Aluminium body for Elmer's Fancy - will it work?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldb

Reaction score
Question says it all - I've pretty much decided I'd like to build a little Fancy next, but to a much higher finish level than the little rocker I did.

From past experience (not model building related), I know I can get a nice finish in aluminium, while the Fancy's plans calls for a free-machining steel body.

So question is - pretty much - Will an Al body work for this engine ? - Cylinder will be brass.
Thanks!
Arnold

Hi Arnold,

Just noticed nobody replied to this for you.
I had an interest in the question also as when I saw the wobbler "Lucy" made from plastic I wanted to build one. Not finding any plastic in the required thickness I decided on aluminium. My thought was that if something made of plastic will work then surely alluminium would. It may not last long but I don't intend to run it for hours on end anyway.
Just had a thought that you were asking because you wish to use steam and were concerned about the expansion difference.
If this was no help at all at least the subject will be seen again and you may get an answer from someone who knows what they are talking about :big:

Regards
Peter.

Arnold,

I believe you will be fine using aluminum for the body. However, Peter raises some legitimate concerns - aluminum will wear out faster and there will be some expansion factor if you will use steam. Even with those these things in mind, I still believe you will be alright.

I built Elmer's "Tiny" engine and used an aluminum body. It looks very nice and performs well. I'll attach a video.

Dan

View attachment Movie.wmv

Thanks Peter & Dan - much appreciated!

I don't think I will be running on steam for quite a while yet; only compressed air.

My biggest concern was actually whether the combination of aluminium body & brass cylinder would work without galling; when I searched the site yesterday, I could not find an answer... Silly me; a couple of minutes ago I searched on "aluminum" instead of aluminium & got plenty answers :-[

Thanks for the video Dan - lovely little Tiny; i't on my to-do list as well
Oh yes: wEc1 !

Regards, Arnold

I have a vertical wobbler with an aluminum body and cylinder. Runs fine with just the tiniest drop of oil. The surfaces don't have enough pressure on them to cause any problems.

Mo deller said:
Wu hooo!!! Have you finished it yet Arnold? ;D
Nope - haven't even started yet, except for converting measurements on the plans to metric and checking if I have the needed supplies & tools.
I'll see how far I get with it this weekend but won't rush it, even though I'm itching to get it made ;D .
Want to make this one to as high a standard of finish as I can; in honour of it's name ;)
Will post build pics as I go along though :)
Regards, Arnold

I used an aluminum body/cylinder with a brass piston on my most recent build of a hit and miss engine based on Chuck Fellows horizontal. It works fine.--You won't have any problems doing that.---Brian

Thanks Brian - Much appreciated!
Kind Regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back