A Reply to Lurkers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Majorstrain said:
There's plans for a 1/3rd scale 9 cylinder Gnome monosoupape rotary in the draw ;D, I'll have something to say when that gets underway.

Oooh, do tell! Like in the Plans area. Inquiring minds want to know!

BEst regards,

Kludge

I know, Steve, but it's still worth a try. Heck, I'm a major lurker in several fora, though never quite 100%. If nothing else, if something is unclear, I'll ask one of my typical questions borne out of pure ignorance and ultimate stupidity (or idiocy, dependent on whose POV you prefer) - you know, the ones for which I have an exceptional level of talent.

Anyway, point taken.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge
Back when I traveled so much, I used a similar trick to get a conversation going at nearly any hotel bar I where I made an overnight stop. I sedlom meet a stranger and very few people intimidate me, so I hate sitting alone and drinking in silence.

Ask a local Bostonian (or wherever) the name of the local baseball stadium and he'll look at you like you have two heads. He will however give you a short answer. Cool... a live one and articulate. Where you got them going full tilt was to ask if was still called "The house that Ruth built". From there they simply couldn't resist giving you the area history, which often lead to hearing who was doing what in the local body politic.

After a bit it became apparent that I was playing up my ignorance a wee bit and an admission would follow. That was usually good for a laugh and before long you had a nice local sitting with you and enjoying the drink you just bought them. Admittedly, some places were tougher to break so the ignorance level had to be a bit more outrageous, but those are other stories for other times.

Steve

OK here's a management view of lurkers based on real time.

HMEM has 2128 registered members to date.
1564 of those members have never posted, or have posted and been deleted
because we don't need to grow more hair, lose weight, extend an appendage
or care to see some teenager doing something strange. ::)
The numbers are a little deceiving in that aspect.

Lurkers are as welcome here as active members.

Rick

rake60 said:
we don't need to grow more hair, lose weight, extend an appendage
or care to see some teenager doing something strange. ::)

Speak for yourself! Okay, I wear my hair shaved skin tight but I still need to lose 60 more pounds (if not more), would love to have at least one arm another 8" or so longer after failing to quite reach something that fell under the bench, and strange is the norm in Waianae. ;D

The numbers are a little deceiving in that aspect.

Number lie! Or, that's the excuse I tried during an IRS audit. Somehow it didn't work. :-[

Lurkers are as welcome here as active members.

I know. OTOH, I bet at least a few (Majorstrain, as an example) have something cool going on or can add to the pool of knowledge we have. But, as I told Cedge, point taken.

On the other hand, how will we gather statistics on the important questions in life such as their preferences vis-a-vis Scots vs Irish whiskey? Pepsi vs Coke?

BEst regards,

Kludge ... still looking for the question the answer to which is 42.

Cedge said:
the ignorance level had to be a bit more outrageous, but those are other stories for other times.

Okay, so the ignorance level had to be something approaching what mine is normally. I can deal with this. :D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge said:
And the idea of the game here is to get the lurkers out of lurk mode, even if it's just to recite the entire battle order of the former Soviet Union. Backwards.

I don't know an easy way to play it in reverse :big:

USSR/ Soviet National Anthem - Red Army Choir

[youtube=425,350]8MS2vZLW9Xk[/youtube]​

:D :D :big: :big:

Oooo
That borders on politics.
We don't allow that here.

This is an American based site.
I believe Bill Murry's character in the movie Stripes put that into prospective with
these words:

"Our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world.
We are the wretched refuse, the underdog, we're mutts...
but there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal,
that's more lovable than the mutt."

That is about as political as we are allowed to be. ;)

Rick

Lurker reporting for duty.....

I'd comment here more often but as a noob to machining, model engineering and this forum I've encountered two major problems;

a. information overload; and
b. every time I force myself to make swarf I run into the old "but first I need this tool or this material" ..... skunked again

So if I'm not posting a lot it's because I'm suffering from what my best friend refers to as "butt lock". I'm by nature a person who collects and loves researching material, having started this new hobby by hording literature on the subject.

It hasn't helped that the answers and guidance I've received here is so good, and the site is such a resource.....so I've resolved to stop researching and just mangle more metal, when I'm stumped I'll just bug you guys..... ;D

You can blame Kludge :big: :bow:

Garry

Well, the problem is where to start. I have been sitting here for 5+ days of lurking...my how time flies when your having fun. I have been on disability and recovering from cancer for the last 2.5 yrs. The company that I worked for 39 years decided to shut down :rant: on the last day of my chemo treatment ;D. My recovery is too slow but improving. I was the Headfiler there and got a nice package.

I have bought a CQ 6125 9X20 Chinese lathe...got a smokin' deal $599.00 can. a few months back. I'm waiting for our weather to warm up some as one of the sideaffects is I'm sensitized to the cold...my feet get like ice blocks. This has not changed much :wall:.

Anyhow when I get in to making chips I'm shure there will be questions and I know that there will be awnsers of all kinds.

I would like to comment on the workmanship here...OUTSTANDING

Thanks to Kludge for pulling me out of the woodwork.

Regards

Philly

Kludge said:
(Majorstrain, as an example) have something cool going on or can add to the pool of knowledge we have.

Not gulty Kludge, I'm still learning from you guys and hanging over the shoulder of the guys in the workshop at work.
I haven't built an engine yet, just converting a plan for a beam engine into metric that was listed in another post.
That will be my first and I'll post the Metric plans when done.

Kludge said:
Oooh, do tell! Like in the Plans area. Inquiring minds want to know!

Love to but can't - The plans are copyright to Stephen Wessel.
Below is a small excerpt from his construction notes
Attached is a pic he sent me.

