7x12 Clarke mini lathe gear stripped

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctm

Reaction score
Hello,
I just found this site and I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

After watching youtube vids from the "Viper" and "tubalcain" I decided to give threading a shot today. I was trying to do a 20TPI and none of the gear selections I read about seemed to fit. I tried to fit 40 65 / 50 as the gear cover displayed but it did not work, I tried 40 20 20 50 and could not get them to fit together. First time ever changing gears so maybe I am doing something wrong. I finally got 80 20 20 80 to fit.

I continued to set the lathe up, compound @ 29.5 D, tool square and I finally started to thread. Well the first two passes went ok and I had a smile on but by the third one the tool bound and stopped the chuck. This happened several more times and the thread was destroyed. So my first attempt at threading was a total failure. I figured out I was not setting the compound correctly, I was several degrees off from 29.5 :hDe:and that the tool was not as square to the work as I had thought. I kept coming into the house and watching a few of the vids over to figure it out.

Once I figure it out and got everything set up properly I turned the lathe on only to discover that the lead screw would not turn. Upon opening the cover I discovered that the two plastic gears circled in red below were stripped. :wall:.

So I was hoping someone can direct me to a place that I can buy just these two gears. I have read that there are metal replacement gears for all but I am not looking to spend that much on this lathe.

Thanks you for any assistance.

2u74pkz.jpg

yep LMS will sell you all the parts you could ever need for that lathe.

fyi. i have the sieg brushless lathe and before i modified it bunch, it used to pop out of gear because the detent was not strong enough to hold the tumblers engaged under heavy cutting. if that happens you will loose the thread indexing.

So in a nut shell You are asking for a source for spare parts for your lathe.
Download this manual for your lathe.

The Clark brand is only a sticker and a paint color.

The lathe you have was manufactured by Shanghai Industries Engineering Goup AKA SIEG

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Products/products.php
tin

In a nut shell yes. I was just conveying the obstacles that a first time lathe owner was experiencing.
Thank you for the link.

Hello,
I tried to fit 40 65 / 50 as the gear cover displayed but it did not work, I tried 40 20 20 50 and could not get them to fit together. First time ever changing gears so maybe I am doing something wrong. I finally got 80 20 20 80 to fit.

Just checking, but you know you have to make adjustments to the gear spacings to fit the different gear combinations don't you?

On the back of the B-C gear shaft there is a nut which, when loosened, allows the shaft to be adjusted. There is also a bracket which, again when loosened, allows the shaft to be moved even more. When changing gears you have to adjust the gears so they fit and mesh together properly.

LMS has a great user guide for your lathe at this link.

In a nut shell yes. I was just conveying the obstacles that a first time lathe owner was experiencing.
Thank you for the link.

We are more than glad to help sort out such stuggles as well. .

No problem when you get a chance post an intro in the welcome area tell us more about yourself your shop and your interest in model engines location helps as well.

Just checking, but you know you have to make adjustments to the gear spacings to fit the different gear combinations don't you?

On the back of the B-C gear shaft there is a nut which, when loosened, allows the shaft to be adjusted. There is also a bracket which, again when loosened, allows the shaft to be moved even more. When changing gears you have to adjust the gears so they fit and mesh together properly.

LMS has a great user guide for your lathe at this link.

I actually had no idea about the nut behind gears B-C. I knew about the arc bracket but never saw the other nut. Thank you so much pointing that out as now it all makes sense. I spoke with LMS and they walked me through the parts I need to get me back up and running.
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back