Alibre Version12

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LADmachining

Reaction score
Is anybody running the latest version of Alibre Design?

I am running Windows 7, so I have to use this version. I have downloaded and used the trial, but the software seems to be a bit temperamental, throwing up exception errors every now and again. Has anybody else experienced any issues with version 12?

There is a special offer at the moment - latest version of £150 ($190 ish). I have been impressed with the software when it works, but I don't want to take the plunge and be lumbered with a problem piece of software that I have to purchase updates for to get it to work properly.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Anthony

I have been running it for about a week now and have done several drawings. This is on the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Is your error repeatable? If it is and you want to you can send me your drawing and I will try to see if I can repeat it.

Thanks for your reply.

This also on Win7 64 bit. The error seems to happen randomly, on whatever drawing I am working on. I am just working through some of the on-line tutorials at the moment.

I haven't had a chance to test the software again since my post, but thinking about it, I wonder if it is something to do with putting the machine into standby with Alibre running. Will have to test it again from a fresh restart...

Anthony

I just took the plunge last week, and I'm still working through the tutorials.

I have seen the exception error you mentioned, but not in the last few days. The only difference being, I had the online tutorial running at the same time the first few days and haven't been using that since then. Perhaps...?

Also running the 64 bit windows 7

Kermit

fellows, my friend the older retired machinist wife wants to get the program and me try to learn it so his machines that have no drawings can be used by others someday, she wants to pay for the program so I can do the drawings, I don't know enough about it to advise her, is it worth what ever they are asking for the program, thanks for the help, Lathe Nut

Lathe Nut

I have about 1000$ invested in Alibre. I like it very much. You can draw various parts and assemble them and check for interference.
Will you be working from sketches or will you be measuring and doing drawings from those measurment.

I believe you can still download a free copy of the program and work with it to see if you like it. They only limit the number of parts that can be put into an assembly I do believe.

You do have to get your head around working with solids. I just look at as using a lathe or mill on your part removing what you don't want to be there so you can see the part you want.

Try it you'll like it

Dave

I have the $ 99.00 version of version 11 . I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve. but once you get a part modeled the drawings are almost automatic.
IIRC the try before you buy is fully functional and then becomes crippleware after 30 days also the crippleware does not transfer the model to a drawing pretty much useless. except for learning to model with the program.
looking at the web site the current personal edition is $99.00. If you have time to learn the program and redraw or draw your friends engines I would say go for it. This program used to sell for $999.99 so at 10 percent of the original price a good deal.
Tin

Thanks fellows for the quick response, I will have to take each engine apart and measure the parts then draw them, he is a Master Machinist and a great mechanic, he does not draw or even sketch anything, what a art to be lost, would put them on this page for free down load and might be able to sell some of the more complicated plans for just a few dollars someday to help her out in case something happens to him, she said the program is right at $200.00 guess that is a good deal then, really hate to tell her that I could do it and not be able to but guess after a few hundred mistakes I could get it

This is my first post here, I've been lurking for a time and finally something that I can speak to has come along. :big:

I've been using Alibre for a couple of years and really like it, as has been mentioned it has a little bit of learning curve, as does all software, but once you "get it",, it goes along pretty well. The main thing is to jump in and practice, which can be a bit frustrating, but if you follow along with the various tutorials, and go to the web forum, and follow along on some of the problem solving, it will all become clear.

The first thing you need to do is not worry about getting everything accurate right out the chute,, the work flow is such that you draw a sketch, a general idea of the shape you working toward and then by using the tools you refine it,, by dimensions, restraints and the actual "building tools", which by that I mean extrudes and cuts. For instance you want to build a cube,, you first pick a plane, you then sketch a square, at this point you define the side lengths. Then you extrude to a given length. Now lets say you want a hole cut through ,,, you pick a face,,, enter sketch mode,, draw a circle, then define the size, then you extrude cut to a depth or clear through.

