A newbie from South Africa

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagner1975

Reaction score
Hallo Everyone

I feel like I know everyone after reading ZEE's - Horizontal Mill Engine. So I guess it's time to introduce myself. My name is Wagner Jordaan, I'm 34 years old and from Tulbagh in South Africa. I'm a farmer and winemaker, so I'm way out of my league here. I got myself a hobbymat lathe and a new Optimum variable speed drill/mill and a lot of the smaller things I'm gonna need. A friend also gave me his Myford super 7, since he doesn't use it. ;D SO .... I have all the tools and material is easy to come by. I started on the Miser, but will have to redo most of it ... I don't think it's a good engine for a newbie to start off with ... so that one is on ice for now. Still looking for some plans that will interest me ... Steam, I think it will be. Will keep you posted!

Anyway, this is an awesome place for newbies like me! Congratulations to all that participate! :bow:

Cheers Wagner

Welcome to the forum! :D Zeep's engine threads seem to motivate a lot of people, and it sounds like you've got a nice shop there. I'm looking forward to seeing what your next project will be... or the progress on the Miser engine!

Wagner,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Wagner !

Oh, there's some really good wines coming from Tulbagh - I know ;) !

Sounds like you're nicely kitted out for a start - and yes, living close to Cape Town, stock shouldn't be a problem ;D

There's some good engines to build on the John Tom site. Even though a lot of the engines built by members here on HMEM is shown running on compressed air, most are actually designed to be run on steam. I can really recommend "Elmer's Fancy" for a first build - run it on compressed air for now, and build a boiler later :)

Kind regards, Arnold
(HMEM is 'n lekker plek om te wees!)

Thank you very much Vernon, Brian, Rick, Bob and Arnold, you make one feel very welcome. :D

Thanks for the link Arnold, there are lots of nice engines on that site ... will have a look at all of them. If you know Tulbagh's wines you'll definitely know mine ... I know it's all over Namibia. We must be the only two Afrikaans people on the forum.

cheers
Wagner

PS o ya the wines called Theuniskraal! *beer*

Wagner1975 said:
PS o ya the wines called Theuniskraal! *beer*

Shades of Wilbur Smith and the Courtneys ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Ha ha, well spotted Bob

I can say though that our wine has had the name Theuniskraal before Wilbur Smith started on his Courtneys. So my conclusion is he must have liked it and incorporated it into his books!

Have a good one
Wagner *beer*

Oh yes, I've have had a couple of bottles of your wine Wagner ;D

And there is definitely at least 3 Afrikaans members on the forum; my dad's a member as well, though he doesn't post (and that makes it at least 2 members from the Western Cape !). There might be more though with the forum having nearly 4000 members now.

Kind regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back