Almost tool-less mini-lathe change gears

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winklmj

Reaction score
I saw the idea for this somewhere else but I searched and searched and couldn't find where. So it's not my original idea but it does work:

Parts:
IMG_3150.jpg

The "knurled knobs" are made from a piece of splined shaft I got from the scrappy. The grip is pretty good.

How the B and C shaft is assembled:
IMG_3161.jpg

With the B and C Gears:
IMG_3160.jpg

On the adjusting bracket:
IMG_3167.jpg

Almost tool-less. Used to need 2 different size hex keys and 2 different wrenches. Now down to just one wrench:
IMG_3144.jpg

Need to do something with the nut on the adjusting-stud at the very bottom and I won't need that last wrench either:
IMG_3143.jpg

I've seen it aswell, maybe gadgetbuilder.com?

The "knurled knobs" are made from a piece of splined shaft I got from the scrappy.
HMM those knobs look aluminum. What material are they?? the good industrial supply houses sell gear blank rod in various material.
IIRC in comes in foot lengths of a specified gear tooth then it is jut a matter of machining the hub drilling reaming and parting off.
it almost looks like the knobs are made frime timing gear blank nice to have if you ever do cnc.
Knurling is a basic skill taught in basic machining classes and you would do to learn it. I would recommend a scissors knurl LittleMachineShop.com carries them as well as having free plans available.

knurler.jpg

http://littlemachineshop.com/Projects/Drawings/KnurlerParts.pdf
I know this is a hobby for most of us so limited time and therefore only so much time ansd money to learn new skills and aqure new tooling.
Nice writeup on the QC gear knobs.
Tin

Latest posts

Back