4 jaw chuck for Grizzly 9X19...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeR C

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 4 jaw independent chuck for a Grizzly 4000 9X19 lathe. I want one as big as I can but I am worried that when the jaws are opened they will hit the ways. I do realize the jaws are commonly reversable. I am hoping for some suggestions, especially from someone with a 9X19, on what size to get. I am trying to decide between a 4", 5", 5 1/2", and 6". I don't think the lathe would handle a chuck larger than a 6", but that's why I'm asking.
Any hints on where to find a back plate, the spindle is metric 39X4, would also be welcome.

Thank you,
MikeR C

I own a Grizzly 9 x 20 and did not like the 4 jaw independent chuck that came with the lathe. Like you I considered the range of chucks available. The yahoo 9x 20 forum has a lot of discussion about this subject. While some have gone to the 6" chuck with satisfactory results I decided on the 5" because of the issue of the jaws contacting the ways. I'm pleased with the choice and I still think going larger in size may not neccessarily mean you can mount larger stock without the jaws contacting the ways or the front of the crosslide. Even the 5" chuck takes a bit of time to spin up to speed.

I bought the 39 x 4 threaded backplate from Grizzly for less than $30 and the chuck from Little Machine Shop for about $70. The combination has worked well for me.

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Phil

HI mikeR C. I'm facing the same questions you ask. My Enco 9x20 came with a four jaw that seems to me to be less than suitable for my projects. I tried to use it afew times and just gave up.

I just looked at LMS chucks and the jaws are curved for round stock? My spindle thread is 1-1/2" x 8, I think.

I,m getting a little tired of "faking" instead of "making" parts that require an independent four jaw chuck.

I don't have a clue as to how to machine an accurate back plate. Heard its a job for a real pro.

I hope some one comes along to help you out, and I could use some sound advise too.

-MB

I went with the 4-Jaw 4" from LMC.
I bought the M39 x 4 Thread 4" Dia adapter at the same time.

LMC has instruction on how to properly turn the registration boss on the chuck
adapter on their site as a pdf link.
http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/LathChuckAdapters.pdf

Rick

Nice thread... I'm watching this one, because I'm planning to get a 9x20 soon.

Mike I know your looking for a 4 jaw but thought I throw ya a pic of mine with a 6" 3 jaw to show ya the size difference.
001-4.jpg

Matt

My Grizzly 9 X 19 came with that same 4 jaw chuck.
It is pretty much worthless. I had two the screws sockets nearly stripped out
within a week from trying to tighten jaws up on small stock. Then I wised up
and started placing shims in front of the jaws. That was a P.I.T.A!
I never saw a 4 jaw chuck with jaws that would not go to center before that one.

I paid the extra for the Grizzly over the Harbor Freight 9 X 20 because it included
the 4 jaw chuck. For the money wasted, I could have bought the Harbor Freight
offering and the usable 4 jaw chuck from LMS.

We live and learn.

Rick

rake60 said:
My Grizzly 9 X 19 came with that same 4 jaw chuck.
It is pretty much worthless. I had two the screws sockets nearly stripped out
within a week from trying to tighten jaws up on small stock. Then I wised up
and started placing shims in front of the jaws. That was a P.I.T.A!
I never saw a 4 jaw chuck with jaws that would not go to center before that one.

I paid the extra for the Grizzly over the Harbor Freight 9 X 20 because it included
the 4 jaw chuck. For the money wasted, I could have bought the Harbor Freight
offering and the usable 4 jaw chuck from LMS.

We live and learn.

Rick

Sorry to hear that you to had a bad experience with that 'sad' four jaw. Thanks for posting your true experience. I was thinking that members would post that there is no problem with the 'nice' four jaw chuck that came with their lathe. And the problem was indeed my lack of ability.

Thanks for the link to the back plate machining instructions. Sounds a little beyond my abilities at the moment, but what choice do I have. Its time I dealt with this problem and moved forward.

So it looks like the choices from LMS are four, five, or six inch, and they also have both 1-1/2"-8 and M39 x4 backing plates.

Looks like LMS may have what I need including a reasonable price for a backing plate. After barring any other possible sources, I'll be making a decision shortly.

Thanks!

-MB

I got that same chuck with my Jet 9x20. I've used it a few times and it got the job done but it was kind of a pain. If you don't mind fiddling around and massaging it it will work. The trick I found was to finger-tighten the nuts on the back so you could still (barely) move the jaws. Then when the jaws are tightened down on the workpiece where you want them, tighten the back nuts and then check the workpiece to make sure it's still where it belongs. Someday I want to get a real 4-jaw, so I'll be watching this thread.

