Another Coles Small Hit-n-Miss...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Fellow Coles Hit and Misser, Welcome. It's a nice engine to build, mine as you probably notice is almost ready for the bookcase :big: Lots of good folks here!
Tony

Looking good! and looking foward to more posts.

Wally,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Nice start on your Coles H&M.

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to HMEM Wally.

Great looking work to date there!
Please keep us posted on the progress.

Rick

Hello Wally, and welcome wEc1. How did you arrive at getting the rough base casting square to your steel machine plate scratch.gif ? Thanks for all of the good pictures of your work in progress.

BC1
Jim

Hello - thanks for your interest.

I can't say I came up with a precise way to do it - I think it's more like, once you start, the position chosen BECOMES square to the plate.

That being said, I used the V-shaped "crotch" in front of the bearing cap pads and made it perpendicular to the side of the plate.

Thanks,
Wally

Managed to get some time to machine the piston today. Made a little change to the naming of the pages too - the link in my first post changed - I'll see if I can edit that one. The piston sequence is at:

http://www.wallyblackburn.com/Site/Hit-n-Miss_Piston.html

Is cast iron the only choice for the cylinder liner? I just realized that Coles sent me a piece of 7/8" steel of some kind rather than the cast iron for the liner. Not really practical to request a replacement since I bought the casting kit in 2004.

Thanks all,
Wally

Hiya Wally, I'm watching your progress on this engine with interest. Would it not have been easier to save the piston until the cylinder liner had been bored and fit it at that time? I understand that this engine will have a set of cast iron rings but still it seems like now you are stuck with the task of matching the bore to the piston diameter. I had my casting sets out for a while a few days ago and played machinist in my mind (?) for a while and then wrapped them all back up and put them away. I still have an engine that is not finished on the bottom shelf as it is.

BC1
Jim

Hmmm, I am thinking the other way around I guess. Since the cylinder gets honed, it will be easier to fit IT to the existing piston. But, I do see your point - turning round stock to size is pretty easy. Sort of a "six one, half-dozen the other" deal, I suppose. I am lucky to have some great indexable boring bars that I picked up at an auction. Maybe that's why I am looking at the boring operations as easy...

I'm still wondering if I can make the cylinder out of steel rather than cast iron, given that I have steel on-hand and would have to order some cast iron.

Thanks,
Wally

Haven't had a chance to update the site for a few days. Will try to get to it tonight. I abandoned making the crank out of HRS (I'll explain on site) and went with a put-together-from-pieces one...

Thanks,
Wally

Latest posts

Back