Airline size

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
Hi guys

I want to get my compressor set up a bit more organised rather than use the 15 adapter arrangement I have cobbled together at the moment. Rather than have half a dozen different sets of hoses etc I want to try and keep it down to 2 sizes ie 10mm id for the air tools etc but not sure what size to use for running models, a future drip coolant system etc

Is there a min or max sizes that work best with the models was thinking 6mm od/4mm id would be about right ?

Also don't suppose anybody has built a coolant system like the one below and could comment on the hose sizes

http://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83201&view=next

Thanks

Jim

With any air system you have to consider volume required and distance from source. The models that will run on human breath would run on a .062" id hose 20' long while some of the bigger, more air demand models require larger hose.

I have a small oiless compressor under the bench that I use for models. I have about 5' of .250" id hose with a pressure regulator on the end that I set on the bench. From the regulator I use .125" id plastic tubing to the model. This has worked well for running the models in the shop with the exception of the large Tesla turbine.

If you are planning something for a show display there have been several threads on this board for manifolds to run multiple models.

Start off with some sort of QD connectors and go from there.
94024.gif

for my engines at shows I thread a hose into a 1/4 npt fitting then a qd to a regulator then 1/4 aquarium hose to a manifold then more aquarium tube to a fitting on each engine.
I recently got one of theses it uses 3/8 tube between the regulator and manifold.
SSairmanefolds1.jpg

works nice
Hope this helps
Tin

:D thought this thread was about the size of airplanes and/or the luggage you can carry on Rof}

ChooChooMike said:
:D thought this thread was about the size of airplanes and/or the luggage you can carry on Rof}
Nah, then I'd have to post my story about the carry-on-bag full of Boeing Surplus Aluminum blocks and the very surprised gate agent ;)

Back