A gift!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baron,

I am going to invest in a better camera!

Hi Rob,
If its any help I bought a "Fujifilm Finepix S1500" although they have since brought out a new version that offers 12 megapixels, where mine is only 10. I paid just over £100,00 for mine but at the time they were retailing for a little more. The new version is the same price as was the old one, otherwise its the same camera.

Don't waste any money on the case for it, its rubbish. I just wrap mine in a clean tea towel when not in use. The only downside, if you can call it that, is it likes batteries. So I use NMih ones ! However I also discovered that some NMih batteries are 2 mm shorter than others and these cause intermittent power failures !

A slight jarring causes the batteries to move breaking the contact at the bottom (or top depending which way you look) in the battery holder. This causes instant switch off and usually leaves the lens extended and you are then unable to replace the lens cap, as does the batteries going flat. Though you do get some warning when that is about to happen unless you are using the flash.

If you don't have any spare batteries handy it leaves the lens and its gear mechanism vulnerable to damage.

Anyway whatever you decide to purchase check that it can do "Macro" that is take pictures close to the object. Mine will go down to 0.8 inches. At least that what it says on the view screen.

Hi Rob,
If its any help I bought a "Fujifilm Finepix S1500" although they have since brought out a new version that offers 12 megapixels, where mine is only 10. I paid just over £100,00 for mine but at the time they were retailing for a little more. The new version is the same price as was the old one, otherwise its the same camera.

Don't waste any money on the case for it, its rubbish. I just wrap mine in a clean tea towel when not in use. The only downside, if you can call it that, is it likes batteries. So I use NMih ones ! However I also discovered that some NMih batteries are 2 mm shorter than others and these cause intermittent power failures !

A slight jarring causes the batteries to move breaking the contact at the bottom (or top depending which way you look) in the battery holder. This causes instant switch off and usually leaves the lens extended and you are then unable to replace the lens cap, as does the batteries going flat. Though you do get some warning when that is about to happen unless you are using the flash.

If you don't have any spare batteries handy it leaves the lens and its gear mechanism vulnerable to damage.

Anyway whatever you decide to purchase check that it can do "Macro" that is take pictures close to the object. Mine will go down to 0.8 inches. At least that what it says on the view screen.

Thank you very much for directing me on the right path. My wife's smart arse phone is dumb. Often I see builds in progress and wish I could share a build as well. Though I am intimidated by the gathering of knowledge and skill HMEN members have.

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

Very nice indeed ! Watching that video, when the engine took off, your fingers were the first thing that entered my mind. I think a G clamp might have been a good idea.

But hey it works a treat. Both you and your Dad should be proud. :cool: :cool: :cool: You because of the success of getting it working properly and Dad for the very fine gift, all the love and care that went into it.

Thanks Baron.....I really didn't know that it would take off as it did. Glad I still have all of my digits.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcZuW-uT-Q[/ame]

Back