A handy tool with lots of uses.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipintexas

Reaction score
When I'm making small parts in the lathe I often need to position a thin part in the 3-jaw chuck. And it's usually not true. I made this tool to put in the tail-stock chuck to provide a reference surface perpendicular to the lathe axis. Move it close to the chuck and position small parts using its true face.
You can put a finger behind the part and press it against the face and it's true. For come applications, I have cylinders with a hole through to help true parts that were parted off and you want to reverse them for a facing operation. The beginning of the cut-off is true, but the break isn't.

In a Mill-drill, I use it to position odd shapes any time you want the top surface perpendicular to the chuck but can't use parallels. Use the face to position the part, then clamp. Keep the shaft a diameter that fits you chucks.

You can periodically true the reference surface by taking a facing cut in the lathe. It may not be true enough for some, but it's good enough for 99% of my work. One tool has lasted 20+ years.

PICT5180.jpg

I have some large valves from truck engines that might do the same job. Thanks for the idea.

Latest posts

Back