs - that a huge amount of it was by authors and designers skilled at creating content to sell magazines to arm chair engineers and less so at engineering. Some nice sketches, a quick mock up for the pick, and on to the next - creating product to be pursued in a wing-backs by the fire rather than the work bench. i can't swear to it but it does ring true when you look at some of the projects. There may be jewels, but it would be a shame to put the time and effort into making something who's engineering wasn't sound.

Shred, did you come across this or are you thinking of building one? I agree with John, the design doesn't look very rigid and was probably a one-off. might have worked, but I'd want something more robust for milling.

It came with my old Sheldon, but looked exactly like some sort of "build a milling attachment on your lathe!" article output.

It's built pretty beefy-- the vertical slide bars are 1.25" steel rods and the block the vice rides on is 2"x2"x4.25" and fitted well, but I can see how twist and such could creep into the design. Doesn't really matter since I don't plan to use it much, if at all, but I was curious. Thanks everybody.

I have a similar one, except this one is definitely manufactured.

mill attach b.jpg

Hi

Picked up one of these from Aldi yesterday for £8.95. The quality looks pretty good. I have a set that I have used on aluminium, they work well but I have trashed them. These claim to be able to cut steel, cast iron etc. and do look much better than the set I have which are aimed at woodworking.

DSC08867.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Back