Another Knucklehead, built via castings, as a Draw-Tech design, upscaled

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foketry

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
After seeing the construction done by Mayhugh, I also decided to build this interesting engine in a slightly larger scale.
The pistons of my engine will be 36 mm instead of 1.063 inch (27mm) and everything else will consequently be increased by the same proportion.
I have followed and studied all of Terry's posts, whose technique and precision I admire and I hope to obtain a well-functioning engine like his.
I also asked Terry for some 3D drawings and he kindly provided me with some ,I started from these drawings
After the 18-cylinder Isotta Fraschini, I returned to simpler engines, just 2 cylinders, even if Terry writes that it is not that simple

To make aluminum castings the first step is the 3D drawing of the finished part, then I eliminate all the holes and machining, add the allowance in the milled or turned areas, add an increase that takes into account the aluminum shrinkage .

Finished right crankcase

Carter destro.jpg

drawing for casting mold

Carter destro fusione.jpg

3D printed mold with parting powder

IMG_5685.jpg

I generally paint the mold to obtain smoother surfaces but in this one I didn't paint

the sandblasted casting

IMG_5183.jpg

Back