A Reply to Lurkers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kludge

Gentles, we all started somewhere. Trust me, no one here was born with no less than 30 years experience on every shop machine known to mankind, and some that haven't even been invented yet. (They're elsewhere and are welcome to stay there.) Instead what's here is a bunch of old friends who for the greater part have never met and are highly unlikely to do so, and everyone here - including you and you and you - is part of the party. We're about enjoying the hobby and not taking ourselves too seriously.

We pass information back and forth. We use our experience to help those with less experience, and listen when someone can help us. Everyone, beginner or not, has something to offer. (Fer instance, I serve as a bad example. :)) It may not even be directly related to machining but may be something that comes up in conversation that can help. Never be afraid to speak up! Never!

If you've never made swarf & chips yet, so what? You're here which says you have an interest. Ask questions if nothing else. As Rake60 stated in Marv's thread, there are no dumb questions ... though I admit sometimes the answers get a bit strange. (Witness what happened in Artrans' thread about rude people when someone (*ahem*) asked about why one would want to catch flies.) You may never turn anything in your life but as long as the interest is there, who cares? Actually, you're stuck here even if you lose interest ... kind of like Hotel California. :)

So, speak up. Enjoy. Ask questions. Make observations and/or jokes. (Added points for doing all three at the same time.)

Best regards,

Kludge

I'm kinda sure that I am not the one to whom this post is directed.

But I agree with you one hundred percent Kludge. The NET ain't no place to be all shy and stuff.

Well, that's my philosophy at least. I may never be famous but I act like I am every minute of the day. ;D

Kermit

(quote)
(We're about enjoying the hobby and not taking ourselves too seriously. )

this is it on the money :bow: well put

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here!

There is no antidote once bitten by the latheing bug

A yatcht is a rich mans toy for poor men to play on,
a lathe is a way of making the rich man poor and
keeping the poor poor.

There is the right way, the wrong way, and the machinists way.
Anonymouse

You can talk to yourself all you want but you get better answers if you talk to someone else.

Jerry

“Let us be silent, that we may hear the whispers of the gods.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silence is true wisdom's best reply.

~ Euripides

It's good to shut up sometimes.

~ Marcel Marceau ;D

Brian Rupnow said:
Notice how all the answers are from the same 3% that always post----

Good point. So a challenge to the lurkers: SAY SOMETHING!!!!!

BEst regards,

Kludge

O.K. Kludge I will say something !!!

I have now found the on/off switches on my new lathe & mill and now reading all the interesting info. in here every day so as to learn how to make something with them.When I do make somthing I will let you all know LOL. :big:

Ian

you no I don't think there is a cure for this problem I have been in many clubs and it is always a certain group that seems to do and say more. I guess as long and what gets said helps someone it really does not matter. I for one get attached to certain members such as Brian and dreeves,and shred and captain Jerry to name a far of the more poplar ones.I look forward to there posts because for one thing I will learn something and there offer great wisdom and no how to the site. So really I do not see lurkers as a problem.

I think you misunderstand, artrans. Lurkers are NOT a problem. Not now, not ever. We'd just like them to speak up and let us know something about them. They are part of the family. They are that silent 97% that Marv tried to get talking in his related topic.

Jerry said it well - "You can talk to yourself all you want but you get better answers if you talk to someone else." The 3% Brian mentioned would be more than happy to talk with that 97%, help them with issues, listen to ideas, learn from them (Yeah, folks; we do NOT know everything.), and just generally join in the madness.

Something I learned a while back was that the person who sits back thinking about a problem rather than jumping in immediately is probably the one who has the best ideas. (Or, stated another way, if an idea sounds dumb but it works then it's not dumb ... and there's only one way to find out if it works.) I know that there's a lot of thinking going on but we never know about it.

By the way, I've had more than my share of dumb ideas. Trust me on this. Not all worked, and a few of those that did shouldn't have, but they were worth trying anyway because I was out of "smart" ones. :D

So ... anyone NOT part of the 3% care to speak up?

BEst regards,

Kludge

Loose nut said:

And the idea of the game here is to get the lurkers out of lurk mode, even if it's just to recite the entire battle order of the former Soviet Union. Backwards.

And, since that's not happening, I would ask the moderaptors to lock, or preferably delete, this thread.

Thank you. have a nice day.

Kludge

96.999999999999999999999% now
I was enjoying lurking on this thread, until Kludge's reverse physiology drew me out ( lock the thread indeed) :bow:

Nothing to report , I've only made a 3" boring head and a replacement part for the Bridgeport so far.
There's plans for a 1/3rd scale 9 cylinder Gnome monosoupape rotary in the draw ;D, I'll have something to say when that gets underway.

Well back to sit on the 3% - 97% fence Rof}

still enjoying the thread

Phil

P.s Any members in Perth, Western Australia? PM me, I'd like to find out about clubs and workshops here.

DON"T kill the thread. I love these kind of posts by members.

all the information is totally off topic for the club and that gives you a much more complete picture of WHO a person is. I know everyone here is a better machinist than me right now since I have yet to apply power to my lathe. When it comes to the other things in life, I'm even with the lot of you.

One post is not enough to be considered a member of anything ( my opinion).

When I was in school, taunting was all the rage! :eek: Come on Men. Post something.

Are you SKEERED of the internet, or just afraid of your keyboard? ;D

Perhaps you think you have nothing of interest to add or that we will not like it for some reason. WELL, those reasons never stopped me.

Mouth in gear and Brain out of Gas,
Kermit

you no kludge you take one word i said and did not read the whole statment I agree it is fine how ever the site is used some people look some people post thats fine. as far as lock out the subject that is just childess avoid a subject it stead of dealing with. Kludge the point is someone will always how something to say sometimes good sometimes not so good . I do not care what subject you post try china lathe vs old american iron like sb you will have so many good and bad responses its a opinion for the most part. You take someone that has a 10ee which to me is a dream machine and then compare it to a grizzley or worse habor frieght and see the response but its the person using the machine that really makes the differnce. nothing against hf just using for a point.

I'm a lurker.

I'm in the process of building my shop. My tools have been in storage for almost four years now. Until I have the shop operational, I don't really have anything to contribute to the discussions. I am reading and learning though and look forward to actually getting started again so I'll have questions to ask and useful things to say.

Until then, back to my dark corner. :)

Terry

Kludge
An internet truism...
Lukers is lurkers until they ain't. Some will come into the light, but not until the light becomes irresistible. Others will forever stay in the shadows where things are safe and comfortable. Either way.... it happens for their own personal reasons.

Former and sometimes still a Lurker
Steve

Latest posts

Back