4-jaw/crankpin centering tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKEYBIRD

Reaction score
I saw this trick on Frank Ford's site and made one this morning. Just a piece of 1/4" drill rod, an MT2 blank arbor and a piece of square stock turned down to a 60 deg. point and hardened a bit.

I held one side of the tool against the front face of the QCTP to align it vertically and whacked the arbor into the tailstock with a lead hammer. Align the punch mark sorta close to center in the 4-jaw and then engage the point of the tool in the dimple. Set up the D.T.I. and it's dead easy to dial it in perfectly. Should make it easier to quickly setup a crankshaft or any other offset projects.

4JawCenter.jpg

4JawCenter3.jpg

4JawCenter2.jpg

DB,

I think it might have been a bit more appealing if it was a round rather than a square end, but of course, there might be an ulterior motive for having it square.

John

DB, I was just going to say what John just said but anyway I think your pics explain a little more than FF's do , at least now I understand the concept!

Giles

Aha!!!

Now I see why.

Now thats one I have never tried.

John

You could skip the morse taper and just grip the rod in a Jacobs in the tail stock. I like the square stock idea too, just took me a bit to "get it" as well. I have used just a springy rod in a center pop and my eyeballs to get things close, this lets you do it in one setup.

Brian

te_gui said:
You could skip the morse taper and just grip the rod in a Jacobs in the tail stock.
Yup. I just happened to have an extra CDCO cheapie MT2 arbor needing a home. ;D

Are they any good has anyone got one?

Always on the look out for a new toy and have been offered one for £170 new.

Its made in china and new tips etc are available on evil bay

Will it be an always use tool like my mill or will it be a space taker like most of my wood working tools that only see occasional use?

Back