An interesting Wall Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWHART

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Whilst visiting an industrial museum today we came across this interesting wall engine it was hang from a roof girder and was driving a few old machines by line shafting, it was coupled up to air pipes so I guess its a runner.

Its about 24" by 18" in size couldn't see any makers name.

IMG_0176.jpg

These are the machine it was driving. (not the bike)

IMG_0173.jpg

This look like an old Drumond lathe.

IMG_0175.jpg

And her something too drool over Triumph Tiger Cub. I think.

IMG_0174.jpg

Some more shots of the engine :- interesting how the crank is extended out with that cross head arrangement and slide ways.

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

I bet your tempted with this one Tel :big:

Cheers

Stew

Great photos Stew, thanks for posting. I agree, this one has Tel's name all over it ;D

Cheers,
Phil

I bet your tempted with this one Tel big laugh

Too right I am Stew, but I gotta resist, gotta resist, gotta resist, gotta .......

Nice display, but do them a favor and tell them that the segmented belt on the engine doesn't belong there.

I agree with you on that one Stan

Stew

Wow a return connecting rod engine. The only other application of this type of engine I have seen is early Naval steam ships. The aiming point for a broadside salvo was the water line, so all the main propulsion machinery had to be below that point and very compact.

A full size example of the Naval version is at the US Merchant Marine Academy. http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/5539.pdf

Dan

Latest posts

Back