Constructing a meths burner for a locomotive.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Bird

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting to the end of putting together a Mamod locomotive from bits and pieces that I had. To complete the project a burner is needed. A meths burner will be made first and later possibly a gas burner.

The design I use has evolved over a number of years, starting when garden railways often used rusty tin plate track and derailments were common! The design tries to minimise flame ups if the model fell over, if you could get to it quick enough that is. Except for the meths tank which is a square sectioned brass tube the remaining materials are K&S products. For most model locomotive I usually fold the tanks up from sheet but the heavier brass tube helps to balance the nose heaviness of a Mamod.

Materials.

The tank spot drilled for the filler tube, vent tube and overflow tube.

Test fitting of pipes and securing thread.

Arrangement of tubes in tank the filler tube goes to the bottom of the tank so the tank can be drained or suck back if too much meths is pumped in.

End caps made slightly over size.

First end cap solder from the side out.

The other end cap has to be soldered from the out side using a flattened silver solder rod.

Soldered tank cleaned up.

Tubes and spacer soldered in place.

Test fitting.

Burner tubes and supply pipe next.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

Further work on the meths burner has been slowed down. My brother visited the shed to pick up some bits and I managed to pack the completed meths tank with them! It will not be returned until Monday when we will be in London for the birth of our latest granddaughter, so it will be some time before the burner is finished.

Work however has continued on the burners themselves. I am trying a new way of constructing them. Previously the wick tubes were soldered to their bases and then turned to make the bases round, this done the completed wick tubes were soldered to their supply tube. To turn the softened tube it had to be mounted on a wooden mandrel to stop it being crushed by the action of the lathes chuck.

The way that the new burner was made removes the problem of having to turn the wick holders and the whole burner, wick holders and supply tube is soldered in one go and saves a lot of time.

Before the meths tank disappeared it was fitted into the models chassis, as the model is made from bits and pieces and the rear buffer beam had been cut back so the tank couldn't be fitted in the usual way. On previous burners the front end of the burner was held by the front flame guard which was sprung between the frames. The new burner will be held at the front by a permanent spacer between the frames.

Photographs which I hope explain the construction of the burner.

01. My usual way of securing the tank between the frames.

02. Because of modified buffer beam new system of securing the tank between the frames.

03. Checking the fit of the burner meths supply tube. Note frame spacer to hold the front end.

Tank disappears so on with the wick holders and their supply tube.

04. Wick tubes mounted on wooden plug for centre punching.

05. One side of tube drilled while still on plug.

06. Other side of tube drilled with plug removed.

07. Under size holes broached to take meths supply tube.

08. End of tube machined until it almost breaks into hole and tube cut to length.

09. Tubes test fitted to supply pipe. Extra tube made in case of mishaps.

10. Making the small feed holes using a gramophone needle. Drilling holes in a thin wall tube can be difficult unless they are plugged and the holes necessary need only to be small.

11. Soldering in one operation. The wick tubes are threaded onto thier supple tube and placed on a continuous base plate. A couple of pieces of silver solder along with some flux are placed in the tubes.

12. The burner is placed on the hearth and heated.

13/14/15. The results.

Well that's it for a bit until the tank is returned and we come back from far away places.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

The meths tank has returned and has been hard soldered to the burner feed tube which has been fitted with a flame guard. The plug in the end of the burner tube is soft soldered in so it can easily be removed to clear any blockage, I have done this to all the meths burners I have made and have yet to remove one, but if it wasn't done..... There has been a trial fitting of the burner in the chassis, so except for painting and a trial light up the burner is complete. A start has been made on designing and making of a gas fired system for the Mamod as can be seen a part made gas tank has been fitted on the footplate.

Well I think this is the end of this thread.

Regards Tony.

Latest posts

Back