Stephen Wessel - A 1/3 scale model of the Gnome “Monosoupape” 9 cylinder rotary engine said:
Introduction

By comparison to the later, much modeled Bentley BR2 or the contemporary 80Hp Le Rhone engines, the Gnome Monosoupape 100Hp is a relatively straightforward build. No castings are needed, nor induction pipes and there are fewer valve components. If modeled to 1/3 scale or larger, the sound of the engine will be very realistic and its speed similar to that of the full size version. The prototype of this design has flown a scale Sopwith Pup very successfully and continues to do so. (See articles in Engineering in Miniature Dec 06 & Jan 07)

Cheers Phil

inside crankcase. Notice tight clearance between pistons at BDC.jpg

gmac said:
Lurker reporting for duty.....

Suck in that gut, sailor! Oh, wait. That's a mirror. Sorry!

Anyway, you've come to the right place for information overload and sympathy regarding things still missing from inventory - tools, materials, beverages of choice, companions of choice (which is actually more my problem than anyone else's), shop heat or a means of reducing shop heat.

I'm by nature a person who collects and loves researching material,

That's butt lock? I'm in deep doodoo then, 'cuz I have far more research material than I could ever read in ten lifetimes. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my favorite "required reading" is the eBook versions of text books and the paperwork from patents, all prior to 1920 (Don't ask why that year; I don't know!) with the exception of some material on electronics that was printed as late as 1950 or so. But those are also the source of ideas that lead to some really cool things or questions that just might stump the experts.

On the other hand, I'm at a standstill on research for my book since I can't get to the Smithsonian, National Archives, Wright-Pat AFB et al, and I can't afford anyone to go for me. I mean, it's not like I want them to go to Edwards AFB or Nellis AFB (more specifically to Groom Lake) or anything! :D

It hasn't helped that the answers and guidance I've received here is so good, and the site is such a resource.....so I've resolved to stop researching and just mangle more metal, when I'm stumped I'll just bug you guys..... ;D

That's the spirit!

You can blame Kludge :big: :bow:

Garry, I'll take the blame for this quite willingly. :D

BEst regards,

Kludge

PhillyVa said:
Thanks to Kludge for pulling me out of the woodwork.

My pleasure, Philly.

We have an area for folks working with disabilities and you may want to check in there. GainInNM started it and it is gaining some love.

On the questions vs answers issue ... I have a belief that there are answers here to questions no one has bothered asking. There are also answers that can satisfy a great number of questions, answers like "duct tape."

By the way, while the cause is different, my daughter also has the side effect of "icicle feet". For someone like her who used to be quite happy as a snow bunny, that is not a good thing.

BEst regards,

Kludge

jlmanatee said:
“Let us be silent, that we may hear the whispers of the gods.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silence is true wisdom's best reply.
~ Euripides

It's good to shut up sometimes.
~ Marcel Marceau ;D

But do you know the question the answer to which is 42? :big: :big: :big:

Best regards,

Kludge

Majorstrain said:
Not gulty Kludge,
Guilt by association, Phil. No way around it. :big:

I haven't built an engine yet, just converting a plan for a beam engine into metric that was listed in another post.

That in itself could be discussed in the Plans area since the metric-Imperial conversion isn't always pretty and 'tweeners show up in threaded items with unpleasant frequency. But then, Imperial in itself has both fractional and number sizes which adds to the fun.

Love to but can't - The plans are copyright to Stephen Wessel.
Below is a small excerpt from his construction notes

Actually, you can post on it - observations, questions regarding how to build it, how a rotary engine works, etc. See? Lotz of kewl stuph!

BEst regards,

Kludge

OK, OK, I know the question for the answer 62 my waist size!! Oh Oh wait a minute that was 42. See that why I am a lurker. Eye sight going along with a lot of other things.

hitandmissman said:
OK, OK, I know the question for the answer 62 my waist size!! Oh Oh wait a minute that was 42. See that why I am a lurker. Eye sight going along with a lot of other things.

ROFLMAO! We're in the same boat, and it's taking on water fast! That 60 pounds I mentioned elsewhere that I need to lose ... that's an absolute minimum. Trying to balance that against my love of "local kine grinds" just isn't working as well as my doctor would like. Ah, well.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Another lurker here. I thought I'd jump in again.
I have a situation and want to know if this happens to you all too. I start a project, then find that I need to make some tool for the project, then find I need to make an improvement to the mill or lathe before I can make the tool, then find I need to make a fixture for the improvement before I can use the mill or lathe, then ................
Pretty soon I'm months behind on the project. Heck, I can't even remember what the project was. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun. But I find it ironic.

- Jack :eek:

Well Jack,
I don't think that will ever go away. The spot I am in is about how you described. My mill and lathes I had were just way too big to do smaller work. I sold them with the intent to get smaller machines as nothing was in my shop that would hold a #40 or smaller drill bit. Anything I did took more time to compromise or make a workholding fixture to get things done. So now I have a smaller mill/drill that fits my needs better than the old mill. Found a rotary table that will fit it with out having to make T nuts to fit the table. Haven't found a small lathe that excites me yet. The biggest thing I look for in the plans is the part that that says " this is a fun weekend project". When I read that I have to chuckle. My mind is telling me I should be able to make it in a year or year and a half.

:big:

Kenny

jlmanatee said:
Another lurker here. I thought I'd jump in again.
I have a situation and want to know if this happens to you all too. I start a project, then find that I need to make some tool for the project, then find I need to make an improvement to the mill or lathe before I can make the tool, then find I need to make a fixture for the improvement before I can use the mill or lathe, then ................
Pretty soon I'm months behind on the project. Heck, I can't even remember what the project was. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun. But I find it ironic.

- Jack :eek:

A common problem Jack. Gotta make a tool to make tool to make a tool to make a part for the project!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back