Another simple device

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phelonius

Reaction score
This one I call the wiggler. It is a 4 cylinder oscillator. The first photo shows to the right, the control valve that does on, off, fast, slow, forward and reverse functions.
the second photo shows details of the main bearings.
bikepics-1551334-800.jpg

bikepics-1551337-800.jpg

bikepics-1551343-800.jpg

The number 2 and number 4 frame members also serve as manifolding for intake and exhaust.
The whole thing was made from 3/4" square brass stock and a bronze crankshaft. 1/2" square bars hold the thing together from side to side.

Phelonius

Elegance in simplicity. How wonderful! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Gonna share the innards of the speed & direction control thingie? :D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Very Neat - :bow:

Like Kludge, please show us the control innards. ???

Best Regards
Bob

Very neat !!

Videos of course when you get the chance !! :D

Mike

ChooChooMike said:
Very neat !!

Videos of course when you get the chance !! :D

Mike
I would really like to send videos but do not yet have that skill. I am using a Mac Book laptop. Any help would be welcome.
The controller is a 3/4 square brass bar with 3 holes bored lengthwise. One is for the inlet of pressure and one for the exhaust. The third hole has a 1/4" rod with a dogleg handle. ( See first photo and scroll right)
The rod is notched to route pressure and exhaust gasses. When I turn it one way the engine goes forward, turning further goes faster. Back to the mid point is off. Turn the other way,opens a different set of notches to route the gasses into the opposite manifolds.
The point of the engine was to have it fully controllable by a servo for RC boat use.
It had to be able to self start and reverse from valve control only. This was the first engine I ever built.
most of the labor went into milling out jigs to make the cylinders identicle, and to making a crank with 4 throws. The first crank ruined a journal when I first ran it.
The second crank was completed and the engine chucked into the Logan lathe that I built it on. I lubed it and let the lathe turn at about 8o rpm for about 30 minutes. checked it and did that again. I then opened all the bearings and cleaned them and relubed it and put it back into the lathe. I hooked up the pressure and turned the valve. The little engine turned the lathe at about 100 rpm with 110 psi intake press.
1/2" bore X 1" stroke.

Phelonius

Very nice Phelonius.
I may have to play with some of your neat ideas a bit this year.
Gail in NM,USA

My next one will have an overhead set of rotary valves. I am ready to build but cannot find any tiny sprockets and chain to turn the valves.

Phelonius

Although it does not have quite the "neat" factor, small timing belts work well and are being used a lot on model internal combustion engines.
I think the smallest standard is the MXL size which is 0.08 inch pitch. Lots of standard lengths and pulley sized available also.

If you can't find a pulley with the specs you want, they are easy to make.
Gail in NM,USA

Back