A quick hello from an utter newbie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinsquirrel

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wanted to introduce myself after "lurking" for a few days. I have to say that this is by far the friendliest and most informative forum I have found, I was going to say "so far" but I think my search is over for now. I will be very happy if I can produce items of half the quality of the ones I have seen here.

My machining knowledge is minimal to say the least, the only experience I have comes from 3 months in a machine shop as part of an electronics engineering apprenticeship served at The Royal Aerospace Establishment getting on for 20 years ago most of which was spent wielding a file and scraper.

Bought myself a lathe now and looking forward to using it in anger,

cheers

David

Hello David,

Welcome to HMEM. Lookin' forward to your progress on that lathe!

Chuck

Hi David from another relative newcomer, I have about the same level of experience as you so don't feel alone when you see some of the wonderful creations on here, don't worry ...... we'll get there ;)

atb

CC ........... aka ............ Dave

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I already feel quite at home here.

David

Well I've only been a member for just over a day and I already feel VERY welcome, a personal thank you to Rake60 for putting this board together, I know from experience that apart from the small matter of the technical issues and sheer hard work of running a board like this, it's is the board designers empathy with the users that make it a success. :bow:

I'd also like to thank the contributors who have gone out of their way to answer my, perhaps silly, questions....you know who you are.

Anyway I'm not usually given to public displays of adulation so 'nuff said.

David

Welcome aboard and I have to ask about the story behind your moniker "twinsquirrel" . There is usually a story that goes with it.

Hi Chiliviking,

Your name is pretty intriguing I'd love to hear the story behind that too!!!

I took my name from a 1/8th scale R/C model helicopter, an aerospatiale ecureuil 2 AS350, which is known in Europe as "Twin-Squirrel" and in the U.S. as a "Twin-Star" which my father and I built together a good 25 years ago. It was around that time ( I was 11) that I realised the amazing depth of my fathers knowledge in what seemed like all things. We really got to know each other during that time, the project took about 2 years, and he has since told me that it was about that time when I started to become "interesting". I look back on that time with fond memories and use the name as a bit of a reminder.

Bit of a dull story but thanks for asking,

David

I used to work line service in high school and we rfuled the local life flight twin-stars got a chance to catch an occasional ride too (Not as a mission passenger thankfully ::))

Latest posts

Back