A pedestal for my Taig lathe -- Completed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timB

Reaction score
Hi,

Well this was a nice newbie project and i learned a great deal from it.

To finish it up i very carefully measured the the hole pattern on the foot of the lathe. Being careful here really paid off because it fit just like i wanted it. Equal space on the front and ends and a more on the back. Drilled and tapped #10-32 holes 1/2 deep top and bottom. On the top, i used 1" long set screws to act as studs.

Then a little clean up with a file and 600 paper and done.

Here are several pictures for ya.
D200_02712.jpg

... and a close up of the ridges (that sort of match the Taig base) produced by the fly cutter.
D200_02712b.jpg

Thank you HMEM members for the encouragement,
tim

Tim

That sure turned out nice. Reinforces my desire to do one.

Cheers, Joe

Hummm, That looks suspiciously like a Sherline pulley on there. Are you using their motor as well?

Nice looking pedestal too. That's something I've been meaning to do for years!

Steve C.

Hi Joe & Steve C.

ThanX guys for the compliment.

As i said, a newbie project, built to any degree of accuracy desired. I tried for my best, sloppy work is always easy. ::) Joe, i say go for it; probably take you a fraction of the time it took me.

Indeed, a Sherline pulley. Yes, i also have their motor, a vast improvement in performance and usability. I made a mount that attaches the motor to the headstock. I works well, but i'm not sure it's a good idea to have all that weight there. I think i may attach it to the rear of the pedestal now that there is more room.

tim

Looks terrific, Tim. Very nice job!

timB said:
I works well, but i'm not sure it's a good idea to have all that weight there.

Won't hurt it at all, Tim. I have my 1/4 hp DC motor mounted on the back side of the head stock, too.
It's a bit bigger than the Sherline motor. Compared to the force on the head stock when you're making
cuts, that little motor isn't much.

Dean

Hi krv3000,

Sorry, i didn't get your name.

Anyhow, in the original post, i linked to Engineman's website where he has images of a Taig with a pedestal. I modeled mine after that, so i can't take credit for the idea. Take a look there if you want to see brilliant. He has done some nice mods to the Taig.

tim

Deanofid said:
Compared to the force on the head stock when you're making
cuts, that little motor isn't much.

Dean,

Never thought of it like that; you are so right.

The Sherline motor is almost a bolt on mod for the Taig lathe. It also comes with a speed controller. On their website there is info on modding the controller with a reverse switch. I chose to make my own bracket, which has it hanging off the back and to the left. I'm thinking if I reverse the direction I can tuck it away right behind the pedestal. I'm of the mind that a tool should not only work good, but look good also. ;D A future project i suppose.

... and thanX very much for the compliment.

tim

timB said:
... and thanX very much for the compliment.

tim

You had it coming. That's a nice job!

Mind your P's & Q's when using a reverse switch on a lathe that has a threaded on chuck. It will
be handy for things like backing out taps when you're threading, but it will also spin the chuck
right off if you forget your manners. ;)

Dean

HI tim sos for not leaving my name but your work is still brill even if you did copy the idea a lot of work wood not happen if we never copy things ;D from bob

Tim, nice job. Looks just like it belongs there.

Latest posts

Back