Acrylic steam (air) engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnesrickw

Reaction score
Done the easy parts, but the valve type is always a tough vision for me. I'm a new, learning machinist. Apologies to real machinist for using the word loosely. I'm looking for ideas that would work in acrylic?

I don't know why the pictures are inverted...

image.jpg

I'm a new, learning machinist. Apologies to real machinist
No apologies needed. We are all here to learn.
I will not go into a definition of a real machinist . A definition that is different things to different machinists to say the least.

I'm looking for ideas that would work in acrylic?

IMHO with few exceptions any model engine that will run on compressed air can be built in a acrylic version. I would not attempt a double or triple expansion they pretty much need steam . You would need to run it on one cylinder with air.

Also with few exceptions like crank shaft crank disk and pins most engine parts can be made of acrylic . I like mixing in Corian for bases and even other parts. Corian is a opaque acrylic cousin if you will.

. If you are familiar with working with acrylic you are ahead in the game.

the valve type is always a tough vision for me
The beauty of clear acrylic you can see how the valve and piston move and the relationship.
My kids the first born LUCY

thumb2_lucy_2.JPG

Seymour my version of the PMR vertical oscillator.

seymour4.JPG

And my see through version of the McCabe runner

we call her Claire

thumb2_Claire_3a.JPG

I can breathe life into her she will run on breathe power.

And last but not least Rosey . My wife's vision of an engine. the ladies love her.

Rosie_2.JPG

And yes I have built a few ones in metal as well.

Your picture is now right side up.

Tin

Done the easy parts, but the valve type is always a tough vision for me.

Are you building this from a plan set or just building it ? are you at a loss for how to make a valve? Will this engine be single acting or double acting?

Tin

Plans require planning and following and I can't seem to do either, so just building as I see fit. I considered a double acting because of the low mass flywheel. It is not shown in this photo but there is an eccentric on the arm for the valve. Building this with a Taig lathe only. Just looking for simple.

I started with acrylic because it is usually cheaper than aluminum. I make many parts several times. I find changing clearance angles, and a finer honing on the tools helps with the cut. Keeping heat down seems to be critical.

Latest posts

Back