A different type of steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerssteamtoys

Reaction score
Has anyone thought of using an impact wrench for a steam engine? They put out alot of torque, but use alot of air. Some are reversible, I have one that reverses. I was wonderind what would happen to them if they ran on steam? Mythbusters made a steam machine gun, the engines were steam powered air tools. [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UkeF1Tu23Q[/ame]

They may use alot of steam but the power to weight ratio is good.

I suppose any air tool would work with steam, internal corrosion aside. I run my 1/2" Snap-On impact at 90 psi for lugnuts.

I believe that corrosion would cause problems aswell, with oil it can be slowed though. I just got thinking about this for my steam car, lost of torwue compared to my converted engine. I could almost have a 1:1 ratio. I would need to attach a water pump and pulley though.

corrosion wouldn't be the only problem...

If you wanted to use a powertool with steam, then how the hell are you going to hold it in your hands ??? ::) ???

Florian,
He was just considering the drive component of the tool for use as a traction engine.

I know, this was clear enough... :D ;D

It just crossed my mind... ;)

Florian

One other issue with an impact wrench is the hammering action. The impact wrench only puts out small bursts at high torque and the hammering mechanism isn't designed for continuous use.

As a learning experience you may want to buy a cheap impact wrench and maybe a cheap air driven cutoff tool from harbor freight or some place similar and just take them apart and play with the bits and pieces. The drive vanes in air tools would probably not like the steam either.

I've learned a lot over the years performing a disection of broken or cheap items. ;D

The hammering action, hmmmmmm. The impact wrenches that mythbusters used did not do that.

I was considering the impact wrench because of its torque. It uses alot of steam or air though. A normal air tool doesnt have that torque.

The hammering action would only activate during the takeoff, once you get going it would stop.

This is just an idea, I might try it when I get my boiler going however.

Ranger--If you like things that run on compressed air or steam, do a web search on "impact cylinders". They are unique, and powerfull enough to be really scary. They are somewhat like a standard air cylinder, but much heavier construction. In operation, they begin to extend like an ordinary cylinder, with air being fed into the cap end, causing the piston to begin moving. After the piston has moved a short distance, it uncovers a whole ring of air inlet ports around the perimeter of the cylinder wall.When that happens, the piston takes off like a rifle bullet. That is the principle behind air powered nail guns.---Brian

Latest posts

Back