A Reply to Lurkers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1Kenny said:
...the part that that says " this is a fun weekend project". When I read that I have to chuckle. My mind is telling me I should be able to make it in a year or year and a half.

Heh. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

jlmanatee said:
Another lurker here. I thought I'd jump in again.
I have a situation and want to know if this happens to you all too. I start a project, then find that I need to make some tool for the project, then find I need to make an improvement to the mill or lathe before I can make the tool, then find I need to make a fixture for the improvement before I can use the mill or lathe, then ................
Pretty soon I'm months behind on the project. Heck, I can't even remember what the project was. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun. But I find it ironic.

- Jack

Some of that is unavoidable but it's important to take note of your personal psychology when you encounter it.

For most people, motivation is most inflated by completing something. If a project languishes too long, there's a very good chance it will never be completed. The resulting effect on the psyche is not good. The project does not need to be perfect (or made in perfect adherence to established shop protocol) to be satisfying and motivational.

I keep two project lists. One is actual engines and models I want to build and the other is production items - tools, jigs, fixtures and tool mods that will help to make future tasks easier or more accurate.

While building a model, I will divert to make a tool or jig that is *essential* to the job but, before doing that, I will try hard to "work around" the absence of the item, put it on my second project list, and just soldier on. (Actually, "working around" can be as creatively satisfying as making the missing item.)

Since I build mostly small models, when one is finished I'm ready for some less finicky work before I go back to single-pointing 0-80 screws, etc.. So, as a breather, I knock off a few items on the production project list. This approach works well for me since, with no model project waiting on the item, I'm motivated to spend the time to design and build the production item properly so it becomes a truly flexible addition to my tool arsenal.

After a few years of this regimen, I find now that most of the kit I need to make something is already in the arsenal and there is much less diversion while making an actual engine or model. Put another way, the number of "work arounds" diminishes and the craftsmanship level on the models increases. Both effects bolster the motivation level.

Marv;
Thanks for your post - it's gold to me. This was the guidance I've needed for the past year of fumbling in the dark trying to get this hobby "over-center". Someone sticky this post for us noobs where we can find it first.

regards
Garry

Garry,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad it was of some help.

One of the satisfactions of this hobby is what it will teach you about your own mentality and personality quirks. If you're to do well, you must come to grips with your personality and adjust your work habits to fit with it. It's a process that's simultaneously frustrating and revealing but nonetheless essential.

It's much more fun than psychoanalysis but only (arguably) a bit cheaper. :)

"but only (arguably) a bit cheaper"

not by much......but then I've only just started - the hobby not the analysis...!

Garry

Marv, if you are like me, there is as much enjoyment in making tools & fixtures (that works) as there is in making some of these engines. I haven't found many of these tools or fixtures that haven't been used over & over.

Majorstrain
For many years I could not get my head around how
rotary? engines worked. As they say a pic is worth a
thousand words.
BR

shoot im starting to like making tools more then the engines even though i have not made that much. alll the tooling ive made so far brings me much enjoyment. im not that good with my equitment but im sure one day i will be.

Kludge said:
But do you know the question the answer to which is 42? :big: :big: :big:

Best regards,

Kludge

Heya Kludge.... Im not sure but could the question relating to your answer be "what is the meaning of life?" Not sure if that is the correct question but its answer surely is '42'.... i just checked it with my slide rule.... ::)

Latest posts

Back