Fast and dirty explanation, but perhaps once you get the software and start using it, it will make more sense. If I can be of any help, I sure will give it a shot, though I am far from a "guru". I can muddle my way along though and as I say, have been enjoying the program for a few years now.

best regards
stevemac

stevemac, thanks for the help, well It looks like she is going to buy the program and I am going to try, going to pick it up this Wednesday and see if I can do something simple, I like to learn so this might be a real learning experience, thanks all for the help, might post some question when I get it, its the version 12 Expert, thanks again, Lathe Nut

In the most recent Alibre newsletter they announced a new book on Getting started. I ordered it and it arrived yesterday. Ive now spent just an hour or so with it, but I thinks its a good way to get started.

The book is written by an Alibre training guy and has a lot of good tips.

The web site for the book is http://www.learn3dcad.com/

It is distributed by lulu.com, a print on demand service and my copy arrived in exactly one week.

Alilbre is a good program and well worth learning.

You mentioned $200 for Alibre 12 Expert. That's a heck of a deal. I'm seeing $1199 on Alibre's site for Expert. Pro is $599. The Pro version would way more than be adequate for the work you are planning to do.

Actually the Personal Edition would probably do the job just fine, except that Allibre has removed some of the 2D tools, such as inserting section views in the 2D drawings.

I don't mean to intrude, but your friend may have misread the pricing unless she has some very special offer.

I'm running the Design level of the software.

Regards,

Chuck

RonGinger said:
In the most recent Alibre newsletter they announced a new book on Getting started. I ordered it and it arrived yesterday. Ive now spent just an hour or so with it, but I thinks its a good way to get started.

The book is written by an Alibre training guy and has a lot of good tips.

The web site for the book is http://www.learn3dcad.com/

It is distributed by lulu.com, a print on demand service and my copy arrived in exactly one week.

Ron thanks for tip on learn3dcad. I am downloading the pdf to my driod right now.

RonGinger, thanks for the look into it.

kuhncw, Maybe she is not sure on what the fellow told her, or it might be a specail, I am suppose pick up the CD and book she has today (May 26) and see what it really is.

Thanks all of you for the help, Lathe Nut

I just bought the download version and I am getting it now. I will let you all know what I think about it once I get a chance to look over the book.

I bought the paper version, in the spiral bound format. Its a big book, 8 1/2x11 pages and over 400 pages, so the spiral is nice to allow keeping it open to a page.

There are examples to try and there are problems to work. Ive found it clear and have already picked up several points I didnt know.

Im about 1/3 through it and Im very happy with the book..

I started with BobCad and that's all I'll say about that.

I just ordered an integrated 4th axis from Tormach and needed to update my software. The Tormach crew recommends Alibre for CAD and SprutCam for CAM. They think this is the most cost effective route to end up with 4th axis and lathe capability. I'm following their advice and have bought both software packages from them.

I downloaded the book mentioned here and am thoroughly enjoying Alibre. I have it loaded on a high end Windows XP 64 box and a low end Vista 64 laptop. Alibre runs fine on either.

remout said:
I started with BobCad and that's all I'll say about that.

I just ordered an integrated 4th axis from Tormach and needed to update my software. The Tormach crew recommends Alibre for CAD and SprutCam for CAM. They think this is the most cost effective route to end up with 4th axis and lathe capability. I'm following their advice and have bought both software packages from them.

I downloaded the book mentioned here and am thoroughly enjoying Alibre. I have it loaded on a high end Windows XP 64 box and a low end Vista 64 laptop. Alibre runs fine on either.
I'm still wrestling Bobcad since mine came with 4th axis and as you know, 4-axis gets expensive fast with CAM, but sooner or later it's going to make me throw down the $ for SprutCam and Alibre. You might also want to consider something simpler like Sheetcam for 2.5D parts. Most of the people I know using Sprut have something like that for simple parts.

Just paid for the download of the book, got the reciept by email from Lulu but no link ??

Does it come later by email ?

John S.

Latest posts

Back