I may have found the lowest price on standard import 4 jaw independent chucks. They carry a 4" and a 6". At these prices I just might buy both and cover all the beses, from normally small to the largest work and chuck my 9 x 20 can handle. LMS seems to have the best deal on a backing plate for both 4" and 6" chucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-4-JAW-PLAIN-B...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a9d234af

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PRECISION-4-J...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item29fcbcce90

Any body have any experience with this brand of chuck? I think Discount machine carries the same ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-4-JAW-INDEPEN...QQptZBI_Tool_Work_Holding?hash=item45edaae470

-MB

Nice find MB. Might get set up faster than I thought.

1hand said:
Nice find MB. Might get set up faster than I thought.

Have a little faith in me. I'm old and slow, but not that old and slow...LOL

-MB

No, No, At that price I was talking about me getn the 4 jaw............lol

1hand said:
No, No, At that price I was talking about me getn the 4 jaw............lol

I knew what ya meant! I was just havin a giggle,....lol......lol

I placed my order in early, figurin all the lurkers might wipe out thesellers inventory.

Buyer beware! I have never dealt with this seller. And this story could end on a very sour note. This seller could be holding an empty egg-less basket. Furthermore, the quality of these chucks could be poor, making them useless. Unless of course your looking for a heavy paper weight, or a very light canoe anchor. I have never picked, nor do I know how to pick, a four jaw chuck. I have never used, nor do I know how to use, a four jaw chuck. I have never installed, or fully understand how to install, a four jaw chuck. Without any back ground experience my choice is nothing more than a gamble, and I feel lucky. I hope you understand, and hold me blame less in any event.

As Sgt. Shultz would say, "I know nnootthhing." (Hogan's Heroes):big:

But for all you brave souls (like me) that order one, I wish you the best of luck. :)

-MB

Keep an eye on the shipping costs for that Discount Machine chuck--$43 chuck but $23 shipping? WTF? $10-13 Priority mail is more reasonable.

winklmj said:
Keep an eye on the shipping costs for that Discount Machine chuck--$43 chuck but $23 shipping? WTF? $10-13 Priority mail is more reasonable.

Good point! However, it could be that your location is far from the sellers shipping point. Mine shows the shipping from DM to be about $15. Also it's good to know that a lot of sellers on E-Bay make a "little extra" by avoiding "seller fees", and add "profit" to the shipping cost. I'm not saying that any of the above sellers are doing just that.

You need to compare "total (delivered) cost" when choosing between sellers of identical items. The sellers reputation is also a factor worth consideration. Any seller with a "percentage rating" below normal body temperature (98.6) is questionable.

-MB

-MB

Edit; Must be two of us! :big:

I really appreciate all of the replies. I do have the chuck that came with the lathe, but as most people observed, it is a pretty poor excuse for a chuck.
After reading what has been posted above I think i have made up my mind to get a 6". After looking a bit harder at the 6" chucks a couple of the suppliers spec'ed the largest diameter the chuck could hold as well as the diameter the chuck would be with the jaws extended and it appears it would not hit the ways.

Matt, do you have any problems with the 6" 3-jaw? I would like to have a larger 3-jaw as well.

Metal Butcher, both of you :), could you possibly post your observations after receiving your chuck?

Thank you all,
MikeR C

No Problems with the 6" 3jaw. Actually was using it till 4am this morning "little burst of energy last night". Just got it from Enco for $89 with the free shipping. Real happy with it so far. Just problems with figuring center points of two conjoining circles "hence the 4am"..............lol

Matt

MikeR C said:
Metal Butcher, both of you :), could you possibly post your observations after receiving your chuck?

Thank you all,
MikeR C

Your welcome MikeR C. Yes I will. We look forward to posting our opinions on the chucks when they come in. Hopefully they will answer the questions that arose by buying an unfamiliar accessory, from an unknown source. But, I'm very excited, so hopefully the wait won't be too long. I ordered two for the both of us. MB1 wanted the smaller (he never has enough money) but adequate 4" one, and I, (MBII) wanted the 6" (to avoid the grief) just in case a larger one is needed. ::) I was the boy scout and always prepared. And MB1 was always a day late and a dollar short! :big:

-MB I&II

Back