A good oil can?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustkolector

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have a new Asian lathe that has a bunch of those little oil holes with spring loaded balls on top. I have a pump type oil can that fits the holes perfectly, but everytime I pick it up it is wet and sitting in a puddle of oil. I need a pumper since some of the holes need a slight amount of pressure. I have tried a number of new and old oil cans, and so far they all leak. Does a non leaking pump oil can exist?

Jeff

HI the type that i have has a flexible spout that i just bend up when finished so theoil runs back in to the oilcan

Question:

Do the Reilang ones have enough pressure to move the spring loaded ball back in order to force the oil into the
part requiring oiling??

I have a Myford ML7 and find i need to remove the oil nipples and squeeze the oil in first.
Kind of a pain...
I presume the OP is talking about the same sort of oil nipple.

Andrew

I mostly solved the problem by prying out the ball oiling points on my milling machine and replacing them with oil cups. Some places weren't suitable for oil cups, but the ball oilers on the mill are actually pretty good and I don't have much of a problem with them. You might try replacing your ball oilers with new ones, or with oil cups if appropriate.

As far as pump oilers, I've got some Eagle brand all-steel ones that I don't have any problems with.

File a couple of small notches across the end that way the actual nozzle depresses the ball but the end is not blocked by the ball. Works on mine you can see the oil comming out from between teh carrage and bed and not back up around the oiler.

J

krv3000 said:
HI the type that i have has a flexible spout that i just bend up when finished so theoil runs back in to the oilcan

Yep, that works for me too!

Vic.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still need a better pump can. Will look for an Eagle, but the notches idea sounds like it might work for me also.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back