Alba 1A Restoration

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by joco-nz, Sep 21, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

Tags:
  1. Sep 21, 2019 #1

joco-nz

joco-nz

joco-nz

It's finally arrived! The new-to-me Alba 1A Shaper. This is my little restoration project that I plan to beetle away at over the coming months.

Its not going to be a fast project as I also have to completely reorganise my home shop to make way for a new Lathe. I decided to take the plunge and do the garage workshop as I should have done it not the compromise it currently was.

Anyway, some pics of the little lady as she is, coming home for the first time. I have seen her running. She could be just cleaned up for rust and ready to rock but I want to do a good a paint job as well. Maybe a nice classic machine grey. Something not so dark looking but shiny and "classic".

Any advice on these machines gratefully received.

General overview pics - while there is obviously rusty and some crappy paint things are not looking too bad. The table box is very clean with no dings. Even have the original handle and feed ratchet system. All the knobs are in place and none of the plastic parts have been broken or damaged.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sep 21, 2019 #2

joco-nz

joco-nz

joco-nz

Some specifics:
    The feed system needs some love and its so painted and messy its hard to tell if there are any graduation collars in amongst it all. Not the end of world as they can be made or a magnetic backed indicator can be added in. Something I will probably end up doing anyway. I have included a pic of the serial number in case someone can help with how I would identify the age of this wee machine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The head moves ver smoothly even though it looks a bit worse for wear. The clapper seems to have no sideways movement that I can detect. When its seated flat there is no wiggle at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motor looks to be original as well. I'm probably going to power this with a 230V-1ph to 380v-3ph inverter. I have used that approach successfully on the mill. The other advantage is that I can improve the speed range and get some very slow cutting speeds. Worse case is I might need to add a fan in the case to get enough air flow over the motor.
    [​IMG]

The bull gear and the rocker/eccentric setup looks to be in very good condition.
    [​IMG]

Belt has seen better days and will need to be replaced but the clutch system and belt wheels all look to be in good condition.
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    J.

3. Sep 23, 2019 #3

trlvn

trlvn

trlvn

4. Sep 23, 2019 #4

joco-nz

joco-nz

joco-nz

Thanks Craig. Youtube can be a great asset. I have watched Everett’s restoration videos several times now. There is also a chap about 1.5 hrs drive from where I live who also did a 1A restoration. He’s Neil9 on youtube.

Between these chaps and others I have looked at I have some ideas of areas to check.

Plan is to pull it all apart to clean, check for damage, repair as needed, paint parts to be painted and then put it all together again. Phew - this going to be some work.