Advanced Beginners Tool Box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, a variable rate pwr feed was the next thing I did after readouts. I've got an XJ9512 and had to make my own out of a 12 volt drill. Works very well.
Needed the dro's cuz the Y axis dial has 75 divisions but one rev is .062", Wasn't gonna spend all my time using an indicator and jo blocks.

Surface plates are relatively cheap if you get the imports but beware shipping can cost you I picked up mine at the grizzly show room I have a 12 x 18 the current price is $45 but you can go twice as big for $10 more but almost 160 lbls so harder to move and takes up twice the bench space. so choices choices.

Air Force policy is double eye protection from grinding. So my shop has face shields.
I do not think of safety glasses as something for the tool boxes but something I wear everyday just like a pair of pants a shirt or work boots.

Tin

Hi Tin Falcon,

Still trying hard to justify having a real good Surface Plate. The weight and the space required plus must be not too heavy to move around. May have to reorganise work table to get more free space w/o the clutter. May DIY tool cabinet with multi drawers. Of late,I am having bad memory where I last place a tool such as the chuck key.

I don't know that all the tools I have are must have but rather acquired over time. I have a set of Mitatoyo dial bore gauge I got at a pawn shop. Two 15 X 18 cast iron surface plates from a friend who's die shop was putting them in the scrap bin. I took one to work! I have an Interapid indicator, and a 0-1 thread mike from the NAMES shows over the years. much that I intended to use but haven't. Then there are the the tools that I didn't even ask for, and this may be a separate thread. I have been tossing this about in my head for months wanting to share what a great honor was bestowed upon me. I have a good friend who being retired decided he had to many hobbies and sold off his shop equipment, I bought his Enco 12 X 36 gear head lathe. I still kick myself for passing on the B&S surface grinder. This all happened 2005-7, fast forward to this year he and his wife sold their house and moved into a retirement community. He says to me I have a couple of boxes of stuff from my shop you can have. So we make arrangements for the exchange and then when I go home to look at it I am floored. Last Word indicator, telescoping gauge, adjustable parallel set all the same brand, B&S 2" and 3" micrometers, Mitatoyo 10" dial height gauge, I have a list of 10 - 15 items given to me. I've been sitting on this for some time now because it's not just something you blab out. Has anyone else had this sort of experience?
Art

Latest posts

Back