A TEST FOR OLDER KIDS

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of comics...

When I was a kid, I lived on an Army base overseas (Germany in this case).
Every Saturday I'd gather up a bunch of comics and go house to house asking if there was another kid who'd want to trade. (As you can imagine...there were many of us.)

We'd sit on the threshold and trade and then I'd go to the next house. I usually ended up with a stack of new comics to read until the next Saturday.

My favorite was 'Sgt. Rock'. Anyone remember that one? I also enjoyed the goodies in back...'1001 Things Free'...'X-Ray Glasses'...etc.

Reminds me of a little story...

In 10th grade (1969) I was in Missouri playing chess with another student. We got to talking. Wow...we were both in France (1963...see my avatar) at the same time. Wow...we were both in Verdun. Wow...we were both in the same den pack. He could remember the den mother (my Mom). I went home, pulled out a picture of the pack...and there he was.

Not Jack Armstrong, (the all-American boy!!!)

The writing team of Burtt and Moore had created Captain Midnight, and in 1942 got together with Albert Aley to do a radio adventure based on the popular All-American comics star, Hop Harrigan. Hop Harrigan Radio Show. Harrigan is "America's Ace of the Airwaves," and he gets a lot of flying time fighting evil, and as the war developed, Hop in his radio adventures was in the thick of the real battles that were raging overseas. His flying buddy Tank Tinker is along for the ride and Hop actually is allowed a girlfriend, Gail Nolan, played by Mitzi Gould. Chester Stratton plays Hop, and Tank's role was first Ken Lynch, then Jackson Beck.

hopharrigan2.gif

His business card read: "Have gun. Will travel."....... but what was the last line on the card?

Steve

BigB....
The bottom line read "Wire Paladin".

I just received a new test in an email.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2.Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8 Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.
(there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H greenstamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I remembered 19 of them. ::)

Rick

Older than the world itself ??? ??? :big: :big: :big: :big:

I do not remember the Packards or the "Studdies" but I never really paid that much attention to cars as a kid in the first place. (like a lot of other things) ;D

Guess that makes me old as dirt too! but not as old as MK. Rof}

BC1
Jim

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm so old that I lit the fuse on the Big Bang.

Rake
The first 2 I don't remember were

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2.Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

After that I remember all of them. Wasn't it crazy how we would sit and watch a black and white test pattern because it was so new and exciting. :bow:

Marv, just read your post. Now I am going to have to go re-figure my Big Bang Theory. :big: :big:

Thanks for posting that Rick.

Cheers Don :) *beer*

Hmmm.... I remember 18 of those - I suspect that I don't remember the rest 'cos some are more or less unique to the US.

dsquire said:
Wasn't it crazy how we would sit and watch a black and white test pattern because it was so new and exciting.

It was far more entertaining than half the programs that replaced it.

I didn't know Blackjack Gum but I DID have a Buck Rodgers Decoder ring. BTW, the wax bottles with flavored water were called "Nips"

Jerry

20 - No point saying any more. ::) :-X

Best Regards
Bob

mklotz said:
It was far more entertaining than half the programs that replaced it.

You have that exactly right Marv. I haven't had the TV on but once in the last 3 months and that was because I had company and they wanted to watch something. The funny part about it is, i don't even miss it. The few shows that I like I can download and watch without commercials and I don't get to hear all that bad news every night at 6 and 11.

Cheers *beer* *beer*

Don

dsquire said:
Wasn't it crazy how we would sit and watch a black and white test pattern because it was so new and exciting.

It was the games played to the light of the test pattern that were fun. ;D

I got 22.

Sigh.

24. Couldn't remember the gum. Nuff said.

Ron

All but two. Don't remember news reels before the movie, at all. Maybe I never got to the theater on time. I know what Howdy Doody is, but don't remember ever seeing it.

We really only did have three TV channels. One day when I was home sick from school, I found out my mom watched Jack LaLanne on TV every day.

Our TV was a great big thing, and dad was always working on it, even when it was new. If he wasn't working on the TV, he was up on the roof turning the aerial. I don't know if the poor guy ever got to watch it!

Dean

Latest posts

Back