Another New Kid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_D

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile, as most of us do at the beginning.

Currently (trying) farming in Manitoba, Canada. North of Brandon for those that know the area.

I have an interest in all things mechanical.
Haven't decided for sure on building an engine yet, but then again, some of your pics are darned enticing! :bow:

Andrew

Andrew,

Welcome to the club. Don't bother trying to decide to do an engine or not. Decide which one you ARE going to do. There isn't many feelings that compare to firing up an engine for the first time and seeing it run.

Eric

Welcome Andrew,

I say the same as Brass Machine, pick an easy one if you've never done one and have at it. Also if you need help don't be afraid to ask. Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answer some times.

I have one request though. Could you guys up there quite sending down all that cold air. :big: :big: :big:

Regards,
Bernd

Andrew,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Forecast is +41 C here tomorrow, a little of your cold air would be nice.

Best Regards
Bob

It's not bad here temp-wise right now - only about -20oC ;)
About a week and a half ago it was around -40o - note that I didn't specify C or F?? They meet at -40! :eek:
It least this cold it doesn't snow much - the guys in BC had quite a bit before Christmas, now they have rain and are getting mud slides - I'll take flat prairie and -30 over that!

Andrew

Welcome to HMEM Andrew!

I have a stepson in Kelowna BC.
At the present moment I'd trade him for the weather there.
THAT doesn't happen often! ;)

Rick

G'day and welcome Andrew
i have a sister in Manitoba somewhere

I'll get there one day ( summer time eh)

cheers

jack

Welcome. I am a newbie also. This is a great site. I 2nd the advise given above. Pick one and start making it. I started machining my first engine the other day. It's a great feeling when you complete your first part. I can't wait to finish the rest of the parts and assemble it.

Andrew,

Glad to have you join us!

I encourage you to start making an engine. It's a great way to learn. I actually found it an ideal way to get used to making a few mistakes along the way javascript:void(0);

Here's a site a lot of folks use to get started with some simple (some more than others) engines.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

Keep us posted on your progress.

---TinkerJohn---

Welcome Andrew---And yes, I do know the area. I spent the winter of 1964 stationed at Rivers, Manitoba---not too far from where you are. You will enjoy this forum. There are a lot of interesting and helpfull people on it.--Brian

Brian Rupnow said:
Welcome Andrew---And yes, I do know the area. I spent the winter of 1964 stationed at Rivers, Manitoba

Ahhh, the old air base I presume? You probably won't be impressed to see it now...

Many of the buildings have been gutted and stripped. As you drive in the main gates heading south towards what used to be the old firehall, there are three large pig barns on the west side. South of the firehall is a 80 foot long scale to weigh trucks coming and going. Fertilizer is stored in the big (low) hanger to the east of the firehall. Taking the runway to the west of the firehall and then north is the BIG arch hanger. It also stores fertilizer. They rail the fertilizer in during the winter and then truck it out to the farmers in the spring...I've trucked many loads out of there. Each hanger holds 12,000 - 15,000 metric tonnes of fertilizer.

Andrew

Welcome to HMEM Andrew, this is the best and friendliest forum out there.

Tim

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the HMEM. I agree with you about mechanical. The more gears, the better.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back